Directional Boring Warning Ribbon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

adjective
adjective: buried
  1. placed or hidden underground.

ok buried.. if trenched and back filled or bored into the earth.... it is buried. I've been so into egyptain history, Valley of the Kings and Queens are burial chambers. They where buried in their burial chambers by boring, not trenching. I left out Direct buried because that's what the conductors are... they are direct buried service conductors. (how I see it)

Last edited:

ritelec

IMO there is a huge difference between "buried" and "direct buried".

I see buried as under grade in the earth, probably in a conduit or vessel or something (but not necessarily in something) . "direct buried" would be buried and touching the earth. To me direct buried conductors are conductors that are touching earth directly. Which is what the OP is about. Not so huge. To touch or not to touch, that is the question. :- )

Bowing out of this conversation.. IMO Inspector is right, trench, caution tape, backfill.. stay well

kwired

Electron manager
I see buried as under grade in the earth, probably in a conduit or vessel or something (but not necessarily in something) . "direct buried" would be buried and touching the earth. To me direct buried conductors are conductors that are touching earth directly. Which is what the OP is about. Not so huge. To touch or not to touch, that is the question. :- )

Bowing out of this conversation.. IMO Inspector is right, trench, caution tape, backfill.. stay well
OP mentioned PVC sch40. would presume he intended to place conductors inside of that and that it is listed rigid non-metallic electrical conduit, but maybe that needs clarification also? If that is what is there no warning ribbon is required by NEC.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I our area the POCO is responsible for overhead and underground service entrance cables. Dealing with AHJ is not an issue.

kwired

Electron manager
I our area the POCO is responsible for overhead and underground service entrance cables. Dealing with AHJ is not an issue.
Same in many other places - up to the "service point". Sometimes there is still overhead or underground service conductors beyond that point.

kwired

Electron manager
Trenched anything gets a marker ribbon. Oh yes, exactly 12" above. :rolleyes:
Almost never are we above 18" in depth.
You probably don't install much in sand? You often lucky to get what you are installing in at desired depth before trench wall collapses. Or you end up with such a wide hole to keep it from collapsing that accurate placement of that ribbon is almost impossible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.