electricians going under to unfair trade practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtaylor

I beleive that states that require all electricians that work in there state to be licensed is unfair and should be abolished. You only need 1 license, the electrical contractor. The person running the job should only have a jourymans license. What the states are doing is discrimanation, and the other craft do not have to do this. If they do, and more and more states are following suite, they should pay much more money to the electrican for all the extra there putting them through. I'm a licensed electrical contractor and for me to travel to a different state I either have to see if my state reciprocate's with that state and follow there tough procedures or take a state exam again. And if you are smart you know thats an undoable task to keep up with all that each state requires, such as fees, yearly fees, continueing education in each state, Insurance fees, etc. There's no way 1 individual could keep up with all the fees and classes required for each state. Not even 4 or 5 states. Its getting to the point that we electricans wont be able to travel but the other craft will. People you need to do something about it. If anything make it mandatory for the electricans to have a jourymens certifacation, not a hard to get state license. And for you Bozo's out there that think just because you could pass a state test, that everyone should too. Then your to smart for everyone and you need to go build a rocket and go to the planet that you belong on. So be realistic about the guys that are 50 or 60 yrs old, or even the ones that are working all the hours they can to make ends meet, or even the reg. joe that couldn"nt quite make a b in school. These people are trying to make a living and dont have the time or the heart or sometimes even the money to do it. Remember the people that are from other country's are displacing are workers in this country every day in high numbers. College,universitys, hospitals, good paying jobs are being givin to forgeiners to save a dollar at our exspence. Alot of these people are smart people and know how are system works and next it will be your jobs.Stand UP and Stand Together people.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Well, help me out here, you have two years in the trade, you say you're a licensed contractor, yet your state requires 4 years experience before you can sit for the exam., how does this work?

Roger

mdshunk

Mtaylor, I have your avatar. This guy wrote strange manifesto's too:

unibomber.jpg

masterinbama

So you want to be able to come into my market and hire unlicensed people at half the prevailing wage and expect me to compete with you. Why not try another approach get the years and experience in you area and stay local. When my guys travel and we do they all carry a J-Mans card paid by me and cost me $100 a day just to live on the road. Don't lambaste an entire trade until you have half the time in it that I and a lot of the others here do.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
mtaylor said:
do you at least have a decent comment or what?

So you won't answer my question and don't seem to want to discuss it with the others and since you have posted the exact same post HERE I think this one will be better off closed.

Well on second thought, I may be a little to hasty there. ;)

Roger

Last edited:

MAK

I think it will be a long long long time in a land far far far away before we will see 1 electrical license for all states. I can not see much motivation for individual states to give up any revenues from CEUs, license renewals etc.....

rustyryan34

MAK said:
I think it will be a long long long time in a land far far far away before we will see 1 electrical license for all states. I can not see much motivation for individual states to give up any revenues from CEUs, license renewals etc.....

I think it is better if each state does have it own licensing. It benefits the state and the electricians in that state, if you have to work in other states they you should have to play by their rules.

mtaylor

you, mean to tell me that you want every guy to have a license that works for you. You must not be in the electrical business, and does your state require each electrican to have a license. If so do you have problems with getting these licensed people to man your work. By the way I've been around quite some time in this trade.So read the org. statement before you respond and think first.Thank you. Do you know why the states are making it mandatory by law that every man be licensed.

peter d

I live in New England and I have advocated for a regional license because our states are so small here and many people travel over the borders daily. Cross border commerce is pretty much way of life here.

But rest of the country is made up of big states and unless you live in a border area you likely will never leave the state for work. In a border situation, how many other states might you work it? 2 or 3 max.....

ItsHot

why?

why?

mtaylor said:
you, mean to tell me that you want every guy to have a license that works for you. You must not be in the electrical business, and does your state require each electrican to have a license. If so do you have problems with getting these licensed people to man your work. By the way I've been around quite some time in this trade.So read the org. statement before you respond and think first.Thank you. Do you know why the states are making it mandatory by law that every man be licensed.
Why?:smile: :)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Okay, once again, you have two years in the trade, you say you're a licensed contractor, yet your state requires 4 years experience before you can sit for the exam., how does this work?

Are you not being completely honest with us in the OP?

Roger

rustyryan34

mtaylor said:

Thats what i am saying you have been around awhile and you want it easy for you to run from one state to the other to work without lifting you finger. I say if i have to work in another state that says i have to be licensed in it i will do it.

peter d

roger said:
Okay, once again, you have two years in the trade, you say you're a licensed contractor, yet your state requires 4 years experience before you can sit for the exam., how does this work?

Roger, don't you know that it only takes 2 years of experience to sit for the "Hack Contractor" classification? ;)

SEO

I think that it's great that states require a contractor to take the states exam that he is going to work in. Many states have much more stringent qualifications required for for a contractors license, journeyman's license and masters license than other states. I don't think that it would be fair for a contractor from one state that maybee has no requirement at all for a license or lax requirements to just waltz in to pull permits in a state that does. My state requires every contractor to have a master electrician actively in charge of and responsible for code compliance of all installations of electrical wiring and equipment. Thats only one of the requirements. Everyone in the state is required to have a license. If an out of state journeyman wants to work in our state without taking the journeymans exam he can register as an apprentice and work for a contractor registered in our state. That holds true for a master as well.

mtaylor

I did not say we needed 1 License for the whole country. I feel that it should be like it use to be not many years ago, that you could travel when other states needed outside help for man power. Now you can't travel to these states not unless you have a license in that state. It has become a burden on many large electrical contactors to meet the states requirements. Then they have to go to the state to get waviers after they explain they can't get that many men from within or outside the state.This is my opoion and many, many more electricans.

peter d

mtaylor said:
It has become a burden on many large electrical contactors to meet the states requirements.

Hmmmmm....did it ever occur to you that some of these licensing laws might be designed to keep out-of-state contractors out of state? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.