downrod splices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim

Re: downrod splices.

But splice in the down rod. Never had a problem. How would an inspector ever know anyway. Also, in a earlier post someone mentioned using scaffolding and charging $1000 to hang a $400 fan. Scaffolding is cheap to rent and $1000 fan installation is down right criminal. :mad: Charges like that give us honest electrians a bad rap.

ryan_618

Originally posted by tim:
How would an inspector ever know anyway.

Charges like that give us honest electrians a bad rap.
Tim: Maybe I'm a bit too insulting, but you sure contradict yourself when you call yourself an honest electrician and say gems like "how would the inspector know?"

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

OK. . .I've got two more.

1. Wildman, I stopped by a local home center, kittycorner from the Big Orange, to see if I could find a second type of wire extension kit. I found a kit from the Republic of China, no-name, and the instructions said essentially the same thing that you posted. Here's what struck me. The instructions refer to "codes" as the apparent reason to not "splice in the conduit". If the "codes" are the NEC, the NEC doesn't extend past the fixed wiring of the building. The UL White Book says the paddlefan (GPRT) begins at the part that attaches to the jbox. The downrod is part of GPRT and, therefore, can't have the code regulate it. . .that already has happened when the fan went through UL. If there are other "codes" that do apply, I want to learn about them, but it seems to me UL approved the #18 as part of the GPRT assembly.

2. Many, not all, downrods are secured by thick pins to prevent the motor from eventually unthreading the downrod. The pin runs straight through the downrod, greatly reducing the cross sectional area inside the rod. The commodity fan has 1/2" pipe, made smaller by the pin, and 344.20(A) tells us that the minimum size of RMC allowed is 1/2". Of course, the effective cross section of the pipe can be smaller if it is not regulated by the NEC.

pierre

Tim
In the area where I live, work and play :D

P.S. I have an unlisted business number, and do not spend $.05 on advertizing, I think my customers are very happy. I also refer some of my extra work to other contractors who I network with, weekly. I am damn well proud of that!!!

Pierre

[ December 17, 2003, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: pierre ]

charty

getting off of topic, jim walker. you splice leads for lightning protection? are the butt splices rated to support a surge or lightning strike, probably not. they will most likely greatly reduce how effective the protector is. so will the length of the wire as well as sharp bends. ever read the directions on that?

charty

tim, how do you know that you have never had a problem. maybe another electrician was called in after you years after something you have done? i guess in that case you never do have problems. $1000 for fan installation using scaffolding, not to far off the mark.get the scaffolding, build it,do the work,tear down the scaffolding and return it. charging much less is keeping our wages low. pierre, what state do you live where the rates are $125?
It's getting rough in here.
Pierre, unlisted business number? are you insured and paying taxes and work. comp.? just kidding.

[ December 17, 2003, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: charty ]

jimwalker

Charty
this was an isolated case where we had 2 800 amp services/meter/disc.side by side. The only place they could be mounted was bottom of cab.We had to satisfy poco as well as AHJ . AHJ objected to wire nuts and told us to use butt splices.No sharp bends and wires no longer than needed.We don't live in a perfect world.

pierre

Charty
We went to an unlisted number to reduce the amount of phone calls that wasted our time. When customers call us now, they are looking specifically for us and there is less wasted time.
Prior to the unlisted number, we were wasting more than a full man day per week answering 'stupid' non paying calls - that is 400 hours a year at $, it adds up.
Right about the same time I stopped doing 'free estimates', I now charge for an estimate with the premise that if we do the work, I will take the estimate price off of the contract awarded. This really tells us if the customer is serious or just shopping and saves a tremendous amount of wasted time. Some of the larger jobs this is not possible, but we have moved away from all but the most promising of those types of jobs. I am busy enough that this is 'our' luxury.
In almost 14 years of contracting, I have had very few 'slow' days, and in the last 5 years have been backed up with work - even have a very hard time finding good help. That is how I got into networking, which I like very much. Networking is the best business move I have made to date, as a matter of fact, I rarely rent tools from a company, I usually try one of my network 'friends' to rent a tool they have sitting idle. I could go on ...........

Pierre

charty

pierre,
great explanation to my joke, but my question was what state do you work in? I understand if you don't wish to answer.

tim

I didn't mean to offend anyone. Really though, I do not think there is anything wrong with a butt splice in a downrod. I would think it would be a stretch to say it would cause a fire. Most paddle fans do not pull even 1 amp. Light kit maybe 4 amps at the most for most of them. Also, I am non union and can rent a section of scaffolding for $10 per section. Three sections $30. Set them up myself in 15 minutes. Where do you come up with $1000. In central Illinois you would never get in work charging like that. Dad has been doing this for 45 years and I have been doing this for 20 years. Make a good living and never had a fire. :roll: Also,Pierre, do you even put your name,phone number, and address on your panel covers after wiring a house? We do, and DAMN proud of it.

[ December 17, 2003, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: tim ]

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by charty:
pierre,
great explanation to my joke, but my question was what state do you work in? I understand if you don't wish to answer.
Charty look at the bottom of Pierre's posts. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.