Directional Boring Warning Ribbon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
NEC 2017, 300.5(D)(3) doesn't seem to have any exclusions to any specific way of underground wiring, but it is specific to service conductors. Does make sense from a safety perspective as service conductors have no or limited overload or fault protection for if it is struck in future excavations. Section also didn't say if it's easy then do it, if not, don't. Directional Boring of service conductors doesn't make it any safer from future excavation damage.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
NEC 2017, 300.5(D)(3) doesn't seem to have any exclusions to any specific way of underground wiring, but it is specific to service conductors. Does make sense from a safety perspective as service conductors have no or limited overload or fault protection for if it is struck in future excavations. Section also didn't say if it's easy then do it, if not, don't. Directional Boring of service conductors doesn't make it any safer from future excavation damage.
811! LOL!

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
" If directional boring can be done for the conductors then warning ribbon can be bored just above the Service Conductors. "

Is this even possible?
nope try pulling that mylar tape back through a hole and all you get is a hole full of bentonite with no tape

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
It is my opinion, any time the outer jacked of a cable or the conductor insulation is not in physical contact with the earth, the cable or conductor is not directly buried.
300.5(A) says "Direct-buried cable, conduit, or other raceways shall be installed to meet the minimum cover requirements of Table 300.5." Does that mean I can run conduit through a shallow buried chase, and then it is not direct buried, so I don't have to comply with Table 300.5?

Cheers, Wayne

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Add:
300.5(D) doesn't apply, but the quoted text for 300.5(G) seems to apply to all service conductors including those in non-metallic raceway.

The limitation of 300.5(D) to direct buried conductors does not apply to 300.5(G).

The discussion of the CMP panel is at best confusing rather than adding clarity.

-Jon

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
300.5(D) doesn't apply, but the quoted text for 300.5(G) seems to apply to all service conductors including those in non-metallic raceway.
I don't follow. The "300.5(G)" quoted above was a proposed new code section that wasn't adopted.

Cheers, Wayne

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
300.5(A) says "Direct-buried cable, conduit, or other raceways shall be installed to meet the minimum cover requirements of Table 300.5." Does that mean I can run conduit through a shallow buried chase, and then it is not direct buried, so I don't have to comply with Table 300.5?

Cheers, Wayne

The term you are looking for is 'utility trench' and IMHO if you have a suitable raceway in a proper trench, you do not have a 'direct buried' installation, any more then if you had conduit attached to the side of a traffic tunnel.

See https://lockesolutions.com/product/electric-utility-trench/

-Jon

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The term you are looking for is 'utility trench'
Agreed on a utility trench, but how about if I just run some 2" PVC conduit sleeved inside, say, 4" corrugated pipe (solid)? If "direct buried" means "in contact with soil", then the PVC conduit is no longer direct buried, and per the wording of 300.5(A), it no longer needs to meet the cover requirements of Table 300.5.

I don't have much of an opinion on this one, just pointing out the perhaps unforeseen consequences of defining "direct buried" to mean "in contact with soil". Although I'm not sure how else you'd define it.

Cheers, Wayne

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
" If directional boring can be done for the conductors then warning ribbon can be bored just above the Service Conductors. "

Is this even possible?
I consulted with two boring contractors before I did my proposal...they both said it would not be a problem, but they would not say they could place it exactly above the original bore.

ritelec

No mention of boring may(?) be implying you don't install such "service" conductors that way. Service = Trench

I don't see how any municipal or utility inspector in their right mind would sign off on it.

I would think there should be other requirements for underground service as depth, sand, caution tape, eye ball so as the conductors aren't damaged to not even be considered to be installed by boring.

I'm in the inspectors corner.

Good post.

Trench it.

Shockhoss

Occupation
Electrician
I spoke to another inspector from a neighboring county, he understands the reasoning for this inspectors stance on the situation. He also recommended that to avoid this, find a way to put the service disconnect OCPD before the bore, and therefore changing it from being service conductors.

Shockhoss

Occupation
Electrician
Trying to avoid tearing up the parking lot, this building is also close to some streets that may prove difficult to get shut down, not to mention the drop off that is at the corner of the property where the service pole is...

Thanks to this thread and some more research, we will discuss options and figure out the best solution, I will definitely report on which direction the project goes. And, everything we will be proposing needs to also pass the Historic building committee, since this building was built in the 1800's (another hurdle)

Thank you everyone

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Boring for the last jobs we did was $8 per foot. Very reasonable compared to others, but they took longer and weren’t near as prepared. I can rent a trencher for far less so there needs to be a good reason why not. In these instances, ‘don’t tear up the yard’!
Most of the boring we have done is under parking lots, so much cheaper than repairing the asphalt a couple of times. ( no mater how well you tamp it, tractor trailer rigs will sink it)

Status
Not open for further replies.