How to convert electric bill kWH to kVA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackInBlack

I did a search on the forum but found no answer. The question is how to convert kWH from a utility bill to kVA to find demand on a building for that billing period.

What I have is kWH / hours (number of days on electric bill x 24) then X power factor = kVA. is this correct?

thanks.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
I did a search on the forum but found no answer. The question is how to convert kWH from a utility bill to kVA to find demand on a building for that billing period.

What I have is kWH / hours (number of days on electric bill x 24) then X power factor = kVA. is this correct?

thanks.

Divide by power factor - your PF will vary by what load is online, if just incandescent lights or similar, unity; other wise you need a PF meter to measure. Some Poco meters only measure worst case PF for commercial billing, others continuous, most older residential meters have no PF measuring capability.

Iron_Ben

thanks.

No, not correct, unless the load is completely constant over the month (load factor of 100%). I've seen load factors over 90%, but that's rare. Also, be careful using the terms "kva" and "demand" interchangeably. Demand can be measured in kva but it's much more likely to be measured and expressed in kw.

Converting from kw to kva is easy. As the previous poster noted, kw divided by (not times) PF equals kva. So, if the demand is 100 kw and the power factor is 0.8, then kva is 125. But your utility bill may not have the power factor indicated. For residential or small commercial, it's almost never measured. For industrial and the like it almost surely is. Even then, it's not always explicitly listed on the bill.

But to return to the load (not power) factor concept, consider a theoretical customer with a constant 1 kw load. His monthly bill from the POCO would show 720 kwh of energy consumed (30 days x 24 hours/day x one kw). Since you know his load to be a constant 1 kw, that's his demand, his max. And if you knew the power factor you could convert kw to kva. A different customer who used 720 kwh in a month could have a demand of just about anything. If the load was some large machine that only ran for an hour each month, his demand would be 720 kw. Admittedly this is quite a stretch. But I'm trying to illustrate a point.

When I worked for the POCO, we were often asked how to "convert" kwh to kw demand. You can't. You can make a reasonable guess in many cases, but there is no direct conversion. Having said all that, the new smart meters often capture demand info, even at the residential level. Whether or not your utility has such meters installed, and whether or not they enable the customer to access the data, is another story.

Besoeker

thanks.
Power factor is always less than unity. To get kVA from kW you need to divide by PF, not multiply.

kwired

Electron manager
Take a building like a small town or rural church. It sees peak load a few hours every Sunday, maybe has another couple hours a day or two a week on average that have some activity that uses some significant energy, but the rest of the time there is little to no load. If you try to determine what capacity of source or conductors you need for this based only from the kWhrs on the monthly bill and come up with an average for the month - you likely will not even have a source that is sufficient to supply the peak demand on Sunday

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems

thanks.

As jaggedben says, you can't get there from here. kWh is a measure of energy and kVA is a measure of power. It's like knowing from your odometer only that you drove 1000 miles in a month and from that trying to figure out what your maximum speedometer reading was during that time. If the building is being assessed a demand charge it's for the highest rate of consumption during the maximum 15 minute period (typically) during the month. You can't get there from the kWH consumed in a month, but the maximum demand is usually somewhere on the bill if there is a demand charge.

Your equation would yield kVAh, which is a nonsense number unless the demand and power factor are constant throughout the month. In that very unlikely case you could divide the kVAh in a month by the number of hours in a month to get kVA.

Last edited:

Sahib

thanks.
You need to know the load factor of your load: it depends on the type of building-residential, commercial or industrial. Each type of building has a range of load factors, Using such a typical value of load factor, you can estimate the demand from kWH from a utility bill.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Misleading; see the post #10 above.
Actually post #10 is misleading.
The issue was never converting kW to kVA or kWh to kVAh.
It was converting kWh consumption to kVA demand.
That cannot be done without a detailed knowledge of kW versus time for the entire month.

Haji

Banned
Actually post #10 is misleading.
The issue was never converting kW to kVA or kWh to kVAh.
It was converting kWh consumption to kVA demand.
That cannot be done without a detailed knowledge of kW versus time for the entire month.

No. Load factor=Average KW in a month/Maximum demand KW in the same month. Average KW can be found from the kWH from utility bill. So maximum demand KW= Average KW/Load factor. If the average power factor PF for the month is known, then Maximum demand KVA= Maximum demand KW/PF.

Haji

Banned
Typical load factor values per EPRI report, Assessment of Achievable Potential from Energy Efficiency and Demand Response Programs in the U.S. (EPRI 2009)
Building Residential:0.42, Commercial 0.60, and industrial 0.68.

iwire

Staff member
No. Load factor=Average KW in a month/Maximum demand KW in the same month. Average KW can be found from the kWH from utility bill. So maximum demand KW= Average KW/Load factor. If the average power factor PF for the month is known, then Maximum demand KVA= Maximum demand KW/PF.

Typical load factor values per EPRI report, Assessment of Achievable Potential from Energy Efficiency and Demand Response Programs in the U.S. (EPRI 2009)
Building Residential:0.42, Commercial 0.60, and industrial 0.68.

You cannot determine the demand with the information provided. To say otherwise is simply wrong.

Haji

Banned
You cannot determine the demand with the information provided.
Yes, because the monthly average power factor is not given. But it is the responsibility of the OP to ascertain!
Here an estimate of demand not an exact value, per post#10, is determined.
If you still do not agree, you are simply wrong!

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Yes, because the monthly average power factor is not given. But it is the responsibility of the OP to ascertain!
Here an estimate of demand not an exact value is determined.
If you still do not agree, you are simply wrong!

The OP asked to find demand, not the average demand.

Either show us how to find the the demand with the info provided or admit it can't be done.

Haji

Banned
The OP asked to find demand, not the average demand.

Either show us how to find the the demand with the info provided or admit it can't be done.
Maximum demand is calculated per my posts above. Of course, it will take some time to absorb the contents of the posts. But first thing, I would like to suggest, to do is to have a sound sleep as the time is around 4.00 AM (in US, of course) :D

kwired

Electron manager
Maximum demand is dependent on type of load(s) and how they are used. It can vary greatly from one site to another even with similar equipment.

I don't think you will find any kind of general rule that applies to all circumstances. Some things may even be seasonal in nature - try to determine max demand from data from the "off season" and you will have a figure that is much lower (or even come up with zero load during off season in some cases) then if you took similar readings during the "peak season".

iwire

Staff member
Maximum demand is calculated per my posts above. Of course, it will take some time to absorb the contents of the posts. But first thing, I would like to suggest, to do is to have a sound sleep as the time is around 4.00 AM (in US, of course) :D

You have not showed us how to calculate the demand via the kWH.

Please share your knowledge with the rest of us and post the the steps to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.