Electricity 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

I'd recommend charts, graphs, pictures... small slide shows to liberate a conversation point or stear one!

A hand out of the same subject matter U Display in Hand they can consentrate on you, prepare accordingly...

Be ready to demonstrate both backwards and forwards any math you present, cause and effect, 2 equations that will show your work, again backwards if someone gets lost.
Re-explain an equation high points in a final sentence on subject!

You can present overhead equations, CPU or flat projection's to roll with your chalk board talks, quick route with the board, the Projection is what they will take notes on... presenting and stating with graphic's is worthy!
Work to a summary with your board work... the overheads should build then summarize your presentation. Again you chalk board could be minimal bases on a complete set of hand outs...

It's work, be prepared 150% at best, your'll do 75% to 110% of what you want to present nighty, hourly, or daily, What Are U teaching Again :)

If a multi - lesson class ask for some person history of the electrical field
Reason for taking class....
Ask if there's certain questions that have, having worked in this vocation?
U can lecture on that subject... :) or just mention it later in 2nd or 3rd nighty,
hourly, or daily.

Talk, one or two optave above what your conversation level is...

U'll have a responsive adult class, again be prepared. Good Luck ...

Last edited:

brentp

pipe dream

pipe dream

Most large commercial jobs I deal with have a spec book & engineered drawings that pretty much takes electrical theory out of the picture for an average electrician. The new construction guy simply becomes a mechanic trying to follow the directions on the drawings. We build projects with the majority of workers not having a clue about electrical theory.

Everyone doesn't have to be a Tesla. Where do you draw the line defining an 'electrician'?

JWCELECTRIC

Sorry. I take things for granted sometimes hurk27 got it. It's ascii:

01110111b = 77h = 119d = w
01101000b = 68h = 104d = h
01100001b = 61h = 97d = a
01110100b = 74h = 116d = t
00111111b = 3Fh = 63d = ?

mievy,

You should be the first one in his class to teach how to wire the very first outlet with romex, plastic box, & 2x4 (that=wood not 8) , instead of confusing everyone on your Bolean theory and your fancy grafics

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sorry. I take things for granted sometimes hurk27 got it. It's ascii:

01110111b = 77h = 119d = w
01101000b = 68h = 104d = h
01100001b = 61h = 97d = a
01110100b = 74h = 116d = t
00111111b = 3Fh = 63d = ?
So, how does one know to divide the string into 8-digit segments?

cadpoint

Why do I have to qualify for anything, It's called Life, Live it...
choose your options and move on!!!!

Not everyone works your job!, not everyone wants your JOB.

It just Deeply depresses me to read that I'm a Robot and have no input to Stamped Drawaing and Spec's.....

Most large commercial jobs I deal with have a spec book & engineered drawings that pretty much takes electrical theory out of the picture for an average electrician. The new construction guy simply becomes a mechanic trying to follow the directions on the drawings. We build projects with the majority of workers not having a clue about electrical theory.

Everyone doesn't have to be a Tesla. Where do you draw the line defining an 'electrician'?

I'll jump, the spec book is two things a duplicate of any active NEC Code cycle, and the owners desires. verses any active building code, via the AIA or whom ever got paid to Print some paper, Get over it!

I frankly don't think nor worry about what needs to be done the answer is mostly in the Code Book, if not its in a building code.
If you don't know or appriciate that, well then why worry about being a robot on the Floor... what You should Worry about is what the Robot's are doing out on the line as you seem to be some Robot's Boss!

There's alot that not implied in engineer drawings and the Spec's as they are presented and picked and Filtered to suit the drawings. Well Gezz what do We do now.

I'm An Electricain, I go to work, to work the Code.

It doesn't matter that I work, a type of Job, but my underlying statement is that's my job, as I apply it, will be to the CODE...

There alot of work to any drawing thats worth there salt...

I''m sorry I don't think that the Spec's that hit the floor (I've never seen any and have not been concerned for X number of years) that much if ever for you or I to make that Cavaliar statement.

I don't Agree, OK U need to go lead the men, into the fight, stop being a management man and be out on the floor to learn of the production Technic.
tfunny the engineered drawing 90% of the time don't show U how to make your runs , nor care!

Again if you are on the Line then you need to move to management to learn more even more things and Fill your pockets over the work of others, (U've missed your calling)!

I'm basing that statement on what comes out of prodution of applying electrical products to some application!

What it takes is to make production and meet someones estimate, Go for it!
All opposed to the production aspects!

Gezz, what's it take to Qualify as an Electrician... Depending on the introduction I'll say why do we even lace up....

Frankly I do things that people don't care to know or could care less to know of, much less or understand.
If I can can't be proud in that, or any one moment of that, I'm totally lost in my voacation but I'm all over it...

mivey

mievy,

You should be the first one in his class to teach how to wire the very first outlet with romex, plastic box, & 2x4 (that=wood not 8) , instead of confusing everyone on your Bolean theory and your fancy grafics
Just responding to Larry's binary addition in #28. A little attempt at humor. Did not see any Boolean theory. Certainly no fancy graphics, pretty cheesy at best.

Brian seemed to be wanting to reach new electricians. To me, wiring a receptacle is something you learn as an apprentice. I think Brian has talents that would be wasted by teaching apprentice skills in a classroom. I'm sure he can do it, but that is something they can learn anywhere. I think he wants to teach things that apprentices and young electricians may not have picked up with OJT.
So, how does one know to divide the string into 8-digit segments?
Since 1,083,112,298,222 did not mean anything, it would seem to an old programmer the next logical step would be to find another use for the binary number. When you posted 01 + 01 = 10, I just assumed a familiarity with binary systems and the ASCII language. I thought you might be an old-school programmer. Old binary and assembly language guys would probably catch that there were the right number of digits to get sets of eight.

