Help understanding city ordinance - No 15A circuits allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I think camera angle is from just high enough you can't see the "stab" for the top pole, making it look like only one stab is feeding it.

Buck Parrish

I think camera angle is from just high enough you can't see the "stab" for the top pole, making it look like only one stab is feeding it.
PHP:

Yep, that was it. Even I was trying to figure it out and I took the pic. I had to go out to the shop and look at it. I guess I'll save these breakers. I usually only use a used breaker if its an emergency. The covered bridge festival is next week. Theirs a lot of people with campers. I could have some use for them.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
OP your bio says you are in Montana. I would start with the state building authority if there is any.

I had the same situation a few years ago here in Georgia when wiring several houses in a new development. I generally try to play along with local AHJ’s, and asked before bidding if they had any local ordinances that conflicted with the NEC. I was told “no”.

To make a long story short, they failed all of my rough-ins. In Georgia, the state is the ultimate AHJ, and they had rejected this local AHJ’s request for an amendment. The state sent me a copy of the rejection letter. Things got heated when I presented this.

They were making life miserable for the builder, so I agreed to no longer use 14/2, and they passed my jobs. I didn’t have to, but I wasn’t looking to make enemies.

My advice is to check with the state. There should at least be a requirement that amendments are posted at the permit office. Negotiate your way through the current install, and make changes on future installs to comply if you plan to keep working there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jumper

The rule is a local county amendment.

I emailed the county CBO yesterday, called today and left message.

It’s Friday so I will wait till Monday for clarification.

I am just curious what this rule means and intend to find out.

jumper

Holy Smokes people!!!

Check out the reply I got.

15 amp breakers are not allowed in residential construction her in Silver Bow County. 14 gauge wire is not allowed which means a minimum 12 gauge wire would need to be used and you cannot put 12 gauge wire on a 15 amp breaker, thus 15 amp breakers are not allowed. Hopefully this answers your question. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Comments?:lol:

jumper

Ask him if you can put 6AWG on a 40A breaker or does it have to be a 50A. Introduce him to 240.4(G) and see if his head explodes.

Sounds good to me!

Gonna wait till Monday to respond. Gonna have a little fun with the dude.

1. #12 gauge is fine on a 20A breaker.
2. There is no local amendment stating min#12.
3. Exempt is being used wrong per the legal definition. Bad law.

Anything else?:D

jumper

This is what happens when bureaucrats make rules. :rant::rant:

So one either gives in and obeys or is pro active and addresses the situation.

Dude is gonna get an earful Monday and I will file a complaint with the AHJ, Dept of Housing not the inspector, on the rule. I want their ruling interpretation.

Just having a bit of fun. I do not like shirt pocket rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.