Economy & Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news guys PA offers 99 weeks of unemployment @ $560 a week. who needs a job. I'm off to explore the far south region of the great FL beaches or maybe a cruise or a trip to the Wild Wild West. I just don't know if I will have time for everything. I am so excited, I should have played the lottery with this luck. well it's 5am I am trying to get back to sleep. I can't sleep with all this excitement. Oh and I just got a letter from the Government saying they want to retrain me. Maybe I can be an investment banker or maybe just maybe work on Wall Street.

This is the option I could have taken. As an American I choice to not take a handout, even though I paid into the system. The last 5 months of this year I will be working 72+ hours a week. Busy Busy Busy. Take a good look at the above statement which is 100% true. Now don't get off topic ya hear.....

A friend of mine who is an unemployed inspector called me this week with a very similar story.
He can collect unemployment for 99 weeks, and they are offering to pay him to go back to college, even outside of the industry he is in. He had a meeting with the department of labor and he will go back in 2 weeks to discuss his options. Not bad really when you think of going to school and receiving money for school and some kind of income...

He asked me what I thought he could do, if he left this trade. I was surprised to hear this from a guy with 22 years in the industry.

emahler

this is the 1st i'm hearing about the 99 weeks...can someone point me to a bill or law?....

if it's for real, i am so firing myself on Monday....after I get rid of employees and all the additional costs, sell off all tools, equipment and stock material, I'll be good for 2 yrs...hopefully by then my welfare will have kicked in, or the economy will have rebounded...

but, if i can get someone to buy the house and the shop, i can live like a king in Mexico for the rest of my life...

someone send me that link....hurry, i gotta pack if it's real....

khixxx

http://www.dli.state.pa.us/landi/cwp/view.asp?a=3&q=253214 Hurry Hurry, Don't forget each state is different. I am so excited for you. I hope NJ will be blessed such as the great state of PA. I sure do hope you can continue to post in Mexico.

this is the 1st i'm hearing about the 99 weeks...can someone point me to a bill or law?....

if it's for real, i am so firing myself on Monday....after I get rid of employees and all the additional costs, sell off all tools, equipment and stock material, I'll be good for 2 yrs...hopefully by then my welfare will have kicked in, or the economy will have rebounded...

but, if i can get someone to buy the house and the shop, i can live like a king in Mexico for the rest of my life...

someone send me that link....hurry, i gotta pack if it's real....

bradleyelectric

99 weeks of unemployment, 99 weeks of unemployment, use one up continue to sit on my butt 98 weeks of unemployment to go :)

Bradley your right, I don't know what the rate for unemployment insurance is for a guy on a month or 2 project. This is why my old company would rather crop off their right hand then lay a GOOD guy off.

The way it works here is if you get laid off Monday you report to unemployment. You can do that online. They look at the previous 4 quarters to see your eligibility. If you didn't work for the guy that laid you off during that time it doesn't even reflect on him.

I was getting notices saying guys were collecting on me but it was not chargeable to me. Well I'd hate to see if it was. Just more hokie I'm afraid.

I'm just glad they are rewarding not working and penalizing hustling. I'd hate to see it the other way around.

bradleyelectric

I would suggest forgo Mexico and try Costa Rica or Nicar...um..umm.. er...further south. Both are currently less prone to violence to gringo's and far cheaper to live.

I hear there is a beach community on the left side that is pretty Americanized. A lot of Californians moved south a number of years ago and took it over.

fondini

I am happy to see that some of the EC's understand how operating at a loss can do to both themself and their employees.
Over the years, I always held on to my employees, even though at times I had to put up my home and presonal assets to keep the doors open, I was one of the few area EC's to do that most of them, let their men go, the first sign of work slowing, to this day, everyone of my past employees, stay in touch, and after last year have been just great.
You see, last year was a bit of a disaster, the market slowed, and the work week backed off, I still kept the guys on, with a 28K bank loan, then a week later I was having dinner when I got a call, I am sorry but the tests came back, it was the doctor telling me my wife was very ill, the good news was my guys without a word, took over, taking care of everything in the business, while I took care of my wife, no need to say, she was a big part of making the business run, after 4 weeks in the hospital, she wanted to be home, so we made a hospital room at home, and has 3 more weeks together, and then on a sunday afternoon, I heard my daughter screaming mommy wake up, I loved her so much, I lied to her about the bank notices that they raised our line of credit from prime plus 5 to 22% she passed thinking everything was ok.

wow. all of sudden my problems got really small,so sorry wish i was close to help out if you need. we are all brothers and i am truley sorry.

nhfire77

In MA they are giving away cars that have been donated. They fix them pay for the registration taxes insurance and AAA for the first year. Then you get to keep the car.

