Inspectors :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

The gist of the rehab code is: No worse than it was. No less safe.

A 15A bathroom ckt, while an inconvenience if tripped, will not cause the house to spontaneously combust, killing everyone in the tri-county area.

I thought always tripping a breaker every time someone plugs in a 2200w dryer was unsafe? Aren't you overloading the circuit every time?

ivsenroute

It is pretty hard for me to believe that this subject is still being debated when there is a very clear code that covers this with no gray area. I have already stated my position in a previous post that a 20a circuit is required and that to me is pretty simple.

Extending an existing 15a circuit is still ADDING a receptacle and a 15a circuit and receptacle is clearly not allowed. Also given the fact that the initial installation was incorrect in 1996 should really wake up the contractor that he/she is doing something wrong to something that was already done wrong.

Apparently the 2nd inspector lacks in more than one way. One, for not understanding and knowing the code and two, for conflicting with another inspector without first consulting with him as to reasoning.

This install was not done in NJ, NY or CT so none of the relaxed, existing building and electrical codes apply.

There are plenty of other real gray areas of the code that we can debate other than this very simple black and white one.

electricmanscott

It is pretty hard for me to believe that this subject is still being debated when there is a very clear code that covers this with no gray area. I have already stated my position in a previous post that a 20a circuit is required and that to me is pretty simple.

Extending an existing 15a circuit is still ADDING a receptacle and a 15a circuit and receptacle is clearly not allowed. Also given the fact that the initial installation was incorrect in 1996 should really wake up the contractor that he/she is doing something wrong to something that was already done wrong.

Apparently the 2nd inspector lacks in more than one way. One, for not understanding and knowing the code and two, for conflicting with another inspector without first consulting with him as to reasoning.

This install was not done in NJ, NY or CT so none of the relaxed, existing building and electrical codes apply.

There are plenty of other real gray areas of the code that we can debate other than this very simple black and white one.

I'm with you 100%.

What was this about again? ;)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Personally I think it was a good move to put the 20 amp ckt in. I have had bad luck leaving a 15 a circuit in the bath.

If there is a woman in the house, overload is likely.

I have had this exact experience.

I was hired by a contractor to just 'un-do' and 're-do' the electrical in a bathroom re-mod. It had one 15 amp circuit. I wasn't making the decisions but I practically begged to have them put in a 20 amp circuit. They wouldn't.

After re-mod, breaker starts tripping. To make a long story short, after a few trips out and finding nothing, one day I noticed a hair dryer lying on the bed. 1900 watts with a 15 amp plug. Guess what they weren't telling me?

At least I got more work out of the deal because wifey was not going to part with her hair dryer.

Status
Not open for further replies.