ground and nuetral were bonded in my subpanel! NO NO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparks2000

I just bought a condo, so the panel in my unit is a subpanel, I just noticed that they have the nuetral and ground bonded! I almost S#!T my pants! I s this why all my electronic dimmers keep burning up and malfunctioning?

iwire

Staff member
I just bought a condo, so the panel in my unit is a subpanel, I just noticed that they have the nuetral and ground bonded! I almost S#!T my pants! I s this why all my electronic dimmers keep burning up and malfunctioning?

IMO one thing has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

dereckbc

Staff member
I s this why all my electronic dimmers keep burning up and malfunctioning?
Seriously doubt it. Don't think you would notice a thing with dimmers or anything else for that matter. Might have caused some radio interference problems though, but that is a big maybe.

All it really did is divert some load current from the neutral to the grounding conductor between your sub and the main panel.

sparks2000

how about the lights flickering when the dimmers were set at a certain position? just trying to troubleshoot this...I never ran into this before!?

dereckbc

Staff member
how about the lights flickering when the dimmers were set at a certain position? just trying to troubleshoot this...I never ran into this before!?
Sparks no offense, but the multi-grounded neutral does not have anything to do with your dimmer problem. They are two separate issues.

Now my first guess is the rheostat has a bad spot in its range causing the flickering. It depends on what type of dimmer you have.

Buck Parrish

Sparks if your multi family dwelling is older, it is common to not have a disconnect outside You would just have a bunch of meters. No isolated grounding conductor.

ghostbuster

We just finished a condo investigation.There was over 40 amps of ground current in a 300 unit complex.Water was turning green/blue and smelled like rotten eggs.Peoples hair was turning green when they washed it ,good luck,I will never buy a condo!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.