I'm not kidding, I don't have the time to look up a link regarding this as I have to get back to working my second job, no seriously. I don't even have kids. I have one full time Job and two part time jobs. And you mean to tell me you can't get ONE?

Ok I'm done ranting, sorry.

I have heard that costa rica is great and they love americans, and their money too!

Last edited:

bradleyelectric

In MA they are giving away cars that have been donated. They fix them pay for the registration taxes insurance and AAA for the first year. Then you get to keep the car.

I'm not kidding, I don't have the time to look up a link regarding this as I have to get back to working my second job, no seriously. I don't even have kids. I have one full time Job and two part time jobs. And you mean to tell me you can't get ONE?

Ok I'm done ranting, sorry.

I have heard that costa rica is great and they love americans, and their money too!

Ever notice the universal service fee on your cell phone? Free phone with air time for those that don't have a job. Did you know you paid for it?

nhfire77

Ever notice the universal service fee on your cell phone? Free phone with air time for those that don't have a job. Did you know you paid for it?

I did not know what that was for, I knew they were giving them away they are advertising it. Now that is enraging. I want my money for nothing and my chicks for free, too.

zappy

I've noticed people are starting to spend money. I've been getting calls lately. I hope this keeps up!

ItsHot

I am happy to see that some of the EC's understand how operating at a loss can do to both themself and their employees.
Over the years, I always held on to my employees, even though at times I had to put up my home and presonal assets to keep the doors open, I was one of the few area EC's to do that most of them, let their men go, the first sign of work slowing, to this day, everyone of my past employees, stay in touch, and after last year have been just great.
You see, last year was a bit of a disaster, the market slowed, and the work week backed off, I still kept the guys on, with a 28K bank loan, then a week later I was having dinner when I got a call, I am sorry but the tests came back, it was the doctor telling me my wife was very ill, the good news was my guys without a word, took over, taking care of everything in the business, while I took care of my wife, no need to say, she was a big part of making the business run, after 4 weeks in the hospital, she wanted to be home, so we made a hospital room at home, and has 3 more weeks together, and then on a sunday afternoon, I heard my daughter screaming mommy wake up, I loved her so much, I lied to her about the bank notices that they raised our line of credit from prime plus 5 to 22% she passed thinking everything was ok.
I am sorry to hear of your loss! I hope the best for you and your daughter!!!

Sparky555

I've known Satcom for quite awhile and unfortunately this isn't all that he's been through. However, he still takes the time to attempt to mentor the younger businessmen. He's helped me personally on many occasions which has made my life easier. Whatever his advice, I listen.

jmsbrush

I've known Satcom for quite awhile and unfortunately this isn't all that he's been through. However, he still takes the time to attempt to mentor the younger businessmen. He's helped me personally on many occasions which has made my life easier. Whatever his advice, I listen.

I can second that! Satcom opened my eyes and pointed me in the right direction from the beginning. He was real tough on me at first and I didn't quite understand.
I can truly say, he made a difference in me and what my business is today.
I'm always thankful.

We just landed a 5000 sq commercial building. So were excited.:)

Sparky555

One of the shocking deleted posts for me was to hear of an owner going from 60 guys to nothing. I'm sure he didn't think of his guys as tools.

Some business models have extremely tight controls on labor. Prime examples are restaurants and day care. Throughout the day there will be more or fewer employees to adjust to the business.

ECs are faced with a much harder decision. These employee/tools are very expensive to acquire and train. If you put them on short weeks or lay them off you may lose that investment in acquisition and training forever. If you keep them on without contracts to work on you'll bleed a lot of cash. Good businesses can bleed cash in the short term. Not many can bleed cash for 7 or 8 quarters. It's a hard decision to lay off a good employee.

satcom

One of the shocking deleted posts for me was to hear of an owner going from 60 guys to nothing. I'm sure he didn't think of his guys as tools.

Some business models have extremely tight controls on labor. Prime examples are restaurants and day care. Throughout the day there will be more or fewer employees to adjust to the business.

ECs are faced with a much harder decision. These employee/tools are very expensive to acquire and train. If you put them on short weeks or lay them off you may lose that investment in acquisition and training forever. If you keep them on without contracts to work on you'll bleed a lot of cash. Good businesses can bleed cash in the short term. Not many can bleed cash for 7 or 8 quarters. It's a hard decision to lay off a good employee.

I found that, well trainned employees, with experience are not tools, they are real assets, and help set the direction for a companies success, so when a company catches a cold, the employees should be included in the plans, for curing the cold, this way the employee is prepared, if you treat your employees well, you will never really lose them, they will always remember, your concern for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.