I thought it would click when I said it = what?

mivey

Is this the confused trying to confuse more or the understanding really confusing the confused?
In decimal (base 10), the first digit represent how many ones you have, the second how many tens, the third how many hundreds, etc.

1st digit = 10^0 = 1d
2nd digit = 10^1 = 10d
3rd digit = 10^2 = 100d
etc.

It works the same for any base. For binary (base 2) we have:
1st digit = 2^0 = 1d
2nd digit = 2^1 = 2d
3rd digit = 2^2 = 4d
etc.

000b = 0d
001b = 1d
010b = 2d
011b = 3d
100b = 4d
101b = 5d

If we have 01b +01b, that is equal to 1d + 1d = 2d = 10b. The lower case b & d let you know if it is a binary or decimal number.

For hex (base 16) we have a problem because we have to represent 16 numbers in the first digit but we only have 0-9. This is solved by using the number set 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9,A,B,C,D,E,F for 0 through 15

1st digit = 16^0 = 1d
2nd digit = 16^1 = 16d
3rd digit = 16^2 = 256d
etc.

000h = 0d
001h = 1d
002h = 2d
003h = 3d
009h = 9d
00Ah = 10d
00Bh = 11d
00Fh = 15d
010h = 16d
011h = 17d
01Fh = 31d
020h = 32d
021h = 33d
0FFh = 255d
100h = 256d
101h = 257d

FWIW, you can count up to 1023 on two hands. You have ten digits, so the 10th finger will represent 2^9 or 512 and a full set of the rest will give 511 for a total of 511 + 512 = 1023

Add: For those of you who want to freak: I showed this to my ten year old nephew and he got it. He likes math so I thought it would interest him.

Last edited:

brentp

'electrician'

'electrician'

Cadpoint,

What do you call a man that can run the best code compliant conduit runs you've ever seen, but he knows virtually nothing about electrical theory? A robot or electrician?

Brent

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Brian,
Who is going to take your class? In my experience it seems that the ones who need it the most are the ones who are the least likely to take it, and if some how it is a mandatory class, those who need it the most are the least likely to pay attention.

JWCELECTRIC

Just responding to Larry's binary addition in #28. A little attempt at humor. Did not see any Boolean theory. Certainly no fancy graphics, pretty cheesy at best.QUOTE]

Yeh! Same hear just trying to add alittle humor when your explaining stuff over the green electrician's noggin, where they may need explaination of the trade in the simpliest form.

Brian seemed to be wanting to reach new electricians. To me, wiring a receptacle is something you learn as an apprentice. I think Brian has talents that would be wasted by teaching apprentice skills in a classroom. I'm sure he can do it, but that is something they can learn anywhere. I think he wants to teach things that apprentices and young electricians may not have picked up with OJT.
QUOTE]

Sometime it doesn't hurt to go back to the beginning and start with the basics, for some they may pickup something explained in a different way from a teacher with good knowledge (Brian), not a boss/forman yelling at him to get the job done because where behind schedule.

I would suggest having class at the job site if it is allowed on off hours. Bring a good set of plans of the project, and explain how things are installed based on the plans from the utility transformer all the way to the last device. Explain basic math on how equipment is sized based on NEC. Also bring an erasor board to write equations on after the tour.

- JWC

Last edited:

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
What do you call a man that can run the best code compliant conduit runs you've ever seen, but he knows virtually nothing about electrical theory? A robot or electrician?

That person is an installer. just another part of being an electrician.

SegDog

have fun

have fun

You will have a lot of fun teaching a class, if you:

1. know your audience background (target)

2. know your material (goal)

3. control the class (questioners/cellphones/ignoramuses)

best of luck...

brian john

My primary target area will be commercial service electricians (my primary customers in my business)

So...
1. how many hours do you think this will take?

2. how many hours will you present in one sitting?

The first go around would be a one day 6-8 hours, I have given this type of seminar before and thought it worked out. If it seems realistic and I get questions regarding other material I would consider a longer time frame.

3. what method of presenting are you thinking of?

I am a hands on guy and all discussions would be accompanied with some hands on demonstration. I prefer a white board and drawings.

4. will this be after work, weekends, or are you thinking of trying to get them there during the day?

I prefer a Saturday.

5. where will you have your classes?, Hall, shop, classroom?
I may try the union to see if there is interest other wise I have a few connections that have class rooms for rent and they may also sponsor the class.

6. will you present a certificate of completion

I have a draw full of C O C's, IMO not worth the paper they are printed on.

7. do you plan on testing them or just presenting the info?

No test

8. will you have handouts? In color?

There is the issue, there are few publications covering PRACTICAL service work that I want to cover.

9. When instructing electricians, sometime it is difficult to have students with different years of experience in the same class, such as guys from year 1-2, year 2-4 and then all others

These would be anyone that wanted to attend, but geared for service electricians. AND I STATE THIS CAREFULLY, MOST service guys I run into are very limited in the subjects I want to cover. Things I feel they should know.

In regards to topics, that is secondary until you can figure out some of the above.

I have 90% of the above figured out I was/am looking into other BASIC things that electricians should know but few have a clue about.

Last edited:

brian john

As for math I think I would stick to very basic math.

How to figure out amperage from KVA, when you know voltage. The number of guys that cannot size transformers astounds me.

Very basic stuff.

I want this to be common sense stuff.

brian john

---

I personally would love a basics class. From the Engineer's perspective there's a lot that I don't know in the basic workings of electricity. Black and white on paper is very different from the nuts and bolts of actually putting it together.

Pam

I can talk about just about anything anytime and where but when I have given presentations to engineers I get cold feet and feel uncomfortable losing my confidence, little bit of an inferior complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.