Home Inspection report "double taps"

Status
Not open for further replies.

user 100

You just have to be smart enough to get insurance.
:)

:thumbsup:. HIs or even us brilliant electricians cannot catch every conceivable hazard that may be present- the guy who catches something wrong at the panel may not find the stealthy, taped over, wirenut free (and now failing) walled up tap created by the crappy remodel of 1988.

growler

Typical scenario: home inspector says #12 on a 30amp breaker for an AC unit is a defect. My question to them is "why do you think so?"

The level of training electricians get compared to that of HI is very different both in time and quality. HIs need better education no matter what.

I think you have it in for home inspectors because they question your idea of haveing a 30 Amp breaker on #12 NM.

Knowing HVAC installers there is a good change that it is the wrong breaker size.

Did you bother to explain the idea of looking at the name plate on the condenser unit to find the "minimum circuit ampacity" and the "max breaker size". There is a good chance it requires a 25 amp breaker (just because I don't have one in the van).

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Did you bother to explain the idea of looking at the name plate on the condenser unit to find the "minimum circuit ampacity" and the "max breaker size". There is a good chance it requires a 25 amp breaker (just because I don't have one in the van).

I already said I did in this post:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=172434&page=2&p=1681781#post1681781

#12 could legally be put on a 50amp breaker when feeding an AC unit and the sticker listing it as the max permitted breaker rating.

Ive explained this concept in the past, and back then all I got was "no matter what you cant have a breaker larger then the wire" :roll:

growler

I was banned from one site years ago after I kept insisting #12 could legally be put on a 50amp breaker when feeding an AC unit and the sticker listing it as the max permitted breaker rating. I kept getting "your advice is strait out dangerous, 50 amps on number 12 will burn down a home no matter what you think will happen" :happyno::happyno: In the end I was dubbed as never having opened a code book while those giving away incorrect and even dangerous advice kept getting listened to.

Ive explained this concept in the past, and back then all I got was "no matter what you cant have a breaker larger than the wire" :roll:

mbrooke I think you mean well but I also think your teaching methods may not be the best for a forum.

Insisting that a 50 Amp breaker is legal on #12 NM may be a hard concept for those will little electrical training to accept. Sometimes you can't shove an idea down people's throats just because you are right, you have to ease into it.

Did you ever consider haveing them go out to their own AC units and copy down the name plate data and explain it to you ?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
mbrooke I think you mean well but I also think your teaching methods may not be the best for a forum.

Insisting that a 50 Amp breaker is legal on #12 NM may be a hard concept for those will little electrical training to accept. Sometimes you can't shove an idea down people's throats just because you are right, you have to ease into it.

Did you ever consider haveing them go out to their own AC units and copy down the name plate data and explain it to you ?

It is safe to say I dont think you have experienced the environment on HI forums back then and I hope you do not ever encounter such. Believe me, we eased it, shoved it and everywhere in between when the other failed. We all tried our best with respect, pics, analogies, links, you name it. It was simply not a place for electricians no matter how good or well intended your teachings were. There was an "HI vs sparky" mentality. Electricians would routinely be ignored, called wrong, met with contempt and moderators would go as far as editing posts they did not agree with. Most would either leave or tension would boil over. Many highly respected and knowledgeable members like MDShunk for example were banned altogether at no fault of their own only because their posts while correct, contradicted what the other HIs were saying.

Of course today HI sites have gotten a lot better. HIs are listening, reading up on code, sparkies are coming back and some none HI professionals are even being offered memberships to their forums. Its getting better, no doubt about that, but back then it was a very different place.

growler

It is safe to say I dont think you have experienced the environment on HI forums back then and I hope you do not ever encounter such. Believe me, we eased it, shoved it and everywhere in between when the other failed. We all tried our best with respect, pics, analogies, links, you name it. It was simply not a place for electricians no matter how good or well intended your teachings were. There was an "HI vs sparky" mentality.

Not long ago (maybe 30 years) there were lots of electricians running around this area that had never opened a code book or attended any sort of formal training. You would run into the same problems out in the field, open up the book and they just didn't want to hear ( read ) about what the code actually said. Many had job specs and code confused and thought what they did on the last job was the only correct way of doing things.

I have never spent any time at HI sites but I have learned to deal with home inspection reports and that's what's important to me and the customer.

My biggest problem when dealing with home inspection reports is the homeowner trying to hide things in the report. With a copy of the electrical section of the report I will list each item and whatever correction was taken to correct the item. If the homewoner wants to install missing cover plates I simply list these as being installed by the homeowner. I have never had any problems and I have never changed out AC cables that were correct. I have changed out breakers that were not of the correct size.

If I notice a problem while correcting faults found on a home inspection report I can write it up if it's important or just leave it as is. My invoice states clearly that this is not an electrical inspection but only to correct items listed in the home inspection report.

GerryB

It appears that OP asked the same question on a HI site (inspectionnews.net) and the HI's were in general supportive.
Yes I did post there and they were supportive. In a sense I baited them a little bit to see what the response would be and then I felt bad and apologized if I offended anyone. It's my own fault because for some reason even though I have been an electrician for over 30 years I had it in my head that the "double tap" had to be separated to another breaker, thinking I suppose someone added a circuit and had no where to put it. But I'll say I think for the third time I and other electricians we do get work from the HI's and that is always welcome.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
It appears that OP asked the same question on a HI site (inspectionnews.net) and the HI's were in general supportive.

As I said, its changed in the last few years. Things are a lot better. I am posting in several HI forums and its night and day compared to before.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Do you ever get tired of being wrong?:p:D

You might check his last post date.

Not when I am right. :D

His last activity was 6-01-15, 4 months ago. He may not be posting but his account is definitely not banned and certainly not abandoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.