EV circuit installation

Max Headroom

Occupation
General Building Contractor/Electrical Contractor
If it’s anywhere like Atlanta, the permit will be outrageous. I permitted a house at my previous company, City of Atlanta wanted a separate permit for the EV. That permit was more than the permit for the whole house! It’s all a money game.
Out here it’s bad too, $420 to permit a whole house fan but two towns over the EVSE is $98, that’s doable IMO

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
The first residential ones I put in were 6-50r GE models. They seem to be fairly durable, because I know of one that’s been in service for at least 10 years now. After a few years I was seeing some 14-50’s, but most 40 amp I put in were commercial hard wired. Eaton required a neutral because they didn’t make a dual volt rated 208-240 volt coil contactor, so they used a 120 volt coil to be universal. The last one I put in used a 14-50, but could have been ordered as a 6-50. Cost the doctor an extra $75 in wire that he didn’t need, but if you can afford to throw money away on an EV, $75 is nothing! LOL!

Max Headroom

Occupation
The first residential ones I put in were 6-50r GE models. They seem to be fairly durable, because I know of one that’s been in service for at least 10 years now. After a few years I was seeing some 14-50’s, but most 40 amp I put in were commercial hard wired. Eaton required a neutral because they didn’t make a dual volt rated 208-240 volt coil contactor, so they used a 120 volt coil to be universal. The last one I put in used a 14-50, but could have been ordered as a 6-50. Cost the doctor an extra $75 in wire that he didn’t need, but if you can afford to throw money away on an EV, $75 is nothing! LOL

Max Headroom

Occupation
What I heard was some EV drivers carry their EVSE with them when they travel and if necessary they will locate an RV park with NEMA14-50R, I guess the charging station build out is not yet quite enough everywhere.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
What I heard was some EV drivers carry their EVSE with them when they travel and if necessary they will locate an RV park with NEMA14-50R, I guess the charging station build out is not yet quite enough everywhere.
I know of a couple customers of mine who use a very long 6 awg extension cord to charge in their oven outlets out in their cabins and lake houses but they don't know of anyone who'll work that far out in Idaho who'll get them on the schedule to do it right with a charger like their main houses where I've wired them in.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I know of a couple customers of mine who use a very long 6 awg extension cord to charge in their oven outlets out in their cabins and lake houses but they don't know of anyone who'll work that far out in Idaho who'll get them on the schedule to do it right with a charger like their main houses where I've wired them in.
I'll do it if they'll fly me out. :sneaky:

Max Headroom

Occupation
Favorite is range outlet unless customer purchases the corresponding charger to their vehicle then 60 amp fed to disco with thhn copper and with 4 ser or mc feeder cable to panel from disconnect.
Where is the disco in this scenario, are you referring to the 60A dbl pole breaker in the panel?