Grounding Receptacle Yoke to Neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
I tried to let the code articles and sections explain themselves. But I do agree, as others have pointed out, I wonder how it got listed like this as far as terminal identification . Something is definitely fishy about this. Please educate me. Thanks.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Would that essentially make a neutral to case connection in the recep box? If so what about objectionable current? I know older ranges and stuff were 3 wire but what’s this used for?

D

Dell3c

NFPA 70 Article 250, Section 140 Exception, last sentence in exception "if all the following conditions are met.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
You don't just go to UL with a product to get certified, they say, "Yeah, we certify it" and you can slap the UL logo on your product. There's a paper trail somewhere, and that starts with a UL certification number.

If this has such a trail...

D

Dell3c

I tried to let the code articles and sections explain themselves. But I do agree, as others have pointed out, I wonder how it got listed like this as far as terminal identification . Something is definitely fishy about this. Please educate me. Thanks.
I thought looking little strange also, the terminal identification. But looking @ front of device, it's denoting "duel voltage rating" 125/250V w/50 ampere rating.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I thought looking little strange also, the terminal identification. But looking @ front of device, it's denoting "duel voltage rating" 125/250V w/50 ampere rating.

That dual rating simply means two hots and a neutral, no ground. Correct for a NEMA 10-50r. As for the rest, it raises doubts.

D

Dell3c

I'm going step aside now.. but.. Denote the silver terminal screw on the back. Straight 250V rated, both terminals generally same in pigment color. Believing that's what the "Green Tagger" is referencing, in his posting. Have safe day.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As Dell3c points out above it was the standard range receptacle for many years. During that time the neutral was allowed to serve as grounding for ranges. From 250.140 & 250.142 it appears this would still be allowed as a replacement.

kwired

Electron manager
seems to be XIONGDA

Maybe China?
and probably doesn't have a valid listing. 10-50 is 50 amp 125/250 three wire non grounding designation, neutral is not bonded to anything but the neutral terminal of the device. Is/was permitted for connection of ranges where the appliance is allowed to be bonded to the neutral conductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.