GFCI's do not need an EGC (moved from another thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Well then I applogize for continuing to think he still had his head in the sand regarding the EGCs.

It only took 232 posts and time in the lab. :rolleyes:

TwinCitySparky

iwire said:
Well then I applogize for continuing to think he still had his head in the sand regarding the EGCs.

Bob, I'm sure you've heard the phrase "till the cows come home"

They are very stubborn you know... :grin:

Best wishes to your mother Que. I hope her condition stabilizes and improves.

Peace.

stickboy1375

iwire said:

I cant believe there was actually lab time. :wink: One thread i'm glad I skipped most of.

76nemo

I'll throw my own -2 cents into this again. It may have taken 230+ posts to draw a conclusion, but he was man enough to stick by it and present his results. Hats off to you Quo, you didn't yellow belly out of this and stuck by your original post, nicely done.

I once hurt someone very mildly, (just a pinch), and I failed them. Another good friend/brother told me FAIL, was "First Attempt In Learning".

We are all entitled,..............

quogueelectric

76nemo said:
I'll throw my own -2 cents into this again. It may have taken 230+ posts to draw a conclusion, but he was man enough to stick by it and present his results. Hats off to you Quo, you didn't yellow belly out of this and stuck by your original post, nicely done.

I once hurt someone very mildly, (just a pinch), and I failed them. Another good friend/brother told me FAIL, was "First Attempt In Learning".

We are all entitled,..............
What I learned the most is I should have tested the gfci a year ago and I would have saved about 2 weeks worth of typing.
Call me crazy but I have an issue with taking the advice of Clint Eastwood and A Chilli pepper off the internet as scientific evidence of ohms law.
I was most amazed at how closely to exactly 5 ma they tripped I really dont think that mass produced devices are that acurate from lots of service work where I would find ckts with 22 amps on them and the old breaker you just changed used to hold but the new one you just put in now trips at 18.
Now it becomes your problem.
All is good and I do have a bright yellow golf shirt on coincidentally so I am yellow bellied all day today.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
peter d said:
Does anyone know if a GFCI needs an EGC to operate?

yaya.gif

I do, I do. :D

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
480sparky said:
Since you know, can we drag this thread out for another 270 posts to find out?

Well, we're trying to make it to 700 but quite frankly, I don't think we will.:wink:

Roger

gar

Occupation
EE
080831-1331 EST

peter d:

Relative to your question of post #168:

I did get a P&S and I do not like the design philosophy as well as the Leviton. Limited comments were in my post #235.

The P&S 1595 TEST button does not mechanically unlatch the unit. It does use a 15 k test resistor. The RESET button mechanically latches the contacts even without input power.

I do not believe that a test is performed during the latching operation. I believe a test is only performed when the TEST button is pushed.

If latched and you apply power to the output (load) terminals, then the unit trips.
You can latch the unit, RESET, without input power being present.

There is no connection from the ground terminal to any of the GFCI circuitry.

Last edited:

480sparky

roger said:
Well, we're trying to make it to 700 but quite frankly, I don't think we will.:wink:

Roger

OK, let's rephrase the question:

Will a GFI receptacle with no ground function as designed, or does the ground need to be up or down?

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!:grin: :grin:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
480sparky said:
OK, let's rephrase the question:

Will a GFI receptacle with no ground function as designed, or does the ground need to be up or down?

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!:grin: :grin:

Whewwwwww, that was scary. :D

Now, seeing how there are no recent posters with less than 10 posts and the "ground up ground down" issue is lurking, I will close this thread.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.