Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
don_resqcapt19 said:
careco1,

They are correct, if the concrete is not in direct contact with the earth, you can't use the re-bar as a grounding electrode.

Don

I brought this up at a code seminar and the inspectors teaching the class had never heard of placing something under the footings. I'd guess that it isn't done around here at all. I've yet to see it in the field.

stickboy1375

careco1 said:
Thank you all for your input, any thoughts on the requirement for a main in the subpanel? PS, in our area, they do not want us to ground anything to the footer steel! Their argument is that the footer steel is insulated from the earth by the plastic visqueen under it!

Well if that subpanel is at a remote location and you have more than 6 switches than you need a main because of the six switch rule...

stickboy1375

roger said:
Stickboy, you still haven't backed up your claim that a 4 wire feeder "isn't" allowed In CT.

Roger

Sorry I didn't call the state inspector, so I can't claim and never should have, BUT I did look into the amendments for the state changes and could not find anything about the subject, SOOOO, to make a long story short every install is probably a violation, but it is what we we're told time and time again, my boss didnt really seem to care, which surprised me, But ever since he sold his house for a million he's been pretty weird anyway, anyone with a job opening?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
don_resqcapt19 said:
That drawing appears to show the grounded conductor connected to the grounding conductor at two points in violation of the code rules.
Sorry, had to run to work, so I couldn't narrate too well. :D

gmack.jpg

From left to right:
  • Service (Red Leg omitted for clarity)
  • Green square is bonding jumper at service
  • GES for Bldg 1 connected to service
  • Outside feeder, with EGC, open neutral
  • GES for bldg 2 is connected to the EGC of outside feeder
  • The green circle with the white interior is a load

Sorry for the confusion. I whipped that out in about five minutes.

Gmack

Banned
georgestolz said:
Gmack, would you care to reply? Are we misunderstanding each other, or do I have something wrong?

Yes, yes and yes.

Lets start over, with an "open neutral".

Not as you pictured in your post.

Instead color all neutrals "closed" except at the utility/service/supply/line side of main.

When that happens all neutral load current floats "seeking" the source back home.

A 4 wire feeder to a second building would provide parallel paths between both buildings, in effect energizing "everything" connected to GC's and EGC's

Potential is no longer zero. Voltage swings. Its a bad situation.

Even in the diagram you provided, load current can be "relayed" to another ECG/slash wanna be neutral.

IMC, EMT, FLEX. ect.

Here is another term you may have not heard yet.

"Hot conduit"

I would better hope that you have given some thought on fault current on a GES.

Im NOT! Treating you as a "punk kid"

However you can learn from the senior members here, even me.

Dont be so/to quick with code.

Experience counts.

iwire

Staff member
Gmack said:
A 4 wire feeder to a second building would provide parallel paths between both buildings, in effect energizing "everything" connected to GC's and EGC's

IMO you are using the term 'parallel paths' much differently than we normally do and that leads to misunderstanding each other.

Around here a parallel path is one that is closed on both ends.

Gmack

Banned
iwire said:
IMO you are using the term 'parallel paths' much differently than we normally do and that leads to misunderstanding each other.

Around here a parallel path is one that is closed on both ends.

Doesnt matter, all paths are parallel "open neutral" line side.

Load side. Closed or not.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Gmack said:
Instead color all neutrals "closed" except at the utility/service/supply/line side of main.

When that happens all neutral load current floats "seeking" the source back home.
G, this would affect building 2 whether an EGC is installed with the feeder or not. An open service neutral will energize all metal connected to the system, I agree. But it has no relevance to whether the second building is better served using the neutral or an EGC as a ground fault current return path.

If no EGC is run, then the neutral between buildings is carrying that unbalanced current away from the service back to the second building, shocking people there too. It will happen either way, with an open service neutral.

Even in the diagram you provided, load current can be "relayed" to another ECG/slash wanna be neutral.
Please, elaborate.

I would better hope that you have given some thought on fault current on a GES.
I'd like to settle the first bit, then we'll come back to this, if it's all right with you.

However you can learn from the senior members here, even me.
Much of what I know I've learned here. :)

Dont be so/to quick with code.
Dangerous words. :) Edit to add: My sermon from the past explains my sentiment on "quick with code."

Experience counts.
But it's not the beginning and the end. Understanding is the key.

Last edited:

Gmack

Banned
iwire said:
It does matter if we are to understand what you are trying to tell us.

