Electricity 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

1 +1+1 = 0 sometimes. Unless your teaching men with about same level you will have problems. Just what do you exspect to have when finished ? This is a field that we never stop learning and some have 20 years behind them and i would not trust alone to change a breaker or a ballast. Many have years of wrong info already planted too deep to change. How long of course are you planning ?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Do you not think it is common for an electrician to read the currents on the line conductors and assume there must be a "stray" current somewhere because the neutral does not produce the scalar difference?

Sounds like my house. I have measured 4/10s of an amp on the line side neutral with the main off. There is up to 4 volts difference during daily use. By that I mean that the two sides are within an amp of each other and I have nearly 5 amps on the neutral.

(I live a few hundred feet from a substation)

Now, to figure out a way to capture this energy for the good of all mankind....

mivey

Just as in class/teaching, you need to know your audience...
I'm not really sure who that would be here unless you reply directly to an OP. We have anything from professionals to hacks, jester to shrew, learning to learned, the saint to the aint...

I'm for sticking to the OP and let's get Brian some more input and get off this side topic. Mea culpa.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am seriously considering teaching a class ?Electricity for electricians?
I would love to join you. I enjoy teaching, and I feel that I have a knack for explaining well.

I am open to suggestions for topics. I WANT ALL INPUT.
One big one: explain that loads don't "draw" current, they permit it to pass through them. Practical Ohm's Law, not theoretical.

When explaining the "when voltage increases, current decreases" idea, describe the difference between voltage changing across a single load, and the load being rated to work on a different voltage.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Biran,

I don't think you have to add a thing if your objective is an intro course. I currently teach High school level students (9-12) and I can say that once student understand electricity , and I mean understand the logic, all the other stuff falls into place. For example understanding what happens with an open neutral, or grounding. I find the misconceptions come from people who truly do not understand the logic.

I do one presentation for my student that I will not explain because I don't feel like responding to 50 post saying I am an idiot, but the presentation is done to catch attention and bust as many myths about electricity as I can in one demonstration. After this students truly seem to understand more about electricity than they did prior.

220/221

You should cover things like:

When working with MC, wash your hands before you touch things like ceiling tiles.

Put the drill bits back in the case as soon as you are finished with them.

Don't leave anything on top of an 8' ladder

Don't leave crap laying all around your work area.

I don't care how technically smart a guy is. If he can't get the mechanical work done, he is useless to me.

markstg

Using the right meter for the right task in troubleshooting and acceptance testing. From the wiggie to the DMM, maybe up to power monitors.

Reading motor/equipment nameplate to provide information on troubleshooting equipment/motor/circuit/protective device tripping/motor control.

Balanceing the loads in a Panelboard. How to do it, and why bother.

In a 3 phase system, how do I know which is A, B, and C, how to keep it straight in the distribution system, so the result is left to right, front to back, top to bottom, and Why does it matter.

Troubleshooting electrical circuits...Divide and Conquer.

Heck, I'll take your class.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
The difference between conduit fill and derating.

(I've just noticed this one seems to come up regularly on here.)

hurk27

If these are green horns then I think basic electrical theory is a must, (could be a prerequisite)
resistance (series/parallel)
capacitance
inductance
basic circuit theory
basic Transformer theory
difference between impedance/resistance
AC theory
DC theory

To have this understanding gives us a better understanding of why/how's of code requirements. when we don't understand then we are more likely to not follow the code when nobody is watching when don't understand why it's require in the first place.
not every one is disciplined enough to just do what it says.

The other problem is if we learn to wire by color, then when someone else uses a different color we are at a lost when things go wrong. (very big problem in 3-way/4-way switching)
So understanding how and why a circuit works goes much farther in understanding the out come

Status
Not open for further replies.