First large job I am bidding on Do numbers sound right

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Installing 600 amp, 3phase 208 system to old building. Transformer vault 18 feet away from CT enclose.
Will be installing 2-3" pvc conduits with 500 kcmil xhhw, Core drilling into the vault.
Attaching To 48",36" Ct enclosure installing Current transformer mounting base with lugs
installing CT meter socket 24" from Ct enclosure
Coming off CT enclosure to 600 amp Fused Disconnect with 2- 3" 6' long pvc pipes
Installing 2- small 3" stub and lb from Disconnect, diving into crawlspace
Running 2 sets of 3" pvc from crawlspace 30' to old 3" EMT 90s that feed into Large load center.
Load side of Disconnect will have additional ground wire in it
Pulling wire and to all noted system and old Load center.

Putting this into my estimating software got around
53 Labor hours.
Parts are about 10.5k
Total price for this listed job is $24k
Does this seem to high - decent - or to low.

I know you have to look at the job but
I still have to come up with a price for line side of Transformer since I have to run pipe for the power company and run there ground ring.

Attached is a quick look of the layout decking is all going away. I am not doing the trenching

Any ball park figures would be appreciated.

Attachments

• tempImage8UCjg0.png
    tempImage8UCjg0.png
    396.8 KB · Views: 75

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
This does not seem like a large job to me. As long as you have covered your parts and labor, you will be ok. My observations over the years suggest that it is the unknowns that get you. Start on a job and find out where you were planning to dig has a bunch of stuff there already. Or the utility won't install the transformer where you want it for no special reason.

oldsparky52

53 Labor hours.
Parts are about 10.5k
Total price for this listed job is $24k
Does this seem to high - decent - or to low.
There used to be an old "rule of thumb" that you take the materials and double it for the cost of the job. Yea, depends on conditions, but based on that your prices are reasonable.

I think @rambojoe brings up a good point about the LB. I would try hard to lose them.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Thanks, I know it’s not a large drop too most, but since i went on my own I do residential remodels and service calls.
Was planning to come out the back of disconnect but, had lb in case I could not, I’ll upsize then though !!
Thanks again

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Thanks, I know it’s not a large drop too most, but since i went on my own I do residential remodels and service calls.
Was planning to come out the back of disconnect but, had lb in case I could not, I’ll upsize then though !!
Thanks again
Total cost = $24k. Parts cost $10.5k. Leaves $13.5k for the 53 hours of labor. That is like $255/hour. Wish I got $255/hour. :)

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Thats what I aim for When I bid jobs. some times it does not work out in my favor but usually does. Shop for bid lol
Is my labor rate for that job to high? that one of the things I am wondering.

Last edited:
I assume you have, but just be careful with materials. Don't assume anything as far as price and availability, and quotes may only be good for a few days.

Yeah as long as you have materials covered you can't go too wrong. If you are working by yourself, worst case is you just have to work a few long days or don't make quite as much per hour as you wanted.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Thats what I aim for When I bid jobs. some times it does not work out in my favor but usually does. Shop for bid lol
Is my labor rate for that job to high? that one of the things I am wondering.
For service work it probably doesn't matter much. For a more medium sized job like this that high of a rate might matter. It's hard to tell what rate a customer might accept because they just don't know any better. But with that kind of money in for labor if you're a few thousand dollars over in parts in the end it's not going to make much difference to the bottom line

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
53 hours seems low to me
The OP doesn't mention if he's got a helper on this, but if he doesn't and decides to add one, that doesn't halve the install duration with the same total hours. My experience in fire alarm is that it usually increases total hours by about 30%, but sometimes you don't have a choice for safety or other reasons.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Nothing to do with costs but are you sure you have the 110.26 required headroom ?
(unless they are actually on that higher exterior wall_)

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The OP doesn't mention if he's got a helper on this, but if he doesn't and decides to add one, that doesn't halve the install duration with the same total hours. My experience in fire alarm is that it usually increases total hours by about 30%, but sometimes you don't have a choice for safety or other reasons.
But he won't be paying the helper $255/hour. :)

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Nothing to do with costs but are you sure you have the 110.26 required headroom ?
(unless they are actually on that higher exterior wall_)
The entire decking is coming out and roof from ground floor is about 18’
The previous ct is under the ramp to the left don’t know how it was passed

Status
Not open for further replies.