Habitable Rooms - Lighting Outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Mark Henderson said:
I have not yet seen an inspector say pull out a joint and take off the wirenut to see if maybe the wires are makeing a good connection. maybe that would be a good idea.
Mark, that's a darned good point. I can't count the number of half-twisted wirenuts I've come across that would literally fall out with half a twist reversal. I think fellas get so into the pre-twisting they forget that the wirenut has the responsibility for maintaining the connection (and preventing the nicely twisted conductors from touching other things!)

It would be a better world if inspectors pulled out a splice here and there. :cool:

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
mark henderson said:
But no a crooked GFI sticker.
Mark
We don't even put the stickers on. What for the HO just pulls them off. Anyway I am glad it was you and not me-- I might have pulled the sticker off and stuck it on his forehead so he wouldn't ever forget how stupid he was.

iwire

Staff member
mpd said:
roger

that all sounds good, but when the new homeowner has complaints and they get the run around from the warranty company and contractor, they call the inspection office

Oh No!

Someone at the inspection office will have to answer a phone call. ;)

Better just make the ECs provide light fixtures. :grin:

iwire

Staff member
mpd said:
roger

i am not saying i would red tag anything, i am saying if the building code requires illumination at certain locations, (i do not have my IRC at home to check), what would be the point of blanking off boxes and scheduling a final inspection

There would be no point if it did not get us an electrical final. If it got a building final without fixtures was not our concern.

I used to do a lot of condo work, often we would want the electrical final long before the condo was sold. The fixtures would be chosen by the future owners, the GC and / or developer would deal with that when the time came. So we would put blanks in dinning rooms and sometimes other rooms in order for us to get our final.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
iwire said:
There would be no point if it did not get us an electrical final. If it got a building final without fixtures was not our concern.

I used to do a lot of condo work, often we would want the electrical final long before the condo was sold. The fixtures would be chosen by the future owners, the GC and / or developer would deal with that when the time came. So we would put blanks in dinning rooms and sometimes other rooms in order for us to get our final.

To avoid all the legal BS just put a keyless in place -- its cheap and easy and no question of violation. That's what I do so my butt is covered.

iwire

Staff member
Dennis Alwon said:
To avoid all the legal BS just put a keyless in place -- its cheap and easy and no question of violation. That's what I do so my butt is covered.

If you want to provide free stuff that is your choice.

We did not and there were no questions asked. :smile:

If you doing 30 condo units and providing a two free fixtures, lamps and labor for each that is certainly more money than simple white blanks.

We certainly would if we had to but where not so we don't.:smile: (or didn't, it's been a while)

iwire

Staff member
Dennis, if that works for you great. :cool:

At the time the whole point was the GC or developer did not want to pay two times for fixtures for the same location.

And again they would be no need as the electrical inspectors had no problem in the least with the blanks.

mpd

iwire

I don't know what kind of inspecors you deal, and I don't care, but I answer or return every phone call that is sent to my desk

iwire

Staff member
mpd said:
I don't know what kind of inspectors you deal, and I don't care, but I answer or return every phone call that is sent to my desk

Well I can rarely get an inspector on the phone as they are either inspecting or off. The biggest problem is the help at the city or town halls are generally rude and unhelpful.

But that was not point.

Your post made it sound like you do not want HOs calling the inspection office. I can't see how that should have anything to do with this thread.

In my experience electrical inspectors inspect for code compliance, they are not 'quality control' inspectors.

russ

I didn't read thru this whole post or the old one on this subject so I not sure if this has been mentioned. If a lighting outlet is not required to have a light installed on it to meet code, does a receptacle outlet need to have a receptacle installed on it to meet code.

mpd

iwire

my point was a response to roger, that inspectors get phone calls for workmanship issues, when they get the run around from the warranty company or the contractor who got paid and could care less, the homeowner will then calls the inspection office for help, so no i am not saying I do not want the homeowner calling, if you have read the my post instead of just trying to make a sarcastic comment you would of seen that, until you have been an inspector and know what we deal with everyday, you really do not have a clue

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
russ said:
I didn't read thru this whole post or the old one on this subject so I not sure if this has been mentioned. If a lighting outlet is not required to have a light installed on it to meet code, does a receptacle outlet need to have a receptacle installed on it to meet code.
Of course, it is usally one of the ones required in article 210. 52. If it isn't one of the rquired I guess here goes the arguments again. Just put in the receptacle. Why wouldn't you?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
icon4.gif
Folks, simmer down, it doesn't need to get heated to get our points across. :)

russ said:
If a lighting outlet is not required to have a light installed on it to meet code, does a receptacle outlet need to have a receptacle installed on it to meet code.
From the definitions:
Receptacle Outlet. An outlet where one or more receptacles are installed.
Lighting Outlet. An outlet intended for the direct connection of a lampholder, a luminaire (lighting fixture), or a pendant cord terminating in a lampholder.
A "receptacle outlet" is only such when a receptacle is installed.
A "lighting outlet" is such as soon as the possibility (intention) for direct connection is established. No luminaire need be present to indicate intention, IMO.

Personally, I install keylesses so I can hot-check too. But I enjoy having it as my option, IMO. :)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
MDP, in my area, a contractor that had enough complaints would probably be sitting in front of the Building Department (Inspectors) with his/her license in jeopardy. This usually has a way of taking care of the punch list and warranty items.

These contractors can also be reported very easily on line to the NC State Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors and it can be an inspector making the complaint if he/she needs to.

I do mostly Healthcare and Commercial installations. Many pieces of equipment may not be started for quite sometime after we have left and the electrical final and or C.O. has been issued. The Inspector looks for proper wiring methods, bonding, disconnect locations etc... but has no way of knowing if it will work or not, and really doesn't care, he/she is only concerned with compliance of the NEC and any other applicable codes.

Roger

iwire

Staff member
MDP Here the "Inspector of Wires" inspects and the State handles licensing and complaints from Inspectors and Customers.

Complaints about ECs are handled by the Board of professional registration. They have the power to enforce many consumer issues. They regularly suspend or revoke electrical license if the ECs are not doing what they should.

Check it out :smile:

mpd

roger & iwire

telling a homeowner to call the board of elec. contractors for workmanship issues will probably just lead to more frustration for the homeowner, I have found a call from an inspector to a contractor usually gets it taken care quickly, and its funny I always here the same line, I was just going to call them.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
mpd said:
roger & iwire
I have found a call from an inspector to a contractor usually gets it taken care quickly, and its funny I always here the same line, I was just going to call them.
MPD-- As a contractor I would take offense to you calling me and telling me to go take care of something that is an issue between the customer and myself. If it is a code issue I have no problem but the other issues are not your concern. I think it is honorable of you to care for the HO but I believe you are out of bounds on this one. Perhaps you can direct the homeowner to the proper place to complain. I really don't want to be told by anyone how I should respond to my customers.

BTW-- I have never had a complaint that I know of. I am just giving my opinion. When my customers call I respond if someone else doesn't that is their business not yours.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I can't imagine the competent electrician who would not want to know that their work functions properly, inspection or not. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.