I failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohmy

If you compare the contacts of a 15 and 20 amp receptacle of the same brand and series, you will find that they are exactly the same. The only difference is the "T" slot on the face of the 20 amp receptacle. There is no advantage in using a 20 amp receptacle unless you have some equipment that has a 20 amp plug on it.

Why would that be true?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why would that be true?
Which part?

The conductive parts of a given grade of receptacle (spec, residential, etc.) are the same for 15a and 20a versions of a given receptacle.

The face slot shape is a plug rejection feature. It insures, for example, that equipment requiring a 20a circuit will be plugged into one.

Most receptacles have what are called 'triple-wipe' contacts, and make contact with each plug blade in three places, horizontal or vertical.

Another example is the 30a dryer and the 50a range plugs and receptacles. They use the same metallic parts; only the neutral slots differ.

Why? It's cheaper to make the same parts and just interchange the face plates for different ratings. 15a receptales are rated for 20a feed-thru.

Ohmy

Just to stimulate conversation: Why?

Personally, the aforementioned ability to use 20A devices, sure; but more so the better quality of the device.

As an inspector, I would want the commercial buildings to be deviced with devices rated to handle the same amount load as the overload protection on the branch circuit.

I guess if your installing a nice comm. grade 15a device, and no one ever needs to plug in something with a 20A side slot and the previous quote about the contacts being the same is true, and you want to carry two types of comm. grade outlets in vehicles it doesn't matter.

R Bob

Based on the OP's info, it sounds as if this is a school/government project.
This may have been cited because of a specification requirement rather than a code violation.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As an inspector, I would want the commercial buildings to be deviced with devices rated to handle the same amount load as the overload protection on the branch circuit.

Ohmy,

Are you saying that you would require something that isn't required by the NEC?

Which part?

The conductive parts of a given grade of receptacle (spec, residential, etc.) are the same for 15a and 20a versions of a given receptacle.

The face slot shape is a plug rejection feature. It insures, for example, that equipment requiring a 20a circuit will be plugged into one.

Most receptacles have what are called 'triple-wipe' contacts, and make contact with each plug blade in three places, horizontal or vertical.

Another example is the 30a dryer and the 50a range plugs and receptacles. They use the same metallic parts; only the neutral slots differ.

Why? It's cheaper to make the same parts and just interchange the face plates for different ratings. 15a receptales are rated for 20a feed-thru.

A single 20 amp receptacle 5-20R will not have a "T", it has a vertical and horizontal slot as it is for lockout of installing 15 amp appliances on it. The duplex 20 amp 5-15/20R will have the "T" and does allow both 15 and 20 amp plugs to be connected to it. (So much for protecting 15 amp appliances on a 20 amp breaker)

All 15 and 20 amp receptacles have the same 20 amp rating as far as the components that make it up.

markstg

Based on the OP's info, it sounds as if this is a school/government project.
This may have been cited because of a specification requirement rather than a code violation.

Do Inspectors, inspect that the EC has installed the electrical system to the Engineers Specifications? I don't think so. I've never seen an electrical inspector have Division 16 during the inspection.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Yeah, I just read that. I agree with the inspector though. 20A devices for 20A circuits in commercial buildings...seems like a good idea.

Inspectors don't get paid to think up the law, their job is to follow and enforce the law. As far as I'm concerned, the inpector is dead wrong on this unless he can come up with a local addendum.

Read 210.21(B) and re-think the matter.

Ohmy

Inspectors don't get paid to think up the law, their job is to follow and enforce the law. As far as I'm concerned, the inpector is dead wrong on this unless he can come up with a local addendum.

Read 210.21(B) and re-think the matter.

Really....I think its a local inspectors job to protect the health and wellbeing of the people in his jurisdiction not the NEC. I think the NEC holds this view as well.

If came across some dangerous work that was not technically prohibited under the NEC or local admins, would you slap a passed sticker on it?

Buck Parrish

Nationally, campaired to 20's their are millions & millions more 15 amp outlets installed in commercial buildings on a 20 amp circuit. Their cheaper.:wink:

Ohmy

BTW, this is discussion about how inspectors do or should act. As an electrician, I believe my job is to follow the rules and to uphold local and national codes even if you disagree.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
If came across some dangerous work that was not technically prohibited under the NEC or local admins, would you slap a passed sticker on it?

If it's that dangerous, bet I can find a way to get it corrected, or shut down if it's that dangerous. Pecking order for evaluating things for me

1. Is it conceptually possible?

2. Is it safe?

3. Is it legal?

It may have been legal when installed, and if it is dangerous now, and you see it, you can recommend upgrading, but can't force the change. What's it worth? I've seen a lodge burn down, because "you electricians cost too much", to do some simple housekeeping. How much was that worth? Can't turn back the hands of time, we can try to make things better in the future.

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
Really....I think its a local inspectors job to protect the health and wellbeing of the people in his jurisdiction not the NEC. I think the NEC holds this view as well.

The inspectors job is to enforce the legally adopted codes.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
BTW, this is discussion about how inspectors do or should act. As an electrician, I believe my job is to follow the rules and to uphold local and national codes even if you disagree.
Then why would it be okay for an inspector to uphold a law that is not written? Can you imagine what would happen if we gave total discretion to inspectors-- or to anyone for that matter.

Inspecrtors enforce the code to do more than that should not be in there scope otherwise some may want #12 wire run to all lighting circuits. It would be utter chaos. Heck it is almost chaos now with the code written as it is.:D

R Bob

Do Inspectors, inspect that the EC has installed the electrical system to the Engineers Specifications? I don't think so. I've never seen an electrical inspector have Division 16 during the inspection.

My error, I agree.

By mistake, I picked up and focused on "OSF" (Office of School Facilities) in Post #5...just another member responding to the OP by citing an example.

raider1

Staff member

That depends on the State licensing statutes.

In Utah, inspectors are required by State law to enforce the engineers design.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.