Elec. work on your permit you didn't do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

I agree - you should not have to take any existing condition to any current code if you did nothing to it.... However this DW/GD on the same breaker crap has been popping up all over the place. A made up code that Inspectors are picking up somewhere and attempting to enforce - last year I was called on the same thing, and got my book out and told him to find it... And when he couldn't and still wanted me to get re-inspected I told him I would go over his head - I did... I won - he looked like a dope... (To me at least. ;)) I talked to his senior inspector - explained my position, and asked why I even get permits in the first place if they employ yokels like him who have no trade knowledge whatsoever, operating off some check-list that he barely understood...

r_merc

GC

GC

Seems to me that this GC wants to play fast and loose when its to his benefit but when someone else is stepping on his toes then that's something different. Back to the original question. I would have documented the unpermitted work by taking pictures and filing them in with the job file and writing a letter to the building official. Something to the effect Work performed outside of (xxxx) not covered under my contract and performed by others. The conversation you had with the GC told you everything you needed to know. He didn't care about your permit or liability. It's not about the money for me it's about everyone playing on the same playing field. In this particular case it's not that the GC is taking money out of your pocket but he is stealing your reputation and Liability. Reputation is something that has to be defended.

Palmbay

I would like to keep the comments focused on the GC to EC relationship. The inspector stuff is for a different thread... I am sure we can all go on and on and on about the Dip Stick inspector. I just wanted to explain the situation. I have had failed inspections before. I work in 3 counties, and deal with over 20 different building departments and inspectors in those municipalities, I will never interpret the code the same as all those inspectors. I have never been back charged ever, let alone for an inspection fee.

I have learned that you need to pick your battles. I have not made up my mind yet to blow the wistle on this guy. I will make that desision when I am talking with the inspector tomarrow. This is a tough decision for me. This contractor has the respect of other contractors in the area, and I have only been around for a few years. I am not scared to stand up for what I believe in, but as large as my service area is, its all pretty much small town. Everyone knows everyone, or knows someone that knows someone. I know that working with this guy is not going to work, and I have realized that we cant work with everyone. Or at least I can't. If I had a staff with diversified people, I may be able to read and get along with more people. I am a giver, and most people are takers, in business. In the past giving has proven to be a good way to be, In the last year or so, it has been the contrary, and cost me more than I could afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.