Green Ground Screw

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
boboelectric said:
Pittsburgh,Pa. inspectors want GREEN screws.
Bob O.84,Pa.

They can want them but they aren't required which makes their "want" unenforceable.

Minuteman

iwire said:
Roger you will not find a section in the NEC that says a regular screw is acceptable.

However you will not find a section in the NEC that says a regular screw is not acceptable.

The NEC does require that the grounding screws on devices (plugs, outlets, connector bodies, etc,) be green. This can be found in 250.126.

Another section to look at is 250.8

In my opinion this section is somewhat contradictory.

It says we must use listed means.

Two problems with that

1) There is no such thing as a 'listed' green grounding screw.

2) If we are limited to 'listed' hardware there should be no need to say Sheet metal screws shall not be used to connect grounding conductors to enclosures.

Personally I often use the clamp screws after removing the clamp.

GroundscrewB.jpg

Let the battle begin. :lol:

Yuck! That just looks wrong.

iwire

Staff member
Minuteman said:
Yuck! That just looks wrong.

And this looks 'right'?

GroundscrewA.jpg

How about a side by side look. :)

GroundscrewC.jpg

Typically we use the clamp screw but we normally use deep 4" squares with MC clamps.

I used the old work box in my photos as it was easy to show a 'cut away'

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
iwire said:

And this looks 'right'?

GroundscrewA.jpg

How about a side by side look. :)

GroundscrewC.jpg

Typically we use the clamp screw but we normally use deep 4" squares with MC clamps.

I used the old work box in my photos as it was easy to show a 'cut away'

I like your method Bob. We usually use self grounding receptacles so the tail to the device isn't needed.

iwire

Staff member
infinity said:
We usually use self grounding receptacles so the tail to the device isn't needed.

Most we use are self grounding but company policy is to always use a copper jumper.

If you read the job specs you may find many times you should be as well.

Most of the specs I see require the use of copper EGCs regardless of the other NEC compliant methods available.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
iwire said:
Most we use are self grounding but company policy is to always use a copper jumper.

If you read the job specs you may find many times you should be as well.

Most of the specs I see require the use of copper EGCs regardless of the other NEC compliant methods available.

Around here we still have engineers specifying AC cable. You're are correct, some specs call for a copper bonding jumper.

Minuteman

The problem I have that the clamp screw is listed as a clamp screw and not a ground screw. Could you not do the exact same thing (strip a section of the green wire to go under a green screw, then connect it to the device's green screw)?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Minuteman said:
The problem I have that the clamp screw is listed as a clamp screw and not a ground screw. Could you not do the exact same thing (strip a section of the green wire to go under a green screw, then connect it to the device's green screw)?

Sure you could, if you had a green screw. The clamp screw is already in the box. Screws for EGC's do not have to be listed.

iwire

Staff member
celtic said:
Is there really the required 6" of free conductor here:
GroundscrewB.jpg

Yes, there was at least 6" of free conductor in the box before termination.

Once you terminate the black and white on the outlet they are not free either.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.