Drill and tapping unistrut

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Go over this guy's head if you can.
"If you can" being the operative phrase. We had a disagreement with an inspector over a section of code that he was very obviously misinterpreting because he does not understand the way electricity works (current cannot travel both directions in a conductor simultaneously), but attempts to appeal to his supervisor were futile because she (the supervisor) was purely administrative and had zero technical chops. She sided with the inspector and the customer got screwed.

growler

I argued that it was drilled AND tapped to which he said it wasn't UL listed for that

Big question here: Does a piece of metal need a UL listing for me to mount a box on it? Why if it's a piece of angle iron welded to a post?

As Infinity mentioned earlier, if the integrity of the strut were damaged and it was under a load that could be different.

Think about it, we use strut all the time that's not under a load and only used to mount a box or disconnect.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Big question here: Does a piece of metal need a UL listing for me to mount a box on it? Why if it's a piece of angle iron welded to a post?

That's it, we mount electrical equipent to all sorts of things including pieces of wood and trees. None of those mounting surfaces need to be UL listed it only needs to be evaluated by someone as to whether or not it's suitable for the task at hand. I've have seen guys toggle bolt fixtures to ceiling tiles but (they weren't up for very long), that would be an example of a mounting surface that wasn't suitable for the task at hand.

Firetender

Occupation
Service manager
I have yet to see a UL listing for the hole I drilled in a 2x4 stud to run NM through.
I only run 2 runs of NM through a hole in a stud so as not to have them bring up the more than 6 current carrying conductors phrase. YET we can run 9 in EMT...before a d rating calc needs to be performed

Firetender

Occupation
Service manager
That's it, we mount electrical equipent to all sorts of things including pieces of wood and trees. None of those mounting surfaces need to be UL listed it only needs to be evaluated bysomeone as to whether or not it's suitable for the task at hand. I've have seen guys toggle bolt fixtures to ceiling tiles but (they weren't up for very long), that would be an example of a mounting surface that wasn't suitable for the task at hand.
His response was that I "damaged" the UL listing of the strut "integrity" by drilling and tapping without an engineer's report...*eyeroll*
Keep in mind his initial argument was I couldn't use self tappers even though I hadn't in the first place and then he kept changing the "code" on me

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
His response was that I "damaged" the UL listing of the strut "integrity" by drilling and tapping without an engineer's report...*eyeroll*
Keep in mind his initial argument was I couldn't use self tappers even though I hadn't in the first place and then he kept changing the "code" on me
Sounds like a real idiot that shouldn't be in the position he is in. Does Colorado have any published guidelines for inspector qualifications and their rules?

Roger

Firetender

Occupation
Service manager

As Infinity mentioned earlier, if the integrity of the strut were damaged and it was under a load that could be different.

Think about it, we use strut all the time that's not under a load and only used to mount a box or disconnect.
I make my own pedestals in certain instances, not usually though. I take 2" GRC x 10' and place it in a 36-42" hole, place concrete in the hole and strut strap uni to the GRC and mount meter can and loadcenter with a GFCI recep in a bell box with in use cover. The GFCI assy gets mounted to the strut via mounting tabs because they say if I use a Chase nipple with a lock but attached to panel it "might come lose"
I have done it that way in past with a dab of blue threadlocker and other inspectors liked the added protection against if coming lose. It's just the "senior" inspector we can't seem to please.

Firetender

Occupation
Service manager
Sounds like a real idiot that shouldn't be in the position he is in. Does Colorado have any published guidelines for inspector qualifications and their rules?

Roger
I've been researching it, BELIEVE me! A gal that works at local parts warehouse applied and got a job as an electrical inspector. She was actually enrolled at IEC to learn as much as she could. She jokingly told me she got the job just because no one likes to deal with my "silly" questions,go figure.

growler

If you don't mind. How is this piece of strut being used? Is it mounted to a wall or hanging from threaded rod with a heavy load or what ?

Firetender

Occupation
Service manager
In California, I called for an inspection on a resi project and was unable to meet inspector as I had an emergency service call in the area. My boss went in my place. The inspector gets there and is surprised when inspector asks if I did the work, (I hadn't met the inspector yet) Boss says yes, how did you know. Inspector pointed out a few of my "trademark" things. ( I always use a 4 sq / 4-11 box for my homeruns,makes it easy to have newbies do work) turns out the inspector was an old boss of mine that had semi retired.

Firetender

Occupation
Service manager
If you don't mind. How is this piece of strut being used? Is it mounted to a wall or hanging from threaded rod with a heavy load or what ?
Strut is mounted horizontally with strut strap to 2 inch GRC embedded in concrete mix in a 30" in plus hole. The strut serves to mount meter can and panel assembly with spring nuts and bolts

480sparky

I only run 2 runs of NM through a hole in a stud so as not to have them bring up the more than 6 current carrying conductors phrase. YET we can run 9 in EMT...before a d rating calc needs to be performed
I ain't talking about fill or derating or 6 CCCs. I'm talking about ME drilling a hole in a 2x4 and it being listed for the use of running NM through it.

Firetender

Occupation
Service manager
I ain't talking about fill or derating or 6 CCCs. I'm talking about ME drilling a hole in a 2x4 and it being listed for the use of running NM through it.
I hear ya, got to remember that one next time he shows up. I'll ask him what a UL hole in 2 x looks like

growler

Strut is mounted horizontally with strut strap to 2 inch GRC embedded in concrete mix in a 30" in plus hole. The strut serves to mount meter can and panel assembly with spring nuts and bolts

If I understand what happening correctly I don't see where the strut's integrity would be of any concern. It's not like it's going to bow or something. No real strain on it at all.

Firetender

Occupation
Service manager
If I understand what happening correctly I don't see where the strut's integrity would be of any concern. It's not like it's going to bow or something. No real strain on it at all.
Same thoughts here but what do I know, I'm not a "senior inspector"

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
In a related story...

We failed an inspection in a major metropolitan area when the inspector saw a UL stamp on a piece of gear that didn't have "US" next to it; he thought that meant that it wasn't listed in the US. Turns out that the UL website only implies but doesn't say explicitly that if the stamp does not have a "C" or "US" qualifier, that means that it is listed for the US and the US only. The engineer at UL I spoke to was incredulous that the inspector couldn't figure this out from the language on the website, but he emailed me the confirmation so I could forward it to the inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.