Is it a taping a tap violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hill900505

Greetings :bye:,

After a feeder tap wire is terminated to the line side of a fuse block, can I run a smaller size- another tap wire from the load side of the same fuse block to a smaller sized fuse block then connect to the load? Both tap wires are less than 10' and comply with 240.21(B) as far as ampacity goes. Is it a code violation because I am tapping a tap wire? I found a fused distribution block on Cooper's website. http://www.cooperindustries.com/con..._distributionblocksterminalblocks/j-pdfb.html

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
240.21 Location in Circuit.
Overcurrent protection shall be provided in each ungrounded circuit conductor and shall be located at the point where the conductors receive their supply
except as specified in 240.21(A) through (H). Conductors supplied under the provisions of 240.21(A) through (H) shall not supply another conductor except through an overcurrent protective device meeting the requirements of 240.4.

If you are on the load side of the fuse that is supplied by the original tap, that is not taping a tap. The conductor connected to the load side of the fuse may be a tap conductor if the fuse has a rating that exceeds the ampacity of the conductor. If you are making a connection to the original tap conductor on the line side of the fuse block that is supplied by the original tap conductor, that would be prohibited per the above section.

kwired

Electron manager
[/B]If you are on the load side of the fuse that is supplied by the original tap, that is not taping a tap. The conductor connected to the load side of the fuse may be a tap conductor if the fuse has a rating that exceeds the ampacity of the conductor. If you are making a connection to the original tap conductor on the line side of the fuse block that is supplied by the original tap conductor, that would be prohibited per the above section.
completely agree with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.