In sight from

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike bianco

Hello All,
I am being told by an inspector that a residential hot tub installation is not compliant with the line of sight requirement for the following reason:
The service compartment of the hot tub is on the opposite side of the tub from the disconnect. If a service person had his head in the compartment, he would be unable to see it. If he lifts his head (he would not even have to stand) he could clearly see the disconnect. It is complaint with the 5' rule from the inside wall of the tub (it's about 6' away). I told him (nicely) that I felt his argument was unreasonable and I would appeal. Can I get opinion(s) from the forum?
I appreciate the help

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If you stick your head inside any enclosure, you won't be able to see anything outside it. The article 100 definition of "In Sight From" says the one item must be "visible . . . from the other." It does not say the one item must be "visible . . . from the inside of the other." You are right, IMHO.

Welcome to the forum.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
If you stick your head inside any enclosure, you won't be able to see anything outside it. The article 100 definition of "In Sight From" says the one item must be "visible . . . from the other." It does not say the one item must be "visible . . . from the inside of the other." You are right, IMHO.

Welcome to the forum.

I think I know where the inspector has his head!

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
inspector is wrong.

code makes no specification about this.

also, the code does not require a disconnect within 5' of a residential hot tub.

This is clearly stated in the last sentence of 680.41; "This requirement shall not apply to single-family dwellings."

That said, some tub manufacturer's require it in their specs; that would be the only reason you need to install one at a SFD.

cpal

inspector is wrong.

This is clearly stated in the last sentence of 680.41; "This requirement shall not apply to single-family dwellings."

680.41 is for emergency switches, Ithink the requirment for a disconnect would fall back to Part I in 680.12??

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have been turn down for this exact reason also. This also came up with the disposal thread and whether a switch on the wall would count as a disposal disconnect. I think it is a call the AHJ must make but I tend to side with you. I try and install my discos under the tub for this reason.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Reading the definition I would think that the disconnect only needs to be within sight of the tub. One piece of equipment (tub) within sight of the other piece of equipment (disconnect switch).

In Sight From (Within Sight From, Within Sight). Where this Code specifies that one equipment shall be ?in sight from,? ?within sight from,? or ?within sight of,? and so forth, another equipment, the specified equipment is to be visible and not more than 15 m (50 ft) distant from the other.

jamesoftn

I do believe this is code compliant as it can be seen from the equipment location. However if this tub was in a deck, the tub was sunken, the equipment was serviced from below I believe the disconnect should be under the deck. I have been told on this forumn that the disconnect must be visable from the tub not the equipment it serves.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I do believe this is code compliant as it can be seen from the equipment location. However if this tub was in a deck, the tub was sunken, the equipment was serviced from below I believe the disconnect should be under the deck. I have been told on this forumn that the disconnect must be visable from the tub not the equipment it serves.

Yup and you probably get some inspector that says you can't see the discconect from the tub because it is under the deck.

mike bianco

Thanks

Thanks

I am grateful for all the responses. I felt pretty strongly that I had it right but I always like to gather experienced opinions.

The tub is on the same level as the disconnect (not recessed in a deck)

I will choose to fight! (He will probably hose me somewhere else as a result)

brantmacga - FYI, in residential applications, the disconnect means must be greater than 5' from the inner edge of the tub at it's closest point and in sight of the equipment (keeps the occupants of the tub from reaching the switch).

Thanks again to all!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I am grateful for all the responses. I felt pretty strongly that I had it right but I always like to gather experienced opinions.

The tub is on the same level as the disconnect (not recessed in a deck)

I will choose to fight! (He will probably hose me somewhere else as a result)

brantmacga - FYI, in residential applications, the disconnect means must be greater than 5' from the inner edge of the tub at it's closest point and in sight of the equipment (keeps the occupants of the tub from reaching the switch).

Thanks again to all!

This is where you need to closely examine the Article 100 definitions of Equipment and how it relates to In Sight From.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
680.41 is for emergency switches, Ithink the requirment for a disconnect would fall back to Part I in 680.12??

yes you're right.

for some reason i wasn't thinking that was only on pool installations.

looks like it covers all of 680.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I agree with the others. It's in sight from the piece of equipment. Of course if you had you head inside of it you couldn't see the disconnect, but the same could be said if you had your back to it.:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.