Exterior receptacle is it legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Can it be recessed in the siding that far
If the junction box it is housed in cannot be opened without removing wall finish, that would seem to be a violation.
If the device/box cover can be removed, there may still be a problem with whether the amount of slack wire in the box will allow the device to be removed and disconnected.
Possibly some issues with working clearance if you think that applies to outlets and devices as well as panelboards, etc.

kwired

Electron manager
If the device/box cover can be removed, there may still be a problem with whether the amount of slack wire in the box will allow the device to be removed and disconnected.

A valid concern, but as long as conductor length allows for 3 inches past the outlet box opening there really isn't a NEC violation.

I have found some of the boxes that have a recessed design are difficult to install max allowable conductors according to box volume and still be able to maintain 3" of conductor past the front of the entire assembly. I generally try to only enter such assemblies with only one raceway/cable because of this.

I can imagine just how fun it will be to change out the device in that photo someday - especially if it has more than three conductors attached to it. If I had any say on it I would have maybe requested they trim about a 6" x 6" minimum area around that instead of making it a tight fit.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
314.20 In Wall or Ceiling. In walls or ceilings with a
surface of concrete, tile, gypsum, plaster, or other noncombustible
material, boxes employing a flush-type cover or
faceplate shall be installed so that the front edge of the box,
plaster ring, extension ring, or listed extender will not be
set back of the finished surface more than 6 mm (1/4 in.).

kwired

Electron manager
314.20 In Wall or Ceiling. In walls or ceilings with a
surface of concrete, tile, gypsum, plaster, or other noncombustible
material, boxes employing a flush-type cover or
faceplate shall be installed so that the front edge of the box,
plaster ring, extension ring, or listed extender will not be
set back of the finished surface more than 6 mm (1/4 in.).

And this very well may be accomplished in the photo in the OP. The finished surface the box is flush/ near flush with just happens to be about 3 inches recessed into another finished surface, and the opening to it is about as small as it can possibly be.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
And this very well may be accomplished in the photo in the OP. The finished surface the box is flush/ near flush with just happens to be about 3 inches recessed into another finished surface
I agree, it looks fine to me.

Roger

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of
being removed or exposed without damaging the building
structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure
or finish of the building.

Looks "closed in" by "finish of the building" to me.

kwired

Electron manager

I did mention it would likely be a PITA to change the receptacle, but at same time it is not closed in. There is a roughly equal size opening in the building finish as the item needing access, that is not "closed in". Kind of like a junction box being accessible from a crawl space, but the crawl space is a tight fit or even impossible to navigate for most anyone over 200 pounds. When I was younger I have crawled in spaces that were ~ 1 cinder block high, I barely fit then but is not happening with me anymore.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation

What I would like to know from the OP, which is not clear from the photo, is what the device looks like with the flip open and whether the metal (riveted in place) is on top of the edges of the base plate of the flip cover making it impossible to remove even after removing the screws.
We can't see that area.
If the black rim is the actual outer edge of the cover plate, then I would have to say that the box is accessible.

JFLOAT

had to use my strippers to to grab it .
They we're flush until 3" of foam and siding was added around them.the siding has trapped the base of the cover . image.jpg

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I am still a bit confused.
Is the bright ring at the point where the red piece meets the old wall surface part of the device cover, the old siding, or caulk?

Status
Not open for further replies.