Yes, I assumed you did understand me.

Simply put, with a supply side open neutral all GC,s EGC,s obviously run together in cables and conduits would be:

Parallel and energized.

Yes?

iwire

Staff member
georgestolz said:
No, they fork at the service. You would have two sets of conductors that are energized, but not in parallel. The neutral is insulated after the service.

I agree.

Or to be picky they are not electrically parallel even though they may be physically located parallel to each other for most of their length.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Gmack, judging from your silence I would assume that you agree that an open neutral on the feeder to the second building will not energize metal connected to the electrical system at the second building, provided that the neutrals and EGCs do in fact remain isolated at the second building.

So, I'd like to return to the fault current / Grounding Electrode System interaction question. Here's a recap:

Gmack said:
In fact should a branch neutral hanging out on a 4wire service/feeder to the second buildings GES it will bypass the "service" and "main" and travel on down the road to the sweet spot back home.
georgestolz said:
Gmack, could you please clarify your last post?
Gmack said:
Some of us electricians question the advantage of having stray, faulted currents leaving one building [there by passing/exiting] away from its "main" and its "grounded" conductor.

And there could not be stray or faulted curents running back home to another buildings GC/GES upstream.

georgestolz said:
Why are you concerned about a fault's interaction with any building's Grounding Electrode System?

Gmack said:
Now as to your "very dangerous" question. "Why be concerned aboult a fault on a GES"

Think on this.

All interior metal water piping exposed can and is used [in other than residential which is still used also within 5 ft of meter], for/as part of GES.

Last time I looked interior metal water piping is part of a GES as per NEC.

It can and will become energized and as electricians we bond and jumper so that "FAULT CURRENT" on the GES will trip OCPD's.

THAT! is why Im concerned George.
That last statement imposes a completely different circumstance than you were alluding to in your earlier posts. In the earlier posts, it seemed as though you were concerned about the GES of the buildings suffering some ill effect from a fault elsewhere on the electrical system.

As in, an appliance in building 2 has a ground fault, and someone gets hurt from a water pipe in the first building; or the first building's GES does something with the fault current we don't want, or something. You hinted at it, but never made it clear.

In your last post on the matter, you changed accidents. Now, the water pipe is directly energized (which is called "contact voltage", not "stray voltage") and we're needing to clear the fault as quickly as possible, by opening an OCPD.

I am still confused as to what you're talking about when you say you're concerned about a GES during a fault.

JohnE

I'm jumping in this one late (as usual). After reading the 10 pages of posts I have just a few comments.

1. In MA the way to truly settle this debate would be to get a Formal Interpretation from the State Fire Marshall's office. I would think (or hope) that CT has a similar procedure?

2. I agree that it is understanding the principles is more important than experience. I deal with electricians every day with 20 - 30 years experience who do not have the proper understanding.

3. I'm still confused as to what some of the points trying to be made are.

Carry on, I'll check in after another 100 posts.;)

Gmack

Banned
georgestolz said:
Gmack, judging from your silence I would assume that you agree that an open neutral on the feeder to the second building will not energize metal connected to the electrical system at the second building, provided that the neutrals and EGCs do in fact remain isolated at the second building.

So, I'd like to return to the fault current / Grounding Electrode System interaction question. Here's a recap:

That last statement imposes a completely different circumstance than you were alluding to in your earlier posts. In the earlier posts, it seemed as though you were concerned about the GES of the buildings suffering some ill effect from a fault elsewhere on the electrical system.

As in, an appliance in building 2 has a ground fault, and someone gets hurt from a water pipe in the first building; or the first building's GES does something with the fault current we don't want, or something. You hinted at it, but never made it clear.

In your last post on the matter, you changed accidents. Now, the water pipe is directly energized (which is called "contact voltage", not "stray voltage") and we're needing to clear the fault as quickly as possible, by opening an OCPD.

I am still confused as to what you're talking about when you say you're concerned about a GES during a fault.

You assumed wrong, George.

First off, others and I were talking about "line side" service open neutral.

Thats what I was conveying to you. You either didnt listen or couldnt follow along.

By now should have some idea that the 2nd building isnt "safe" as you espoused. Even now.

I never changed "accidents" All "events" are related to the GES.

You just werent listening. There was a higher discussion going on.

As for that picture you provided, that open neutral could be laying up against some IMC/Ridgid etc and energize building 2 GES and all interior metal piping/EG's etc.

