Exit sign installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

faresos

Hello evryone...

I have a situation where we need to mount an exit sign from the ceiling (16'-0" AFF). The door and the wall where the exit sign located are all glass. Can we drop an EMT conduit 6'-0" below the ceiling with supporting rod to mount a J-box and then mount the exit sign? Is there any cleaner method to install the exit sign from the ceiling at that height?

Thanks,

kwired

Electron manager
You could try these, but then they wouldn't need you.

http://www.activesafety.com/

I was going to suggest a luminescent sign. True your services may not be needed. You may still get brownie points for making such a suggestion. I would like to think if the wall is glass then they would prefer not to have wiring and mounting hardware exposed if they can avoid it. You could possibly still sell and install the sign.

bpk

I was just working in a newer building with the same problem (all glass). The contractor put the exit signs on about a 6' piece of painted 1/2" RMC stubbed down thru the finished ceiling threaded into the top of the sign, it actually looked ok. I dont know off the top of my head a code issue in supporting it with a raceway though.

hurk27

Jack chain and MC are fine. I gotta check on the SO cord though.

Might be a 400.8(1) violation, of course if it is part of a listed assembly like some pendent lights, it might be a different story.

I have installed exit/emg lights that have down rod similar to a paddle fan but smaller, but I can't remember the brand.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Might be a 400.8(1) violation, of course if it is part of a listed assembly like some pendent lights, it might be a different story.

I have installed exit/emg lights that have down rod similar to a paddle fan but smaller, but I can't remember the brand.

I believe the Lithonia Quantum series exits have pendants available. At least I've spec'ed them before:)

Steve

faresos

I was just working in a newer building with the same problem (all glass). The contractor put the exit signs on about a 6' piece of painted 1/2" RMC stubbed down thru the finished ceiling threaded into the top of the sign, it actually looked ok. I dont know off the top of my head a code issue in supporting it with a raceway though.

Actually thats the situation I have, not sure if this would be a code violation if we support the exit sign from metal conduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.