How to pull a 500 ft run

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We like "wally world" bags the best. We bought a mile spool of pull string that is marked every foot and rated at 150lb several years ago. Tie the string to the bag handle and feed it in. Wear gloves because you can get rope burn in a hurry. Last long pull we did was about 800' of 3"

To avoid string burn, PRE LUBE the conduit.

I would dump a liberal amount of lube into the conduit then suck a mouse/jetline thru. The lube will prevent the string from burning in when you pull the rope.

If the mouse gets too wet, it may be too heavy to go the full 500' unless you have a good vacuum.

The biggest challange on the vac end it to get 100% seal.

POCO here wants Mule Tape instead of rope. Lube, suck in mouse/string, use it to pull Mule Tape.

Don't you guys blow the conduit clean BEFORE trying to send the mouse through? Especially on a long run like this. Or does that go without saying?

quogueelectric

Don't you guys blow the conduit clean BEFORE trying to send the mouse through? Especially on a long run like this. Or does that go without saying?
A run that long could not easily be blown clean. You may be able to blow some water out but sand /rocks/dirt would e almost impossible to blow out . The persons actually installing a run that long should take extra care to keep conduit clean on install. I would also use primer on a run where water intrusion was a problem or just a better seal on a really long run. I cant say that I have never run long 500-600 ft 2" runs but I would try to avoid a single run this long as it is asking for problems. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do though. Opps I missed the primary thing Sorry my bad.

Last edited:

iMuse97

To avoid string burn, PRE LUBE the conduit.

I would dump a liberal amount of lube into the conduit then suck a mouse/jetline thru. The lube will prevent the string from burning in when you pull the rope.

If the mouse gets too wet, it may be too heavy to go the full 500' unless you have a good vacuum.

The biggest challange on the vac end it to get 100% seal.

POCO here wants Mule Tape instead of rope. Lube, suck in mouse/string, use it to pull Mule Tape.

I'd be surprised if they didn't use their own rope; and I wouldn't want to give them 500' of rope, anyway.

Electron_Sam78

I'd be surprised if they didn't use their own rope; and I wouldn't want to give them 500' of rope, anyway.

It's a power company requirement for non residential cutomers to trench, lay conduit, provide pull box if over 500 ft, and provide pull rope/tape with a 2400 lb pull rating installed in conduit.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I have never had a problem with a shop Vac/ Duct tape and a sandwich bag. Sounds primitive and trunk slammerish but damm it works fast. I first did this in a pinch when I was just a rookie because we had nothing else and I have done it ever since because it worked so well.

daleuger

Yes a mouse cab be vacked that far. Some times a home made mouse works better on long runs. You can make one from a plastic bag. Not easy to describe though.

plastic bag with the end tied on a jet line and a bit of black tape on top.

220/221

Don't you guys blow the conduit clean BEFORE trying to send the mouse through? Especially on a long run like this. Or does that go without saying

Not when I install it myself.

I have installed miles and miles of the stuff and I know how to keep it clean.

Always seal open ends with duct tape and don't throw the conduit on the ground willy nilly. A lttle common sense goes a long way.

For long runs I duct tape the open end and put together as much pipe as I can from one location. If I had a 500' straight shot of 2", I would work from one pile, having a helper drag the conduit down as I glued it together. I would think that I could do 500" this way.

If I was working alone, I could probably glue 100' together, pushing it ahead. Then I'd drag it to the end and do it again. 5 "pieces" of pipe, 10 openings to tape up = no debris.

quogueelectric

Not when I install it myself.

I have installed miles and miles of the stuff and I know how to keep it clean.

Always seal open ends with duct tape and don't throw the conduit on the ground willy nilly. A lttle common sense goes a long way.

For long runs I duct tape the open end and put together as much pipe as I can from one location. If I had a 500' straight shot of 2", I would work from one pile, having a helper drag the conduit down as I glued it together. I would think that I could do 500" this way.

If I was working alone, I could probably glue 100' together, pushing it ahead. Then I'd drag it to the end and do it again. 5 "pieces" of pipe, 10 openings to tape up = no debris.
This is exactly the way I do it and all you need to tape is a couple of couplings with no glue on them taped on one side. Easy to put on easy to take off and keeps the pipe sparkling clean. I also like to have the supply house truck drop off the piles of pvc shagged out where they will be used so thousands of manhours are saved by hoofing pipe back and forth. Did I say hoofing??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.