See, you just keep missing the point. Your thinking is one dimensional.

The fact that you are confused is not my fault. I will not reverse engineer your mistakes at mis applying code and try and make them "kosher".

Your ground fault question on a GES shows a total lack/comprehension of fundamental/basic potential and fault clearing.

I tried to reach you but I cannot. Maybe time and others will quicken you.

You seem overly concerned with "being right" on the code issues. Your not.

There is a saying.

"He protests to much".

Im not dissing you so dont bore me with that reply again.

Im sure that we will cross paths again as I am going to reply to you on another issue elsewhere.

We are men and electricians and we can disagree.

iwire

Staff member
Gmack you seem to feel it is Georges lack of experience or knowledge that is the problem here.

Well I have almost 25 years into the trade and am pretty sharp when it comes to grounding, bonding, open neutrals etc.

That said I have no idea what you are trying to tell us.

I have tried to understand as this is a subject I am always interested in.

Maybe you could take a moment and try to explain it in different words, or draw it and send it to me so I can post it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
iwire said:
That said I have no idea what you are trying to tell us.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't understand what Gmack is trying to say?

Gmack, It seeems to me that George has a very good understanding of this issue as well as the theory behind it.

Roger

dsteves

careco1 said:
I have a new detached garage which contains living quarters. We installaed a sub panel fed from the existing service on an existing house. the sub panel is a 125 amp indoor load center containg approx 10 new circuits for the garage and living space fed with a 100 amp feeder. The feeder contains an equipment grounding conductor sized to the overcurrent device protecting the new feeder. The inspector is requiring me to to add 2 ground rods outside the new building and connect them to the grounding bar in the sub panel. He also wants a main breaker for disconnecting means at the new panel. Is this right?

The grounding electrode system is required at the remote building supplied by branch circuits or feeders according to 250.32(A).

The second building requires its own grounding electrode system according to 250.32(A). That is non-trivial to explain. Suffice it to say you need it. If you had a CEE meeting the definition of 250.52(A)(3), you'd have had to bond it too. 250.50 and 250.52 are a starting point for your reading relaxation.

The main breaker is required to be on the inside or outside of the building it serves according to 225.32. No exceptions are likely to apply, unless you are recognized as qualified by the AHJ and you fulfill the requirements of exception 1. Therefore, the inspector is most likely right about requiring it.

By installing the four-wire system according to 250.32(B)(1) you eliminate the possibility of generating "stray voltage" with your installation by inducing a neutral current paralleled on the GES's of the two buildings through the earth. By following 250.32(B)(1) you are required to NOT bond the grounded conductor and the GES at the second building. This is a good thing. Of course, "stray voltage" will be induced during a ground-fault event, but with proper coordination that should be an ephemeral event - short-lived, even ;-). 250.122 gives the minimum EGC size. There is no rule prohibiting you from using a larger conductor, if you are concerned with ground-fault clearing times.

"And now, ... "
"Hey, Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!"
"Again?"
"Nuthin' up my sleeve...Presto!"

An open neutral anywhere in the system will result in line-to-line current flow across the 240v on 120v circuits, instead of L-N flow as wanted, and will likely pull the open neutral toward one or the other line depending on several factors related to energized connected loads. This is not a good thing, as it could damage connected loads, but it will NOT cause ground current by itself. If you had an even number of equal-sized incandescent lamps, evenly distributed across the two line legs, and all of them on, and no other 120v loads attached, you probably wouldn't even notice the open neutral, since the lamp loads would act as voltage dividers and you'd have no significant voltage between the open neutral and ground. This is usually not the case, and you end up with a lopsided load. This will result in elevated neutral voltage on the open neutral. If a connected load fails as a consequence of the elevated L-N voltage on its leg and it shorts to its EGC, then you'll have ground current flowing. Again, proper coordination will clear the fault (hopefully sooner than later). You'll have to remedy the open neutral. It's not hard to diagnose; it will usually show up as an unusual N-G voltage at the downstream panel.

"No doubt about it. I've gotta get me another hat!"
"Now here's something you'll *really* like."

Sorry to butt in on a very long discussion; I just thought it would be refreshing to answer the first post in the thread. You may resume the hostilities.
[added 1925] Sorry, Roger. You did answer the question. So did Tom Baker. Please accept my apologies.

Dan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.