Economy & Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
When the bank is handing you the eviction notice to take the house you put up as colateral to keep employees busy and the wife and kids are crying..those same employees are collecting unemployment or a paycheck from someone else.

What I am trying to say is there is a middle ground between the "bank is handing you the eviction notice" and 'never carry employees when your losing money'

Both you and Satcom are at the extreme ends of the same topic.

There have been layoffs where I work and I don't blame the company, it had to be done. But before they got there they appeared to make every effort to prevent that by taking jobs for less than they would have normally.

hardworkingstiff

But Satcoms comment sounds like condemnation of an employer that is making an effort to take care of those that work for them. And it really strikes a cord in me like he treats employees more like tools then people. That may not be the truth but it sure how his comment comes across to me.
I didn't take it that way. It sounded to me like he was saying hanging on for the sake of hanging on or just to keep employees busy with no signs of things improving is a sure way to put you in a deeper hole. What's that saying? "If you're in a hole, stop digging".
Now I have to run to work or become part of the unemployment line.:)

:) That is indeed humorous. :)

Rewire

Rich I understand how business works .

. And it really strikes a cord in me like he treats employees more like tools then people.

In a strict business sense employees are tools.You try and treat employees well and reward loyalty but when you are operating in the red hard decisions need to be made and operating at a loss is not a viable option.

Its one thing to "break even" on a job to keep employees working but operating at a loss is a whole different animal.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
This has been a very busy, profitable year for us. I had a few weeks mid summer that were slow but not much breathing room the rest of it. This could all end by 5 tonight but right now I am to busy to worry about it. I don't mean to kick sand in anyones face. I think we were just lucky to be in the right niche for this recession.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I'm a commercial electrician in Raleigh and have worked for the same company for 4 years. I've worked about 25 hours/wk for the past 2 weeks and looks like that will stay the same for the rest of the month. Supposed to have a 2 month job start up Dec. 1st but we shall see. Anybody know anyone hiring in Raleigh? Anybody want to work me on Mondays and Fridays? My boss says this is the slowest he's seen it in 25 years!

satcom

I am happy to see that some of the EC's understand how operating at a loss can do to both themself and their employees.
Over the years, I always held on to my employees, even though at times I had to put up my home and presonal assets to keep the doors open, I was one of the few area EC's to do that most of them, let their men go, the first sign of work slowing, to this day, everyone of my past employees, stay in touch, and after last year have been just great.
You see, last year was a bit of a disaster, the market slowed, and the work week backed off, I still kept the guys on, with a 28K bank loan, then a week later I was having dinner when I got a call, I am sorry but the tests came back, it was the doctor telling me my wife was very ill, the good news was my guys without a word, took over, taking care of everything in the business, while I took care of my wife, no need to say, she was a big part of making the business run, after 4 weeks in the hospital, she wanted to be home, so we made a hospital room at home, and has 3 more weeks together, and then on a sunday afternoon, I heard my daughter screaming mommy wake up, I loved her so much, I lied to her about the bank notices that they raised our line of credit from prime plus 5 to 22% she passed thinking everything was ok.

peter d

It's never good to try to keep men on when your loosing money, unless it is just to bridge to a large project comming in, if you don't have a pile of signed contracts or study accounts that provide long term work, cut your looses and get out before it gets worse.

It's simple. When my friend's steel shop is empty he makes NO money but still has to pay overhead. If he gets a few jobs at or slightly below cost he can can pay SOME of his overhead and not lose as much as if he had no jobs in his shop.

He summed it up very succinctly: "I have to choose the lesser of two evils."

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You see, last year was a bit of a disaster . . .
There's the understatement of the year.

My heart felt every word of that post.

You've got my sympathy and respect.

Hang in there!
icon14.gif

Santee

Well that right there stopped a many here from complaining (directed to satcom).

On to the original question. I have went from 12 employees and running 4 trucks to 3 employees an 2 trucks. I enjoy it more now than I ever had in the past 9 years of being self employed. Of course some weeks we only work 25hrs but there are weeks we work 50hrs+. I have work on the books until March but we are not lining up any new work.

