• 20-30

Votes: 67 22.8%
  • 30-40

Votes: 67 22.8%
  • 40-50

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • Over 50

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • I forgot. What was the question again, sonny?

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PCN

I started in 1976 with my fathers company ( I was 11) did it steady except for a few years off to be a ski bum in the 80's & 90's.
Then I joined a large evil corporate empire a few years ago as a designer.

Last edited:

ibew441dc

It seems the age range hear is pretty balanced in the middle somewhere....

I wonder if we could start another poll to see the break down of our affiliations.

1)Union
2)Merit
3)Neither

If somehow a poll could be made only where you could vote, as an attempt to only satisfy the poll and not get off track.:smile:

Anybody else interested.....and will the Moderators allow this. It is not meant to put anybody down or anything like that....it is very similar as to wanting to know how many years in the trade one has been.

hardworkingstiff

Anyone remember solid TW in cardboard boxes?
YES, and YUCK!
Remember the first time you pulled stranded THHN?
I thought I was in heaven.

Started working on signs in 1972 and got my electrical helper job in December of 72. Norfolk, VA journeymans card in '74 (told a story) and masters in '78. VA class A masters in 1981, WVA masters in 1993, SC masters in 1995, NC EC in 1996.

Compared to a lot of you guys though, I'm still a hack.

brian john

It seems the age range hear is pretty balanced in the middle somewhere....

I wonder if we could start another poll to see the break down of our affiliations.

1)Union
2)Merit
3)Neither

If somehow a poll could be made only where you could vote, as an attempt to only satisfy the poll and not get off track.:smile:

Anybody else interested.....and will the Moderators allow this. It is not meant to put anybody down or anything like that....it is very similar as to wanting to know how many years in the trade one has been.

No, no, no, no and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

PetrosA

I started with my dad when I was 12 or 13 during the summers with restaurant work (He was one of those Greek contractors that built a lot of the Greek diners and restaurants in the Philly/NJ area). So yeah, I remember learning to strip BX with a hacksaw and having 20 guys pulling a bundle of 500 mcm on jobsites where English was the second language used between the Greeks, Italians and Armenians ;). At 18 I started with a local company to learn residential (To this day it doesn't feel like real "electrical" work...) and by 21 I had a masters license that allowed me to work in most of the Philadelphia suburbs. At 22 I left the country for a 14 year stint in Europe.

When I came back in '06 I started up again with that local company and have been there since. I'm starting to think it's time to get some licenses in order and get back to being a businessman again... this working for somebody else isn't cutting it :)

scott thompson

Been in the Trade Full-Time since 1983; on and off while I was still in School since 1976.

Performed as both Injunear and EElektrishun since 1989

Currently in the Office exclusively (past 2 Years), working as EE, PM and Estimator (mostly EE, then PM).

BTW,
"Injunear" = Engineer;
"EElektrishun" = Electrician;
"EE" = Electrical Engineer;
"PM" = Project Manager.

Scott

i got accepted into the indepedent elec. contractors apprenticeship in 1994. Union didn't want me ( although it would have taken 5 years in their program!). IECO was taking 100 apprentices a year. Great program. Never looked back...

eric7379

Fresh out of high school, I went to a trade school for HVAC. I had already been exposed to electricity/electronics in high school, but was given more in depth instruction while at the trade school. I decided that I liked working with electricity more, so I did a career switch and have been in the industry for a little over 10 years now. It was the best decision that I ever made!

pgordon

Occupation
Electrician
my first code book was the 1978 hand book an instructor gave me. i still have it, along with an 1990 hand book i studied for my master test. sooooo
many code cycles ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.