How much to charge on failed service call?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G._S._Ohm

$16,000 to replace (600' well, fences had to be removed, cranes brought in etc.). Ultimately the entire run from the house to the well was bad as well as the pump - a walkway was torn up, trees were removed and flower beds destroyed. It was the most nervous I've ever been making a diagnosis. I had enough data to back it up though :)
If you were wrong, as long as you met the reasonable person standard, I guess you would have been covered.

I usually ask myself, "Is there any other remotely possible explanation for the symptoms and measurements that I'm seeing?" Half the time there are and so I pursue them also.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Oh I was pretty sure that there was a GFCI somewhere because the house was new enough, but it shouldn't have been in the bathroom. I made the mistake of using logic that day.:roll:

I have found outdoor & bath receps fed by a GFCI in the crawlspace. Sickens me that an electrician would set up something for a homeowner to have to crawl under the house to reset a receptacle. Naturally, the HO may have never seen that recep, may not even know it's there.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have found outdoor & bath receps fed by a GFCI in the crawlspace. Sickens me that an electrician would set up something for a homeowner to have to crawl under the house to reset a receptacle. Naturally, the HO may have never seen that recep, may not even know it's there.
I did sorta the opposite, and the inspector was okay with it. I put a crawlspace receptacle on the bath GFCI for a bed-and-bath addition we built. It was there for the HVAC servicing requirement.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I worked with 1 guy who was OCD to extremes; he could either be amusing or frustrating. If he was obsessing over quality, he thought things out to the last degree & would not do something that unorthodox. If he was obsessing over time & $ he would put feed new loads with whatever was close by; & it would sometimes wind up being fed from an outside or crawlspace GFI. Customers would call & it would even take us a while to find the GFI. Usually when the call came, he'd forgotten the details of the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.