Gas Pipe Bonding, Particularly CSST

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
I’ve been in a lot of homes around here with gas furnaces, and I’ve never seen the gas line connected to the furnace with flex. They’re always hard-piped. If I ever did see one, I’d assume it was done by a handyman rather than an HVAC professional.
The opposite in my area. The HVAC techs use far more appliance connectors than hard pipe.
The connectors have rules, though. One time use only and cannot be concealed.

Ron

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I’ve been in a lot of homes around here with gas furnaces, and I’ve never seen the gas line connected to the furnace with flex. They’re always hard-piped. If I ever did see one, I’d assume it was done by a handyman rather than an HVAC professional.

Same here. Furnaces and water heaters hard piped. Not sure if it's a code. Dryers, ranges are connected with a whip. Makes it easier to move them.

-Hal

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Interesting how things are different in different areas. Around here the black pipe exits the furnace and a short flex about 1-2 feet bridges to the rest of the black pipe & upside down T & shutoff. Perhaps its just a short chunk of that CSST stuff.

Birken Vogt

Same here. Furnaces and water heaters hard piped. Not sure if it's a code. Dryers, ranges are connected with a whip. Makes it easier to move them.

-Hal

In my understanding, it is code either way. It is "allowed" to be hard piped if it never moves, such as a water heater. If it moves, then it obviously needs a whip.

kwired

Electron manager
I was just in the plumbing section at Menards last week. They have various lengths of yellow CSST available…
ce0345c95dcc0596c9bc514503942fe4.jpg
That is where I have seen it and yes long lengths not just short appliance whips.

kwired

Electron manager
I wonder sometimes how natural gas is going to fare in the coming electric world. Does it get cheaper because less people aren't using it? Does it get more expensive because the transmission costs rise becuase less people are using it?
Until they stop generating electricity with natural gas there will be at least some transmission lines in use.

Will likely kind of go the way some the telephone operators around here have gone though. The local system will go to hell because they won't want to put any $$ into keeping it up until something is absolutely necessary. The dangers of leaking gas maybe adds a little different twist to it but will still be a degrading system for the most part.

kwired

Electron manager
I seen plenty where they put a few common sized nipples together to get from gas valve to the outside of the appliance and even make their sediment trap and place a shut off valve on the rigid nipple but leave the valve with CSST.

Then there are others that run rigid piping all the way to wall, ceiling and transition there - the CSST ends up being concealed and doesn't look so hacky.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I seen plenty where they put a few common sized nipples together to get from gas valve to the outside of the appliance and even make their sediment trap and place a shut off valve on the rigid nipple but leave the valve with CSST.

Then there are others that run rigid piping all the way to wall, ceiling and transition there - the CSST ends up being concealed and doesn't look so hacky.

The manufacture requires a rigid pipe connection from the main gas valve to the outside of the gas furnace, it's then connected to the "Drip Leg" which prevents debris from damaging the main gas valve. Now I see more of the flexible gas lines being connected directly to the main gas valve.

The reason the manufactures require a rigid connection is because a flexible gas line is not strong enough to withstand a "Fame Rollout" incident.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
When you attach a bonding wire to the grounding buss of an electrical panel, it is electrical. A plumber is not licensed to be in an electrical panel
and is in no way is qualified to make the proper connection. What happens if the plumber were to hook it the neutral buss?

I was thinking in 2017 they added some language so they did not need to access a panel for the connection.

I will look up. Thought the change had to do with IBT.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Found it.
I read it as if one was installed than by all means plumber run the wire just like the cable guy etc.
We don't run there tracer wire do we🤔

Let's see how they follow there own instructions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231125-194518.png
    Screenshot_20231125-194518.png
    257.7 KB · Views: 6