EV circuit installation

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I do that because sometimes the chargers lock up, and have to be re-set. With one customer, the panel is on the third floor in a mechanical room. Much easier to just flip it off next to the charging station.
A good idea. My brother has had a Nissan Leaf for 10 years or more and their hardwired level 2 charger locks up once in a while and they have to reset it at the panel.

Max Headroom

Occupation
General Building Contractor/Electrical Contractor
A good idea. My brother has had a Nissan Leaf for 10 years or more and their hardwired level 2 charger locks up once in a while and they have to reset it at the panel.
Ok so when you say reset, do you mean disconnect power, wait a short while and then power back up again, or is there something to be done with the EVSE itself? Thanks
Yes and if over 60 amps like the old tesla or new Ford 80 amp charger I put a 2 or 4 space cheap panel those are like 60 to 100 bucks with the 100 amp breaker they need.
very interesting, I appreciate that, a 2 or 4 space sub panel if it’s over 60A to act as the disco, what’s the average cost to do a job like that, can you give me a ballpark?

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Ok so when you say reset, do you mean disconnect power, wait a short while and then power back up again, or is there something to be done with the EVSE itself? Thanks

very interesting, I appreciate that, a 2 or 4 space sub panel if it’s over 60A to act as the disco, what’s the average cost to do a job like that, can you give me a ballpark?
No way to know minimum is 600ish but I pull permits and everything. That would get a customer supplied 60 amp charger next to a surface mounted panel and no extra disconnect. Real world can't estimate that with a "ball park" answer. It's like asking what does a generator or pool cost to wire. It's a loaded question.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer

He just goes to the panel and flips the breaker off and then back on. Not a huge deal for him, his panel is in the garage not far from the mounted charger.

retirede

He just goes to the panel and flips the breaker off and then back on. Not a huge deal for him, his panel is in the garage not far from the mounted charger.

Right - if it’s fed from a panel in the same garage, a separate disconnect is overkill.

Max Headroom

Occupation
No way to know minimum is 600ish but I pull permits and everything. That would get a customer supplied 60 amp charger next to a surface mounted panel and no extra disconnect. Real world can't estimate that with a "ball park" answer. It's like asking what does a generator or pool cost to wire. It's a loaded question.

Max Headroom

Occupation
I got you, so if you do have to use a receptacle are you paying $90 for the Hubble industrial grade that EV owners talk so much about?

Max Headroom

Occupation
If I were to have a problem getting a GFCI breaker to fit somebody’s older panel, the idea of the 2 to 4 space sub panel used for the purpose of a disco could then also accommodate the GFCI breaker and could be in close proximity to the EVSE (say inside the garage on the same wall) even if the service/panel were on the other end of the house, sounds like a good plan to me?

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
If I were to have a problem getting a GFCI breaker to fit somebody’s older panel, the idea of the 2 to 4 space sub panel used for the purpose of a disco could then also accommodate the GFCI breaker and could be in close proximity to the EVSE (say inside the garage on the same wall) even if the service/panel were on the other end of the house, sounds like a good plan to me?
Just buy a spa panel in that situation other than the small eaton one they're all good for 100-125 amps. The small eaton one is just a 70 amp buss.

brycenesbitt

Out here it’s bad too, $420 to permit a whole house fan but two towns over the EVSE is $98, that’s doable IMO
Most of the AHJ's in my area offer an expedited EV permit.
An EV charger can actually be challenging to inspect: high loads, sharing older panels, and don't get me started on EVSE equipment that can be set in software to a lower maximum amperage -- that just makes me shudder in terms of safety and inspection.

retirede

Most of the AHJ's in my area offer an expedited EV permit.
An EV charger can actually be challenging to inspect: high loads, sharing older panels, and don't get me started on EVSE equipment that can be set in software to a lower maximum amperage -- that just makes me shudder in terms of safety and inspection.

If installed properly (per code) the ability to adjust the charge rate in software isn’t a problem. The branch circuit must be sized to the maximum output which cannot be (easily) exceeded by the user. The user can only lower the setting below the max, not exceed it.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
If installed properly (per code) the ability to adjust the charge rate in software isn’t a problem. The branch circuit must be sized to the maximum output which cannot be (easily) exceeded by the user. The user can only lower the setting below the max, not exceed it.
Even the branch braker and main breaker are fail safes. No chance of burning anything up unless split buss panel or just completely incorrectly installed wiring.

B677

Occupation
EC
Excellent, thank you for that, I will definitely keep that in mind. So just to be clear, this is not a result of improper torquing or other misdeeds like a little of the insulation underneath the terminal screw, those Hubbles are around $100 and then about the same for the GFCI breaker
Bryant 9450FR is the same exact one for about $45
edit: remember it needs a bigger wall plate hole

Last edited:

Max Headroom

Occupation
Bryant 9450FR is the same exact one for about $45
edit: remember it needs a bigger wall plate hole
Thank you for that, I'll keep that in mind. I have also had trouble with the terminal bolts on some NEMA 14-50R as they were mangling my stranded THHN conductors 8 AWG, I think someone on one of these threads was saying the Hubble had a different type of terminal, one that might do less damage to the conductors when torquing?

retirede

Thank you for that, I'll keep that in mind. I have also had trouble with the terminal bolts on some NEMA 14-50R as they were mangling my stranded THHN conductors 8 AWG, I think someone on one of these threads was saying the Hubble had a different type of terminal, one that might do less damage to the conductors when torquing?

The Hubbel (and probably the aforementioned Bryant) have saddles that clamp wires. The cheap Levitons have screws that directly contact the wire.

debf81f13f6196a611b339df714547af.jpg