electrician tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

does anybody know any tricks about marking painted celings for recess lights? sometimes a pencil doesnt erase all the way or if its pressed too hard it damages the paint.

what about keeping insulation off your skin so its not uncomfortable to crawl around attics? i was in hell today. lying down across joists 2 feet on center through blown in insulation.

also feel free to post all your favorite tricks and secrets that you like to use :)

nafis

hope that will help

hope that will help

I usually carry different color marker and use what ever match the ceiling. or use the sheet rocks nails , just stab it in where my mark is and if miss I just paint the nail head . if the attic is accessible I go up and move the insulation out of my way .

cadpoint

A cold shower if insulation touchs you, it closes the pours and eases the removal!

Dress accordingly:
Always use long sleeves, glooves, and a mask if you have to go, and a roll of construction plastic for both types of crawl spaces! Cardboard is the best but not always available.

Wash those exposed cloths seperate!

I won't lay down on concrete or anything anymore, I've got to have something down first! JMPO's

Remember that in most cases its you face and forarms that are exposed to the daily grim, wash up accordingly. :)

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
electricalperson said:
what about keeping insulation off your skin so its not uncomfortable to crawl around attics? i was in hell today. lying down across joists 2 feet on center through blown in insulation.

Hire a helper or change jobs. :wink:

mdshunk

Do your layout on the floor with blue painter's tape to mark the centers, and shine up with a laser plumb bob. If there's another floor above, check for joists and blocking before making holes with an IR camera like the Flir BCam.

peter d

electricalperson said:

DSC00498-1.jpg

I was removing lead paint but you get the idea.

Last edited:

stickboy1375

electricalperson said:
also feel free to post all your favorite tricks and secrets that you like to use :)

When drilling holes in 2x material with a ship auger bit, I will slip a piece of pvc over the bit to keep the bit only going in 2". Helps tremendously from hitting a plumbing pipe or something that is already installed in the bay.

electricalperson

mdshunk said:
Do your layout on the floor with blue painter's tape to mark the centers, and shine up with a laser plumb bob. If there's another floor above, check for joists and blocking before making holes with an IR camera like the Flir BCam.
i dont think many people have the money to spend to buy a IR camera but luckily i have a laser plumb bob but i forgot it at home

peter d

stickboy1375 said:
Not sure what your asking? Peter has a job. Florida is the worst paying state in the country to be an electrician.

Yeah, I wouldn't move there with the pay scale. I'll go anywhere there is work but not for that drastic a pay cut unless that was the end of the road, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.