Ground rod required at sub panel mounted on a post???

Status
Not open for further replies.

1haz

Installed a sub panel yesterday for a small fountain control box. Ran a 4 wire from main panel to fountain controller which is basically a panel with low volt controller in upper part of panel. We have installed several of these and never been required to drive a gr rod. This inspector is calling the post its mounted to a "separate structure" therefore requiring a gr rod. What do u guys think?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The 2017 NEC has attempted to fix the previously ambiguous definition of a structure. As Jumper stated a structure that is supplied by a single circuit without a panel does not require a GES so the point is moot.

Structure. That which is built or constructed, other than
equipment. (CMP-1)

peter d

The other day I was installing a ground for for a panel on post installation. I had installed the panel months before and I knew how rocky the soil was from when I had the trench dug. The ground rod went down 4 feet and stopped dead. I gave it the sawzall treatment. :cool:

1haz

The 2017 NEC has attempted to fix the previously ambiguous definition of a structure. As Jumper stated a structure that is supplied by a single circuit without a panel does not require a GES so the point is moot.

I never considered a post being constructed or built. it was placed in the ground as a means to support a pvc box (enclosure) manufactured by the fountain company with a built in bus to house their GFI breaker for the fountain and the GFI breaker for the light.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I never considered a post being constructed or built. it was placed in the ground as a means to support a pvc box (enclosure) manufactured by the fountain company with a built in bus to house their GFI breaker for the fountain and the GFI breaker for the light.

Someone had to chop down a tree and haul it somewhere to make it a post, it didn't grow there.

I agree with you but that is what the inspector is going to say. That's what my inspector said to me anyway when I had a similar install.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I wouldn't consider it to be one either but there are many who do.

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The other day I was installing a ground for for a panel on post installation. I had installed the panel months before and I knew how rocky the soil was from when I had the trench dug. The ground rod went down 4 feet and stopped dead. I gave it the sawzall treatment. :cool:

And I can only hope you filed off the saw marks and mushroomed the head with sledgehammer for inspector :lol:

GerryB

You pulled it out and cut off the bottom 4 feet right:p

bullheimer

round here they are not a structure. still, most equipment on a post needs one ground rod, as in a temp pole. dont need two. but that's here in wa. and please note: 2017 not in force. (at this time)

bullheimer

my inspectors wouldnt pass it if it didn't comply with the nec would they?

hahaha, yes they would if the WAC or RCW's (wa state rules) differed.

also if a meter is by itself on a pole, w/o any breakers, feed in, then out in same pipe, one ground rod. i am thinkin, if it is a service, now that i think about what i've done here, that two ARE required just because it's a service. whatever exception there is, and i'm not sure it is a local thing or not, the one ground rod rule does not apply to a service on a pole. at least not where i am. your results may differ.

again, as to the 'structure' of a pole, the 2017 has not been adopted yet. i couldnt tell you what the 2014 says about it however and that HAS been adopted. yes i am admitting that i never bought a 2014 codebook!!!! thats because i dont buy codebooks, just handbooks, and i already have my 2017!!! how it that possible!!!!! (Platt).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.