Digital/pdf version of NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_picard

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to add bookmarks or comments to the .pdf version of the NEC. The download form the NFPA is (SECURED), seems like a lot of money to spend on a igital document that I can't even highlight.

I'm hoping, in this case anyhow, that I'm a fool and missing something very simple. Any tech-savvy electricians out there?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is the file secured against both copying and cut and paste too?
There is a chance that you could bookmark in a copy or copy the entire contents into a new document (if you own Acrobat rather then just Reader)

Tapatalk!

c_picard

I did find a workaround, but it makes it so all the existing chapter bookmarks are lost. Kind of a bummer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The digital version that you buy allows comments (sticky notes) and highlighting. I doubt the online version will allow that.

c_picard

Bought the .pdf, not the free online version. Encrypted and password protected, so no editing allowed other than copy and paste. Having bookmarks is the equivalent to tabs, and a 900 page document is cumbersome without either. Certainly not worth $90.

fmtjfw

Bought the .PDF. Shows up as 70-14SB-PDF.pdf (SECURED) in the reader. Has a blue licensing two liner at the beginning of each page.

I can color areas with highlighter tool, add notes, save and reload the .pdf. Do not lose bookmarks.

Using Adobe Reader X version 10.1.9

I haven't done anything funny to it. (Although having been a software engineer for 30+ years, I'm confident that if the DRM (data rights management) prevented me from doing something I needed to do with the file, I 'd find a way.)

fmtjfw

Just a thought: Are you using it in the original location (on your computer) that you downloaded it to? If so copy it to another location and open the copy. Also you might try using different versions of Adobe Reader.

c_picard

Same here...existing bookmarks are there, but the "add bookmark" button is greyed out.

c_picard

I'll give that a shot when I get back. It was also suggested I try saving as, or exporting, but no worky. Just get a password prompt. I emailed NFPA tech support also.

HackElectric

The free version isn't going to give you the same options as the one that costs $80 (or whatever it is this year).

c_picard

In this case that's the problem. I paid the $90 bucks and the doc I have isn't any better than using the find command on the free version.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is what I see

And yes it works
ry%3D480

HackElectric

In this case that's the problem. I paid the $90 bucks and the doc I have isn't any better than using the find command on the free version.

Yeah, now that I went back I see that you said you did pay for it. My mistake.

Which program are you using to view it, Adobe?

c_picard

Tried with foxit and adobe (full not just reader) I can comment in adobe, no bookmarking functionalities. I have a 2011 version, and I can add bookmarks in adobe and foxit.

kwired

Electron manager
That takes care of stickies and highlights. Can you also add (named) bookmarks?

Tapatalk!
Why can't NFPA add more bookmarks then they have??

Some shorter sections isn't so bad but try quickly finding your way to something in the second half of art 250 or 430:(

I speak mostly of 2011pdf though I'd bet 2014 isn't much different. I wouldn't waste any money on a pdf, I can navigate a hard copy faster then a pdf. Go for the e-book version would be my solution though I haven't tried it yet, it has to be nearly impossible to have worse navigation tools then the pdf does.

I have no issue with the existence of pdf's but they just are not for long documents that you plan to access frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.