Hand Cramps -- "The Claw"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

I get the occasional finger or thumb cramp, but it goes away if i press my hand flat on a table. ....

I agree, can I add that stretching your muscles and letting them relax from time to time is the way to go.

Strectching your hand back againest the wrist (like Larry said) and holding it strectchs the muscle involved with tennis elbow. This should be excercised if your into tennis (of course), but also golf...

You might also try to relax your muscles from time to time and with your hands totally free, flap your muscles, rotating your arm about it's axis and let them flap! This is like what a swimmer does on the block at the start of a race. Some where I read that one is not to excercise with anything thing in there hands, just walk, etc ...

There's alot that can be said for daily strectching! I know I'll do some warm ups... for many reasons... :roll:

But..... if you also have occasoinal tinglng down the outside of the hands and arms you -might- have a C6 pinched nerve. Often comes, I'm told by my doc., that spending lots of time with your head bent back will do this. Like working on ceiling fixtures... If you do have this tingling, please see a doctor.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I should add that I usually get the cramps an hour or two after work, like around dinner time, not while I'm working. It also seems to happen only after the first long day of work after a few easy days.

The most common one is where my thumb wants to fold over my palm, the second one is where my fingers want to bend at the first knuckle (nearest my palm) but the rest of the knuckles are straight.

It's not extremely painful, but the relief comes from simply pressing my palm flat on a table for a few seconds, which unbends the fingers. Also, running warm water over my hands seems to help.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I give another vote to staying well hydrated.
That I do. I'll dring at least a half gallon of water, diet green tea, or diet Pepsi when I'm working, and I ususlly go through at least one pitcher of water (or vice versa) when we eat out.

mivey

It's not extremely painful, but the relief comes from simply pressing my palm flat on a table for a few seconds, which unbends the fingers. Also, running warm water over my hands seems to help.
Ever skipped the press-flat procedure to see what happens? I start getting very painful charlie-horses in my hand (usually around the thumb) and forearm. Feels like someone pushing a nail into your hand.

Must be nice to have those cushy job-sites with warm water available. I think I'll pass on the only available warm water at some sites (saw it recommended for crab claw on Deadliest Catch: boil 'em good my friends). :grin:

brian john

I seldom twist wire nuts (for the last 30 years), and I get hand cramps so bad I can hardly stand it. So far it has never happened while working on anything delicate or dangerous.

JFletcher

I get hand cramps from time to time, especially if I'm terminating a lot of cat6. By the time my hands hurt, my knees are screaming. :grin: Frequent breaks, flexing, changing up tasks if possible, and Motrin have helped me. Staying well hydrated in the summer months also helps a lot.

But..... if you also have occasoinal tinglng down the outside of the hands and arms you -might- have a C6 pinched nerve. Often comes, I'm told by my doc., that spending lots of time with your head bent back will do this. Like working on ceiling fixtures... If you do have this tingling, please see a doctor.

Ah yes, ruptured disk between c5 c6........ The outside of my arms and hands always tingle and yes I have the claw most days. I keep a small pair of pliers in my desk to open water bottles on some days........... Doc says to stay the 'ell away from surgeons with knives......... I used to laugh at the way old peoples hand writing looked....... So I guess now I laugh at me.

marti smith

Ever skipped the press-flat procedure to see what happens? I start getting very painful charlie-horses in my hand (usually around the thumb) and forearm. Feels like someone pushing a nail into your hand.

Must be nice to have those cushy job-sites with warm water available. I think I'll pass on the only available warm water at some sites (saw it recommended for crab claw on Deadliest Catch: boil 'em good my friends). :grin:

I know this sounds absurd, but I occasionally tie a small water bottle around my neck under my coat to keep it warm, then when consumed, it doesn't bring the internal temp down too much.

As for the cramps, I got a bag of wheat from a relative that you pop in the microwave for about 2 mins. THe heat is great on the hands. I gave it away but replicated it with rice. If you can't sew one up, then an old CLEAN cotton sock works well. Fill it with raw rice, knot it, heat it, you're good to go. Takes a few minutes to loosen the muscles and tendons. Beans work well, too, but they stink. I will, however, try the a.c. vinegar. That is if I can choke it down...

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
By the time my hands hurt, my knees are screaming.
Try one of those mechanic's roll-around stools. When the work is too low for sitting, kneel behind it and lay over it on your stomach. It even helps carry parts around as you roll from box to box. Something like these guys:

5242.jpg

I resemble that remark! Plus, I don't have one, I've just thought about it. ;)

Actually, I am losing weight. Around 50 pounds and 6" off at the waist so far. :)

I'm 6-3 and 175.........and run every day. I just laugh at my fat ass boss who talks about losing weight all of the time and then sends his driver off for donuts or mc ducks. He sucks down the cokes as well.

To those who are fat? Don't eat so damn much.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Other 20+ yr. wire twisters: Do you get hand cramps after/during days of making up splices/terminations in disconnects, j-boxes, panels etc. ?

What helps ? Glucosamine ? Bananas ? Time Off ?

Would welcome any insight on this.

It could be you have some kind of repetitive stress injury. There are some PTs and MDs who have had very good success in treating these things non-surgically, but from what I understand it is not easy to find the right guy.

Its not something you should screw around with yourself though.

Often times an OT can figure out ways for you to do the same tasks without the pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.