• closed

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • closed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minuteman

It's not a real issue to me, as it is local code to use #12 only, so my competitors have to bid the same wire as do I.

However, it seems to me, that if you use #14 & #12, and I use #12 only, that I would have fewer homeruns and the price difference would be a wash.

hey_poolboy

Just finished a house in a jurisdiction that would not allow any #14 in resi construction. I figured I may as well do all 20's since they make us use #12.

It is kinda sad and frustrating to not be able to run #14 for smokes or some lighting circuits.

growler

Tiger Electrical said:
If the rest of the world uses 14 ga, Homeline & backstabs it doesn't bother me a bit.

Now that you mention it I don't know why I should care either. Much of my work comes from back stab receptacles.
I should be promoting those things and maybe #14 as well.

Just why the heck did they take FPE panels off the market? We should lobby to bring those back. :grin: :grin:

Stab locks forever!!!!:grin: :grin:

Tiger Electrical

emahler said:
well heck, when you're running pipe, what difference does the wire cost make? :D

#12 stranded is easy to work with...#12 romex will wear you down....especially when you get old:D

I don't even carry NM on the truck. Every time I do a service change with NM I'm complaining about having to deal with all those ground wires & all the extra work I have to do. It IS nice that it flexes into the panel. Doing a service change with 10 conduits with a different hole configuration can be trying on the patience.

Dave

emahler

growler said:
Now that you mention it I don't know why I should care either. Much of my work comes from back stab receptacles.
I should be promoting those things and maybe #14 as well.

Just why the heck did they take FPE panels off the market? We should lobby to bring those back. :grin: :grin:

i said that every year we did resi service...cut every corner you can guys...just job security:D

ItsHot

20 on smokes

20 on smokes

hey_poolboy said:
Just finished a house in a jurisdiction that would not allow any #14 in resi construction. I figured I may as well do all 20's since they make us use #12.

It is kinda sad and frustrating to not be able to run #14 for smokes or some lighting circuits.
20 on smokes??? Talking about overkill.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
ItsHot said:

I know this is reverse of my general philosophy on this subject, but what's the big deal?

Just put the smokes on the same circuit as... well put them on the same... you know.. well, put them on the same circuit as ANYTHING!

Put 'em on the dishwasher circuit.

bikeindy

growler said:
Now that you mention it I don't know why I should care either. Much of my work comes from back stab receptacles.I should be promoting those things and maybe #14 as well.

Thanks for not answering the question. i see by your post that you have a size issue. I fixed it here.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The question calls for generalizing when the answer depends on specifics. First, presuming we're talking about residential wiring, I like separating lights and fans from receptacles, which is no more expensive when the area calls for more than a single circuit anyway.

Then I choose the ampacity for each circuit based on the area and likely loads. For typical bedroom/bathroom/closet/hallway lighting, one 15a is often enough for a small house, two 15a circuits for a larger one, etc. I rarely use 20a circuits for lighting.

Then, I might use a single 15a circuit for a smaller house's bedroom-area receptacle circuit, a 20a if it's bigger, or two 15's, or even two 20's if the house is huge. I like to do the same for other areas, like living-rooms, dens, etc.

To me, lighting circuit loads are usually predictable, whereas you never know what someone might plug into a receptacle. Even at the same VA per sq.ft., fewer 20a circuits can handle one large load, such as the infamous vacuum cleaner, and often every light is on when the vacuuming is being done.

growler

emahler said:
i said that every year we did resi service...cut every corner you can guys...just job security:D

Eric, now that I think about it this recession may be my fault. Why did I have to use all those quality parts when there were perfectly good knock-offs made in China. :grin: :grin:

bikeindy

Minuteman said:
Why, just put the smokes on with one of the bed circuits.

shoot it is a 20 amp circuit put the whole house on it unless otherwise required by code. 20 amps is the magic electrical circuit it will carry all.

emahler

growler said:
Eric, now that I think about it this recession may be my fault. Why did I have to use all those quality parts when there were perfectly good knock-offs made in China. :grin: :grin:

i say this only half joking...but you are correct...

we don't have moving parts in most of what we do...if we do the job right, it will last 40 yrs...if we do it half right, it'll still last 20 yrs...we screw ourselves in the long run....

frizbee, good call on the replacement:D

Minuteman

bikeindy said:
shoot it is a 20 amp circuit put the whole house on it unless otherwise required by code. 20 amps is the magic electrical circuit it will carry all.
Dude, I can't use 14. No point in running a 20 amp JUST for smokes.

bikeindy

LarryFine said:
The question calls for generalizing when the answer depends on specifics. First, presuming we're talking about residential wiring, I like separating lights and fans from receptacles, which is no more expensive when the area calls for more than a single circuit anyway.

Then I choose the ampacity for each circuit based on the area and likely loads. For typical bedroom/bathroom/closet/hallway lighting, one 15a is often enough for a small house, two 15a circuits for a larger one, etc. I rarely use 20a circuits for lighting.

Then, I might use a single 15a circuit for a smaller house's bedroom-area receptacle circuit, a 20a if it's bigger, or two 15's, or even two 20's if the house is huge. I like to do the same for other areas, like living-rooms, dens, etc.

To me, lighting circuit loads are usually predictable, whereas you never know what someone might plug into a receptacle. Even at the same VA per sq.ft., fewer 20a circuits can handle one large load, such as the infamous vacuum cleaner, and often every light is on when the vacuuming is being done.

I guess you're no 20 amper Larry. And now that we are saving daylight you can turn off the lights when you vacuume.

quogueelectric

ItsHot said:
Smokes have to be on the master bedroor lighting ckt in my neck of the woods so it will be noticed and fixed quickly if there is a problem. I am not saying I dont use 14 wire I am saying I dont have to like it. I use 14 in my own house but I am using it for light loads like Fridge/dishwasher 14/3, Microwave/range hood. Lightly loaded dedicated ckts. You asked and I answered if you dont like the answer other than yours dont ask any more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.