Hard-wiring dishwasher

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerdave3

This may sound like a stupid question but I thought it would warrant asking. I just completed a kitchen remodel job and hard wired the dishwasher the same way I usually do. This is a permanently installed under cabinet unit, not a free standing portable. The plumber came in to plumb it up and told the home owner that the dishwasher needs to be cord and plug connected. I told the home owner this is not the case but he still questions it. What method do most of you do in this situation?

blue spark

Under the disconnect rule, we always cordcap our DWs. AHJ doesn't want to see it any other way. Not to mention there's barely any room under and behind those newer units for a JBox and flex fittings.

stickboy1375

it's really nice to install the cord when the dishwasher is sitting in the garage, not often you can lean the thing on it's back and work like a gentleman...

I always install a 2gang box under the sink with a 12-3 feeder, this way i'm good to go if they install a dishwasher, insta-hot, or garbage disposal... or all three.. :) thats why i use the 2gang box...

blue spark

I like that idea! We always install it under the sink with a 12-2 HR but that's a nice way to cover your butt. Do you run a 2 wire switch leg up to the sink light box or recept box then?

stickboy1375

If I know they are installing a garbage disposal then yes I will install a switch leg... if not then I have them buy a batch feed type, or install an air switch in the sink itself, but I have mounted the switch under the sink itself...

I've been caught offguard more than once on this situation... I used to just run a 12-3 to a 1gang box... That was good till I had to install three appliances... :(

mdshunk

If that dishwasher's control has a marked "off" position, you need no form of disconnect. I generally cord and plug connect my installs.

Jim W in Tampa

blue spark said:
Under the disconnect rule, we always cordcap our DWs. AHJ doesn't want to see it any other way. Not to mention there's barely any room under and behind those newer units for a JBox and flex fittings.

Who said you need a j box or flex ? Thousand are hooked up with just romex coming out of the wall.What the ahj wants to see makes no differance.His job is to enforce nec as written .Its not up to him.Unless your town has amendments he can not fail it.

Jim W in Tampa

racerdave3 said:
This may sound like a stupid question but I thought it would warrant asking. I just completed a kitchen remodel job and hard wired the dishwasher the same way I usually do. This is a permanently installed under cabinet unit, not a free standing portable. The plumber came in to plumb it up and told the home owner that the dishwasher needs to be cord and plug connected. I told the home owner this is not the case but he still questions it. What method do most of you do in this situation?

I would have a chat with this plumber with home owner there.Ask him if he would like to show you a code to back his mouth up.Be nice and offer him your code book.Want to really get him ? File a slander lawsuit.It wont go anyplace but will cost him time and perhaps a lawyer.In short tell him to mind his own buisness.

Jim W in Tampa

celtic said:
....also cost the OP time and filing fees.

Might, but then again he could do this at his own free time and could then simply tell the plumber that a letter from him admitting he was wrong and the cost of filing will drop the lawsuit.Any good lawyer would tell him to go for it.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
wireman3736 said:
Sounds Like alot of extra work and effort just to make a point, I have other things to do with my time.;)

BINGO!

It's also not likely to endear one to a customer. Explain to the customer that a cord-and-plug attachment is a safety feature, in addition to the lock on their panel protecting the service person from someone walking out to the garage or wherever and flipping the breaker back on while the dishwasher is being serviced. Show them the code which allows this.

Then offer to install an outlet and redo the dishwasher with a cord for a fee. Reassure them that the current installation is both safe and complies with the code. Then let the HO decide.

celtic

Jim W in Tampa said:
Might, but then again he could do this at his own free time and could then simply tell the plumber that a letter from him admitting he was wrong and the cost of filing will drop the lawsuit.Any good lawyer would tell him to go for it.

That doesn't sound like "free" time..I'd rather be playing with my kids or talking in circles with you :D :D

blue spark

Jim W in Tampa said:
Who said you need a j box or flex ? Thousand are hooked up with just romex coming out of the wall.What the ahj wants to see makes no differance.His job is to enforce nec as written .Its not up to him.Unless your town has amendments he can not fail it.

Sorry, not the way we do it I guess. Just makes sense when the service guy comes, all he has to do is pull the plug. The unit is dead. I would also consider NM coming out of the wall in this case exposed (Not protected). I've always been taught and told that the code is the bare minimum. Helps me sleep at night.
Cheers

e57

If it were meant to be cord connected - why can you order it as an option? Either with a cord, or 1/2" opening in J-box to hard wire, or what-ever else you like to do it in according to local codes....

Note this unit comes with instructions to hardwire:
http://www.bshextranet.com/files/techtoolbox/SHX-V56-57Cii(en-fr-sp).pdf See page 16 romex shown, but in my area would be subject to damage installed in this way, also lacking support <12" from the j-box. (page 7)

Personally, I would tell your customer and plumber that you are not going to quote plumbing codes to them.

mdshunk

422.16 Flexible Cords.

(B) Speci
fic Appliances.

2) Built-in Dishwashers and Trash Compactors.

Built-in dishwashers and trash compactors shall be permitted

to be cord-and-plug connected with a
flexible cord identified

as suitable for the purpose in the installation instructions

of the appliance manufacturer where all of the
following conditions are met.

(1) The
flexible cord shall be terminated with a groundingtype

attachment plug.

Exception: A listed dishwasher or trash compactor distinctly

marked to identify it as protected by a system of
double insulation, or its equivalent, shall not be required to
be terminated with a grounding-type attachment plug.

(2) The length of the cord shall be 0.9 m to 1.2 m (3 ft to
4 ft) measured from the face of the attachment plug to
the plane of the rear of the appliance.
(3) Receptacles shall be located to avoid physical damage
to the
flexible cord.

(4) The receptacle shall be located in the space occupied

by the appliance or adjacent thereto.
(5) The receptacle shall be accessible.

---------------------------------​

422.34 Unit Switch(es) as Disconnecting Means.

A unit switch(es) with a marked-off position that is a part of an
appliance and disconnects all ungrounded conductors shall
be permitted as the disconnecting means required by this
article where other means for disconnection are provided in
the following types of occupancies.

(A) Multifamily Dwellings.

In multifamily dwellings, the other disconnecting means shall be within the dwelling
unit, or on the same
floor as the dwelling unit in which the

appliance is installed, and shall be permitted to control
lamps and other appliances.

B) Two-Family Dwellings.
In two-family dwellings, the other disconnecting means shall be permitted either inside

or outside of the dwelling unit in which the appliance is
installed. In this case, an individual switch or circuit
breaker for the dwelling unit shall be permitted and shall
also be permitted to control lamps and other appliances.

(C) One-Family Dwellings.
In one-family dwellings, the service disconnecting means shall be permitted to be the
other disconnecting means.

(D) Other Occupancies.
In other occupancies, the branchcircuit switch or circuit breaker, where readily accessible
for servicing of the appliance, shall be permitted as the other disconnecting means.

Last edited:

stickboy1375

Jim W in Tampa said:
Cord ,box,receptacle,cover cost what in time and money ? Romex direct takes only 10 to 15 minutes.

I can install a cord on a dishwasher in 5 minutes if the dishwasher is not installed, but if its installed, that means I have to take the toe kick off, I have to lay on the ground, (which may or may not be the cleanest) I have to find the romex that the plumber pushed all the way back to the wall from installing the dishwasher, why not install the cord and be done with it..??? IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.