Graphene batteries

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
My wife’s car is a Toyota Prius prime 2022. It has about 30 miles of ev only driving range then automatically changes to standard hybrid driving which gets about 55mpg... Sure is nice though to hop in, drive around town and use no gas. Once battery is depleted it takes about 6 hours on a standard 120 volt plug to charge it. If we were to top of the gas tank of 10 gallons can get nearly 600 miles of range. Feels like the best of both worlds.
That's what most people would buy because they make sense. The fact that they still use gas though makes them verboten.

Did you know that Toyota only makes one EV and is against the technology?

-Hal

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
That's what most people would buy because they make sense. The fact that they still use gas though makes them verboten.

Using hybrid approaches which reduce our burning of fossil fuels may be verboten in some circles, but for anyone who cares to think the problem through they really need to be considered.

Even if you are absolutely certain that anthropogenic CO2 emissions are a net negative (and I am in the 99% certain camp) you still need to consider total emissions (including vehicle production and use).

In my house I installed minisplit heat pumps. I specifically bought units which can run at the lowest expected temperature in my area, and sized them to provide sufficient heat.

But I don't use them below 30F, because at current oil and electricity prices, oil is cheaper when the temperature goes down. I'm very happy to have the heat pump, and even happier that I kept the steam system.

Jon

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician

Did you know that Toyota only makes one EV and is against the technology?

-Hal
They seem to be pushing the hydrogen vs battery technology the last 10 years. Could be a hydrogen/battery hybrid would work also. Less divergent tech since they'd use electric motors and that's it. The issue with hydrogen has been distribution and storage but it is an option to do this too and produce the hydrogen in ultra remote areas such as off shore or with extra nuclear energy if available or whatever.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
The only people forcing gas to be expensive are overseas producers, mainly the Saudis.
Lol when we stop drilling over here and go buy from those scum. Come on man.
Key stone pipeline was closed and then he goes and keels to the Saudi so yes government is forcing the high prices.
Plus the moronic government depleting are strategic oil reserve for some browny points.
Plus a plethora of more moronic ideas.

Going to stay away from this post for a while so I don’t get it locked

Last edited:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Of course global demand is also at an all time high.

The Saudis and Russians are probably cutting production because they want someone else in the White House. Wasn't going to go there, but you already did.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Going to stay away from this post for a while so I don’t get it locked

Thank you!

You know you are right. I know I am right. We also disagree. Thank you for helping keep tempers level so that we can all keep learning rather than retreating into our respective bubbles.

I will post in the future about why I think you are wrong, but only after I can say it clearly and respectfully. (If this thread survives!)

Jon

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Random thought thinking about the way markets work, the way renewables are growing, and the way environmental regulations and incentives develop:

I predict that in the next 10 years, we will see synthetic liquid fuels produced using renewable hydrogen (electrolytic hydrogen powered by PV or wind) combined with carbon from coal.

This will happen because PV incentives will make electrolytic H2 very cheap, but we will not have success transitioning away from liquid hydrocarbon fuels.

Because our reserves of coal are so huge, we will combine this hydrogen with coal as the cheapest way to get the hydrocarbon fuels. The net environmental benefit will be zero, but there will be huge economic benefit.

This will fund the development of lots of cheap but not well distributed electricity. The transition to low carbon technologies will follow as people find cheaper ways to use the electricity directly.

Jon

scrubbin

Occupation
Maintenance Tech
From KPMG.com:
The transition from vehicles powered by internal combustion engines (ICE) to electric vehicles (EVs) is accelerating, creating challenges and opportunities for companies across the industry. By 2030, EV production is expected to hit 30 million units per year. In 2040, 37 percent of all vehicles on the road in the U.S. and Western Europe will be electric, KPMG estimates.

As EVs catch on, global production of ICE vehicles is expected to peak in the mid-2020s and then start to decline in Europe, the U.S., and China.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I don't care what people buy. If I could, I'd probably buy a hybrid. On the other hand, I can't stand people who claim that EV's are just as convenient and capable as ICE cars under all circumstances. They aren't, but that's the green fanatics and government flunkies' position. There ARE some niches where EV's are a good fit. If car makers and policy makers could just align their vision with reality, it'd be better for everyone.

I don't care what people buy. If I could, I'd probably buy a hybrid. On the other hand, I can't stand people who claim that EV's are just as convenient and capable as ICE cars under all circumstances. They aren't, but that's the green fanatics and government flunkies' position. There ARE some niches where EV's are a good fit. If car makers and policy makers could just align their vision with reality, it'd be better for everyone.
What I find a little puzzling is the popularity of all electric vs plug in hybrid. A PIH that can go 60 miles would seem to allow 95% of people to go all electric 95% of the time, yet allow trips of infinite distance and less range anxiety. Well now that I think of it, of all the people I personally know who have EV's, most of them are PIH. Also I think many people go with the 2 car philosophy where they have an ICE vehicle for longer trips.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
What I find a little puzzling is the popularity of all electric vs plug in hybrid. A PIH that can go 60 miles would seem to allow 95% of people to go all electric 95% of the time, yet allow trips of infinite distance and less range anxiety. Well now that I think of it, of all the people I personally know who have EV's, most of them are PIH. Also I think many people go with the 2 car philosophy where they have an ICE vehicle for longer trips.

If I didn't have to carry the insurance for 2 cars, I'd just keep my beat up minivan for the long trips and have a short range EV for day to day. On the other hand, cars that sit unused most of the time don't do very well.

-Jon

If I didn't have to carry the insurance for 2 cars, I'd just keep my beat up minivan for the long trips and have a short range EV for day to day. On the other hand, cars that sit unused most of the time don't do very well.

-Jon
I have debated the two car scenario for years, and done both. I like the idea of a small efficient grocery getter, and a truck for haulin'. The other thing around here is salt. Maybe have one be a better that you could use more in the rough days to try to keep the salt and rust minimized on the good vehicle. Right now I do have a truck and a car , but both are ICE.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Enough with the name-calling. It does not further your argument and it says more about you than it does about them.

fastline

Occupation
Engineer
Graphene batteries seem to be just making the news lately as a lithium-ion battery alternative that is safer and non-flammable. They are also said to have improved run times, charging time and power output. Anybody know anything about them?

-Hal
There are multiple technologies that are being investigated and thrown around as 'news'. To be honest much of this is a financial game where grants investments, and stocks can be pooled in the sake of "advancing battery tech", but at the center is some people that know good and well their technology will never be affordable or has some glaring glitch. The investors or leaders strip capital out of the business as they "work on it".

Anyone remember the "Bloom Box"? Go look at those old videos. They were going to "change the world". Nope, not really.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
There are multiple technologies that are being investigated and thrown around as 'news'. To be honest much of this is a financial game where grants investments, and stocks can be pooled in the sake of "advancing battery tech", but at the center is some people that know good and well their technology will never be affordable or has some glaring glitch. The investors or leaders strip capital out of the business as they "work on it".

Anyone remember the "Bloom Box"? Go look at those old videos. They were going to "change the world". Nope, not really.
That's a pretty broad brush. Just because some tech did not work out by no means implies that they are all or even mostly all dead ends. Most of us are not experts in battery tech or petroleum geopolitics; there is a lot of opinion expressed as fact being thrown around in this thread, but I guess that is what we do.

Last edited: