How to convert electric bill kWH to kVA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It calculates the maximum demand in KW and to find maximum demand in KVA, divide it by average power factor.
You see, the problem is, you are still using the concept I highlighted.

And let me reiterate the question:
The question is how to convert kWH from a utility bill to kVA to find demand on a building for that billing period.

The only demand through usage data the NEC permits in its load calculation is:
220.87 Determining Existing Loads. The calculation of a
feeder or service load for existing installations shall be
permitted to use actual maximum demand to determine the
existing load under all of the following conditions:

(1) The maximum demand data is available for a 1-year
period.

Exception: If the maximum demand data for a 1-year period
is not available, the calculated load shall be permitted
to be based on the maximum demand (measure of average
power demand over a 15-minute period) continuously recorded
over a minimum 30-day period using a recording
ammeter or power meter connected to the highest loaded
phase of the feeder or service, based on the initial loading
at the start of the recording. The recording shall reflect the
maximum demand of the feeder or service by being taken
when the building or space is occupied and shall include by
measurement or calculation the larger of the heating or
cooling equipment load, and other loads that may be periodic
in nature due to seasonal or similar conditions.

(2) The maximum demand at 125 percent plus the new
load does not exceed the ampacity of the feeder or
rating of the service.
(3) The feeder has overcurrent protection in accordance
with 240.4, and the service has overload protection in
accordance with 230.90.

kwired

Electron manager
His question (from post #1): The question is how to convert kWH from a utility bill to kVA to find demand on a building for that billing period.
Guess that is what was asked as is worded, but have to question if that is what was intended to be asked. Like I said, if there is a demand charge then actual demand data will be on the bill, my guess is OP wanted to know what peak demand was for other purposes such as determining minimum size of supply conductors/overcurrent protection needed to handle current loads.

Besoeker

It calculates the maximum demand in KW and to find maximum demand in KVA, divide it by average power factor.
Suppose the period is 30 days and you have total energy (kWh) consumed in that period. It could all have been consumed in one day or at a constant 24 hour rate every one of the 30 days of the period. We are not given that information in the original post. Nor any information about PF for that matter.
So how could you possibly calculate kVA which was the question asked?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Once again, you can calculate a theoretical demand, not the real demand that the utility will use to determine demand charges. I don't know how to say this any clearer. Any calculation you do with only the kWh consumed in a month cannot determine the demand during the 15 minute period of maximum load during that month. You may be able to determine what it COULD be, not what it IS. It might be useful information but it is irrelevant to the OP's question.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
But you have to admit that if you' can categorize the occupancy type and access the statistical load factor (not power factor) for that type of occupancy you will get a better first guess than by just assuming uniform power usage?
Whether that guess is useful to the OP depends on why he needs the information. :)

Haji

Banned
Suppose the period is 30 days and you have total energy (kWh) consumed in that period. It could all have been consumed in one day or at a constant 24 hour rate every one of the 30 days of the period. We are not given that information in the original post. Nor any information about PF for that matter.
So how could you possibly calculate kVA which was the question asked?
I hope the OP may be interested to furnish the details you require.

Haji

Banned
You see, the problem is, you are still using the concept I highlighted.

And let me reiterate the question:

The only demand through usage data the NEC permits in its load calculation is:
Well, I have already commented on it:
NEC 220.87 clearly shows how to calculate maximum demand for existing installations. But the OP still asked how to convert electric bill KWH to KVA.
So it is not under the purview of NEC.
So I asked this question
Shall we continue the discussion or not?
to make a code proposal after discussion to include load factor for calculation of maximum demand in cases such as OP's under the purview of the code.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Well, I have already commented on it:
NEC 220.87 clearly shows how to calculate maximum demand for existing installations. But the OP still asked how to convert electric bill KWH to KVA. That led to the above discussion.
So it is not under the purview of NEC.
So I asked this question
Shall we continue the discussion or not?
to make a code proposal after discussion to include load factor for calculation of maximum demand in cases such as OP's under the purview of the code.
And highlighted is what I keep trying to tell you. There is no calculating maximum demand. It is a measurement... period.

The OP ask the same question countless others do in trying to comply with that section... and the same answer applies to all... IT IS NOT POSSIBLE...!!!

Feel free to propose a change to the 2020 NEC through a Public Input, and I wish you good luck with acceptance... but your idea will not gain any support here until that happens.

Haji

Banned
And highlighted is what I keep trying to tell you. There is no calculating maximum demand. It is a measurement... period.
For an analogue meter, measuring a quantity may apply. But for a digital meter, calculating rather than measuring a quantity applies.

Feel free to propose a change to the 2020 NEC through a Public Input, and I wish you good luck with acceptance... but your idea will not gain any support here until that happens.
Here not support just debate for the benefit the OP.:)

iwire

Staff member
Here not support just debate for the benefit the OP.:)

You have not helped the OP or anyone here in the least. :happyno:

The OP did return and did understand, no thanks to you, that he could not get the answer he needed from the kWH.

Status
Not open for further replies.