EMT CONNECTOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What protects the wires when pulling thru on non insulated throat.connectors?

The bushing you thread onto the connector.

P499255.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
I agree with you from a technically correct position, however, as an estimator I have seen EMT referred to as conduit more often than not. For example, "All wiring shall be in conduit." Then specifying EMT in walls, PVC under slab, etc. or even 3-3/0, #6G in 2" EMT Cond. on a feeder. So, I wouldn't dwell on that technicality.

Here you go. From a job I am working. Took me less than 5 minutes.

Outdoors: Apply raceway products as specified below, unless otherwise indicated: 1. Exposed Conduit: Rigid steel conduit or IMC or RNC.
2. Concealed Conduit, Aboveground: Rigid steel conduit, IMC, EMT, RNC,
Type EPC-40-PVC.
3. Underground Conduit: RNC, Type EPC-PVC, direct buried.
4. Connection to Vibrating Equipment (Including Transformers and Hydraulic,
Pneumatic, Electric Solenoid, or Motor-Driven Equipment): LFMC.
5. Boxes and Enclosures, Aboveground: NEMA 250, Type 3R.
I agree that specification can be important, but many times they cut and paste those without reviewing exactly what they say and assume it will be what they want, then when installer reads it, occasionally says "what were they thinking".

not by UL. UL lists it as a raceway.

So according to the language posted, if you choose to use bushings with EMT, you still would not have to use 2 locknuts. As has been demonstrated before in this thread, EMT is not a conduit, it is a tubing.
So is RMC, FMC, ENT, RNMC, HDPE.... All those except the FMC are also tubular products.

I've never seen an EMT connector with two locknuts.
They're not designed to have two.
They seldom have enough thread that two lockuts would work very well

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Typical of specs nowadays. I would love to talk say 100 end users who are also the ones who pay the bill. Educate them on the items the engineer they hired specified that cost additional money and any advantages that actually exist with those items and find out what percentage go ballistic that they spent money on that.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So is RMC, FMC, ENT, RNMC, HDPE.... All those except the FMC are also tubular products.

Tubular and tubing are not necessarily the same thing in their meanings, starting at article 342 read all the titles and 3XX.2 sections through article 362 for the specific differences.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
Tubular and tubing are not necessarily the same thing in their meanings, starting at article 342 read all the titles and 3XX.2 sections through article 362 for the specific differences.

Roger
Those section Names are based on product names assigned by NEC.

Outside of NEC call it a tube, pipe, a conduit or whatever you want, but what NEC is referring to in art 358 is what NEC refers to as Electrical Metallic Tubing, not Tubing, not Conduit, not Pipe. If you are referring to this product and call it anything but EMT or Electrical Metallic Tubing, you are using slang when it comes to NEC context.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Those section Names are based on product names assigned by NEC.
How did you come up with that? The products are what they are and they are listed as such, tubing is tubing and conduit is conduit. We use the general term "conduit" for all of them but the definitions are the correct terms. UL categorizes them as separate items, see UL categories DYIX, FJMX, and FKHU for some examples.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
How did you come up with that? The products are what they are and they are listed as such, tubing is tubing and conduit is conduit. We use the general term "conduit" for all of them but the definitions are the correct terms. UL categorizes them as separate items, see UL categories DYIX, FJMX, and FKHU for some examples.

Roger

When I said assigned by NEC, that means they have a definition that applies to how NEC identifies said item, regardless of what other trade or slang names that item may have. Bidding documents/job specifications may use trade or slang names or they may use NEC terminology, kind of up to whoever composes them. They also may even use specific product brand names, especially if that particular brand is something being specified.

Surface metal raceway is an NEC term, but is one item that many refer to as "Wiremold", which is most common known manufacturer of the product.

cdslotz

Typical of specs nowadays. I would love to talk say 100 end users who are also the ones who pay the bill. Educate them on the items the engineer they hired specified that cost additional money and any advantages that actually exist with those items and find out what percentage go ballistic that they spent money on that.

That's what Value Engineering is.....when the owner gets the GC bid and it's out of budget, the GC goes back to his low bidder subs and asks for VE items to save money (a shopping list)

Voluntary Alternates are shopping list savings that I submit on my own. I give a shopping list below the base bid (as specified) price.

I love over-designed bids. I get to come up with all kinds of ways to save money (and pocket money). It's a big shiny object to dangle in front of the owner.

This is also why EE's over-design because they have liability in specifying cheap materials. If the owner wants the savings....the EE is off the hook from liability

mstrlucky74

That's what Value Engineering is.....when the owner gets the GC bid and it's out of budget, the GC goes back to his low bidder subs and asks for VE items to save money (a shopping list)

Voluntary Alternates are shopping list savings that I submit on my own. I give a shopping list below the base bid (as specified) price.

I love over-designed bids. I get to come up with all kinds of ways to save money (and pocket money). It's a big shiny object to dangle in front of the owner.

This is also why EE's over-design because they have liability in specifying cheap materials. If the owner wants the savings....the EE is off the hook from liability

:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.