EV circuit installation

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Most of the AHJ's in my area offer an expedited EV permit.
An EV charger can actually be challenging to inspect: high loads, sharing older panels, and don't get me started on EVSE equipment that can be set in software to a lower maximum amperage -- that just makes me shudder in terms of safety and inspection.
Wish. Got one AHJ demanding a stamped engineer print of entire structure wiring of an existing structure to put in an EV charger. Can't find an engineer doing electrical engineering for residential. Kind of explains some of the work quality I'm seeing in that area, no permits = no inspection = handyman specials.
Checked with one company that does do electrical prints (only large commercial projects) they might be willing to look at it if I draw it, for about $2000 - $3000. Big bump for a generally $500 - $1000 + materials job.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Wish. Got one AHJ demanding a stamped engineer print of entire structure wiring of an existing structure to put in an EV charger. Can't find an engineer doing electrical engineering for residential. Kind of explains some of the work quality I'm seeing in that area, no permits = no inspection = handyman specials.
Checked with one company that does do electrical prints (only large commercial projects) they might be willing to look at it if I draw it, for about $2000 - $3000. Big bump for a generally $500 - $1000 + materials job.
Is this just being required for EV charging, or any larger circuit? How is it that different than an electric range circuit?

brycenesbitt

I see them as 100% exactly the same kind of a install as a large hot tub. Similar install methods and load size.
They may be the same in new construction, but in retrofit it's different because nobody planned enough capacity for a SECOND electric range in the panel. I work in an area with 50-100 year old electric panels mostly.
That said a 240V 20 or 30 amp is actually really quite OK for most people. 50A for EVs is pretty standard, but all night at 240V 20 amp even does most people pretty darn good.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
They may be the same in new construction, but in retrofit it's different because nobody planned enough capacity for a SECOND electric range in the panel. I work in an area with 50-100 year old electric panels mostly.
That said a 240V 20 or 30 amp is actually really quite OK for most people. 50A for EVs is pretty standard, but all night at 240V 20 amp even does most people pretty darn good.
I'd still use a wiring method that'd allow 50 amps after a service upgrade

brycenesbitt

What I heard was some EV drivers carry their EVSE with them when they travel and if necessary they will locate an RV park with NEMA14-50R, I guess the charging station build out is not yet quite enough everywhere.
No, it's not that so much.
A charging station you have twiddle your thumbs.
Overnight charging at a slower rate just works out better in many cases. RV parks tend to have 30A 120V or 50A 240V outlets, but it varies. It pays to have plugs (and, ahem, er, bare wire and screwdrivers) along for the ride.
and
Are how people track these things down, though directly calling an RV park works also.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Is this just being required for EV charging, or any larger circuit? How is it that different than an electric range circuit?
Not sure, This AHJ (not electrical inspector) demand as worded would imply it doesn't matter what is being installed or upgraded. Demands "Stamped Prints". I have no problem providing load calcs, upgrade specifications, etc., but there doesn't exist an engineer doing any level of "residential" electrical prints nor is it required in state codes for residential 1-2 fam.
Locally it has been suggested by several that this AHJ has a personal agenda to block EV from any of his jurisdictions. But having seen a lot of bad unpermitted work in his jurisdictions suggest that people are opting to just get some unqualified trunk slammer to do installations of "whatever" because of his ridiculous demands that might be extending beyond just EVs.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Locally it has been suggested by several that this AHJ has a personal agenda to block EV from any of his jurisdictions.
Submit your permit application and get a rejection in writing from him.
Requiring engineered drawings other than as required in NY State Residential Code R301.1.3 "Engineered Design" is considered an "error or omission on an inspection report" "of a type that should not have been made by a certified BSI exercising reasonable care "...
I would say fill out this form, check the 2nd box down and submit a complaint: