Drill and tapping unistrut

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Not all of the local inspectors are arrogant, just the "senior" one. My boss isn't crazy about me talking back to the inspectors when I do that. I have told inspectors in past get off of my job site after they have dinged me and spouted "because I said so" (AHJ). I asked them to please provide me with WHEREon their code book it was located so I could make a note to read up on it. That's when the backpedalling begins. We resolved issues peacefully before but lately there seems to be a rash of inspectors who got their Wheaties pi$$ed on or something!
There are times when to pick a fight, and times to go on. If it’s going to cost a lot, that’s the time to fight, but if it’s a simple change (note I did not say “fix”) do it and go on. I had a state inspector want the bond put on the load side of a ground fault service rated transfer switch. Could not get it through his head why it would defeat the ground fault protection. Went ahead and done it to pass, then put it back where it was supposed to be after he left.

Firetender

Occupation
Service manager
In a related story...

We failed an inspection in a major metropolitan area when the inspector saw a UL stamp on a piece of gear that didn't have "US" next to it; he thought that meant that it wasn't listed in the US. Turns out that the UL website only implies but doesn't say explicitly that if the stamp does not have a "C" or "US" qualifier, that means that it is listed for the US and the US only. The engineer at UL I spoke to was incredulous that the inspector couldn't figure this out from the language on the website, but he emailed me the confirmation so I could forward it to the inspector.
Some just go overboard. I get if something doesn't pass legitimately but some things are just for their little foot syndrome

480sparky

There are times when to pick a fight, and times to go on. ..........

Years ago, we had two inspectors. One had the west side of town, the other the east. Both had their own set of rules, and many were contradictory. So you needed to know who was going to be eyeballing your work. Worked out fine......... until one went on vacation and the other showed up to cover for him.

That was a nightmare.

Firetender

Occupation
Service manager
Years ago, we had two inspectors. One had the west side of town, the other the east. Both had their own set of rules, and many were contradictory. So you needed to know who was going to be eyeballing your work. Worked out fine......... until one went on vacation and the other showed up to cover for him.

That was a nightmare.
I feel for you there!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There are a fair number of long time electricians who believe things are code that aren't and vice versa.

As long as it does not affect me all that much I just let it pass.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Hate it when inspectors say that. Sorry, you are doomed. Good look finding unistrut instructions that tell you what you CAN do with it.🤬
Here in NJ that wouldn't fly. The inspector is required, by DCA regulation, to quote the violation chapter and verse.

kwired

Electron manager
Did you drill through the bell box or use the mounting ears. Drilling through the box might violate it's listing. I think he was talking about the box, not the strut.
That is about the only possible thing that could be in violation IMO, many places don't reject that though.

I've seen many those mounting ears let go if they were used to mount such a box. So what if a little bit of water finds it's way around mounting screws through the back. If you have raceway entering from above you are getting condensation in there anyway, better make sure to drill a weep hole in the bottom. Almost every bell box I encounter that has been installed at least a couple years with no weep hole has bottom device screw rusted in place, if there was a weep hole it often still looks like new.

NSM1979

New User
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Has anyone ever been dinged by AHJ for drilling and tapping unistrut to mount a bell box?
The inspector said I couldn't use self tappers. I showed him the screw I used, even removed it to show it wasn't a self tapping one. He quickly changed his story to "you can't drill and tap either"

The question to ask is did this alter the unistrut in a manner not consistent to its listing? We are limited in using any material per how it is listed.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
The question to ask is did this alter the unistrut in a manner not consistent to its listing? We are limited in using any material per how it is listed.
Where is it that one would find the requirement that everything used in an electrical installation be listed? Large portions of the code only require that certain items be identified or approved. Even larger still are the number of items that we use all the time that are not mentioned in the code at all.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If a plain, suitable piece of steel bar or channel could be used as support in such a manner (and I'm saying it can), then why can't a piece of steel that happens to come with regularly-spaced punched holes and a pair of rolled edges be so used?

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Installed boxes many times on strut, the problem encountered is applying the 3 ft strapping rule (emt) . or usually one can mount a box supported by a ceiling anchored rod . Although a spec usually supersedes a common practice. a spec can request gold plated conductors even though its not code.

Oldmaster2

Occupation
Master Electrician
I had a inspector ding me for using drywall screws for mounting boxes on plywood. It was a city inspector do I asked to appeal it. There was no appeal process but they decided to pass it just this one time. Giving power to someone that wants power can be a bad thing
I was a State Electrical Inspector in Idaho and we had to provide a NEC reference for any violation see cited.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I had a inspector ding me for using drywall screws for mounting boxes on plywood. It was a city inspector do I asked to appeal it. There was no appeal process but they decided to pass it just this one time. Giving power to someone that wants power can be a bad thing
I was a State Electrical Inspector in Idaho and we had to provide a NEC reference for any violation see cited.

In many jurisdictions it's up to the inspector to determine if the screws are acceptable to support the box. Anyone who rejects a box screwed to plywood with a Sheetrock screw is an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.