Dimmer delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

Have any of you experienced the following with newer Lutron dimmers: There is, roughly, a one second delay when first turning the light on. At work we have a newer Lutron dimmer controlling an led bulb, which exhibits the delay I've described. (It's enclosed in a display case so I can't readily swap the bulb out for another). I thought the delay was due to the led bulb but recently I've heard that this delay also happens with incandescent. Anyone know what the deal is here?

Besoeker

Have any of you experienced the following with newer Lutron dimmers: There is, roughly, a one second delay when first turning the light on. At work we have a newer Lutron dimmer controlling an led bulb, which exhibits the delay I've described. (It's enclosed in a display case so I can't readily swap the bulb out for another). I thought the delay was due to the led bulb but recently I've heard that this delay also happens with incandescent. Anyone know what the deal is here?
Possibly controlled phase on to avoid inrush when used on incandescent?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've noticed it too where the light seems to ramp up as opposed to coming full on with new dimmers that can dim CFL, LED and incandescent.

ritelec

Just to mention......installed a fan/light......off two switches (regular single poles).
A-lamps on fan.

Same thing as you mentioned. Turn on switch, slight delay for bulb to light ??? weird.

Besoeker

Just to mention......installed a fan/light......off two switches (regular single poles).
A-lamps on fan.

Same thing as you mentioned. Turn on switch, slight delay for bulb to light ??? weird.
What type of bulb is it?

ritelec

What type of bulb is it?

incandescent....smaller thread base....not as small as candelabra (or maybe they are), not as large as a regular a incandescent lamp.
If memory serves me correctly and they make such a thing....

Installed it a few weeks ago...... the lights came on and I had to jump to something else...

Finished the job monday and turned the light on and off one more time.......yes they delay..... they work..... the job from hell is done.....

cadpoint

hypothetical

1 Second = 1 complete Cycle - completes or enough to empty running sine wave.

Place the correct resistor infront of the input that toasts up and then lets the rest do it's part.

MBWG! :)

The lamp base you mentioned is an intermediate base, primarily used in appliances.

PJHolguin :cool:

incandescent....smaller thread base....not as small as candelabra (or maybe they are), not as large as a regular a incandescent lamp.
If memory serves me correctly and they make such a thing....

Installed it a few weeks ago...... the lights came on and I had to jump to something else...

Finished the job monday and turned the light on and off one more time.......yes they delay..... they work..... the job from hell is done.....

ceknight

.... I thought the delay was due to the led bulb but recently I've heard that this delay also happens with incandescent. Anyone know what the deal is here?

I had a few chats with Lutron recently about a peculiar problem I was having with their DIVA switches and some LED lighting. In the course of trying to figure out a solution, he mentioned that last year they added a microprocessor to the DIVA that powers up before the dimmer takes over. Or something like that.

That could maybe be it, assuming it's the switch you're using?

GerryB

The reason for the delay is so the customer can say "why doesn't the light come on right away" and "It didn't do that before", and you can mumble and fumble around before admitting "I don't know"

mark32

The reason for the delay is so the customer can say "why doesn't the light come on right away" and "It didn't do that before", and you can mumble and fumble around before admitting "I don't know"

Haha! This is exactly the reason I posted this question. So far we've learned that Lutron, in the newer CL dimmers, installed a microprocessor, for what purpose we don't know, but do know that it maybe responsible for the delay. There should be some mention of this on the packaging.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
Mark32,
I have a lot of Insteon dimmers in my house. They have a programmable "ramp up" at turn on as Besoeker has said to limit inrush current into incandescent lamps. Also provides a nice aesthetic feel. Serves to prolong lamp life.

Status
Not open for further replies.