I do not do work for free or a loss. My employees understand if they are at home than none of us are making money. In our area there is some work but we have had to diversify. We are traveling across state lines to work - what ever it takes except for loosing.

fillmorr

Not sure if its picking up but i been layed off for a year from a EC and they told me a month ago to look for work eles were which i have my fingers crossed on a job with another EC its just been hard due to the reason for my lay off was a knee injury in which caused me to have knee surgery in march so its been lil hard to get someone to give me a chance

khixxx

Great news guys PA offers 99 weeks of unemployment @ $560 a week. who needs a job. I'm off to explore the far south region of the great FL beaches or maybe a cruise or a trip to the Wild Wild West. I just don't know if I will have time for everything. I am so excited, I should have played the lottery with this luck. well it's 5am I am trying to get back to sleep. I can't sleep with all this excitement. Oh and I just got a letter from the Government saying they want to retrain me. Maybe I can be an investment banker or maybe just maybe work on Wall Street.

This is the option I could have taken. As an American I choice to not take a handout, even though I paid into the system. The last 5 months of this year I will be working 72+ hours a week. Busy Busy Busy. Take a good look at the above statement which is 100% true. Now don't get off topic ya hear.....

TOOL_5150

Work is garbage right now... Ill get back to you in 4 months. I have made the same amount someone working at burger king would make for this year so far.

~Matt

wawireguy

Great news guys PA offers 99 weeks of unemployment @ $560 a week. who needs a job ...... As an American I choice to not take a handout, even though I paid into the system. The last 5 months of this year I will be working 72+ hours a week. Busy Busy Busy. Take a good look at the above statement which is 100% true. Now don't get off topic ya hear.....

If there were plenty of jobs for everyone that paid a living wage I'd agree with you but the fact is that there are not enough jobs right now that pay anything near a living wage. Most people who are unemployed would rather be working. Unemployment is not a handout. You paid into it and now you're getting it paid back to you.

khixxx

If there were plenty of jobs for everyone that paid a living wage I'd agree with you but the fact is that there are not enough jobs right now that pay anything near a living wage. Most people who are unemployed would rather be working. Unemployment is not a handout. You paid into it and now you're getting it paid back to you.

Yeah I know what you mean about "Paying a living wage" some of us had to go overseas to work and drive 9 hours for a month long project in another state. Doing what ever we can to move forward for ourselves and families.

99 weeks is a handout.

Rich R

Hate to burst your bubble, but Employers pay into unemployment not employees. In fact everytime someone makes a claim for unemployment there previous employers rates go up

bradleyelectric

Hate to burst your bubble, but Employers pay into unemployment not employees. In fact everytime someone makes a claim for unemployment there previous employers rates go up

My rates went from .75 per hundred in '08 to 4.50 per hundred in '09. No joke. It went from paying a nuisance bill per quarter to an extra payroll per quarter. Now tell me how I'm supposed to add to the payroll and put people back to work when I've already been notified that the unemployment fund is under funded and I will be receiving notice in a couple weeks as to what my rates will be next year. I believe this is part of the take from the rich and give to the poor mentality. Thanks for the change. This happened without being filed on in '08. Employees that left the company and filed after being laid off from subsequent employers have claims against me in '09.

Last edited:

khixxx

My rates went from .75 per hundred in '08 to 4.50 per hundred in '09. No joke. It went from paying a nuisance bill per quarter to an extra payroll per quarter. Now tell me how I'm supposed to add to the payroll and put people back to work when I've already been notified that the unemployment fund is under funded and I will be receiving notice in a couple weeks as to what my rates will be next year. I believe this is part of the take from the rich and give to the poor mentallity. Thanks for the change.

99 weeks of unemployment, 99 weeks of unemployment, use one up continue to sit on my butt 98 weeks of unemployment to go :)

Bradley your right, I don't know what the rate for unemployment insurance is for a guy on a month or 2 project. This is why my old company would rather crop off their right hand then lay a GOOD guy off.

Status
Not open for further replies.