Island Receptacles

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
To all interested posters. mhosier, greentager, jpflex, kec

Here's more about a kitchen island receptacle image in the 2020 NEC Handbook that shows only one receptacle and the island is 54 inches by 20 inches.

Now, the dimensions are based on square inches, 54 x 24 inches, which I believe is typical for most cabinet builders when designing cabinets.

So, we have to convert square inches to square feet in order to conform to the square footage as found there in 210.52 (C) (2).

Here's how to do that.

Convert 1,080 square inches to square feet.

54 inches x 20 inches = 1,080 square inches.

Take the 1,080 square inches x 0.006944 = 7.49 square feet now or 8 square feet.

So the 8 square feet is within the first 9 square feet as per 210.52 (C) (2), a minimum of one.

Thus, only one receptacle is required. As illustrated.

Section 210.52 (C) (3) Receptacle Outlet Location. Receptacle outlets shall be located in one or more of the following, (1) (2) (3).
NEC Code Commentary,2020, states that island countertops do not have a mandatory receptacle outlet placement requirement, and the minimum number of outlet(s) determined in accordance with 210.52 (C) (2)(a) can be located as desired by the owner, installer (electrician),or designer.

TX+MASTER#4544
Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted.
Handbook comments are unenforceable where I'm licensed.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
hello, mhosier,
The section you are describing is from 2020 NEC. It's not in the 2023. I refer all my Code stuff and such to the 2023.

See Article 100 Definitions. Receptacle. Read it and..... "notice the difference between a "duplex" and a "single" receptacle?"
Also, read the Informational Note, too.

While you're there in Article 100 check the definition of Receptacle Outlet. It reads like it's a duplex receptacle...."one or more ......".

Is this a duplex or maybe 2 duplexes in a 4 square box?

Or, does it match the definition found there in 220.14 ( I). A single piece of equipment consisting of a multiple receptacle comprised of four or more receptacles shall be calculated at not less than 90 volt-amperes per receptacles. It doesn't apply to 210.11(C) (1)and (2).

Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted.
TEX+MASTER #4544

PS I would like to open up the new 2023 Section NEC 210.52(C)(2) (3) (1)-(3). I have a problem with it. And it could be a serious problem for those who don't pay close attention to it and are still 'attached' to the 2020 NEC.
The receptacle outlet is nothing more than the box that a receptacle is installed in. The receptacle could be a single, a duplex, or a quadplex, but each box no matter how many contact devices are installed in it, is one receptacle outlet.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Handbook comments are no more enforceable than any comment posted on this site. They are simply the opinion of NFPA paid staff. The disclaimer at the beginning of the handbook even says that.
Notice to Users
Throughout this handbook, the commentary text is printed in blue type to distinguish it from the
Code text. Note that the commentary is not part of the Code and therefore is not enforceable.
This also applies to the "enhanced content" if you are using NFPA LinK, however the disclaimer is buried in the license agreement that we all click yes to, without reading it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I know many do not read an entire thread but the definition of receptacle outlet is in post #2 which is directly correlated to the OP.

John A

Occupation
Inspector
A sq. ft. is 12" x 12" or 144 sq. inches; correct?

Then why not divide the 1080 sq. inches by 144? Rounded answer is 7.5 Sq. Ft.

Occupation
electrical Code instructor and mentor
The receptacle outlet is nothing more than the box that a receptacle is installed in. The receptacle could be a single, a duplex, or a quadplex, but each box no matter how many contact devices are installed in it, is one receptacle outlet.

Re: outlet etc.,
Article 100 Definitions. Outlet. A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

It may be a receptacle outlet, appliance outlet, lighting outlets, smoke alarm outlets, and a lot of Required Outlets in Part III beginning at Section 210.50 and including outdoor outlets such as an appliance for an A/C unit. Side note, remember when GFCIs were required for A/Cs back in 2020 NEC, due to nuisance tripping? That's an outlet for an A/C unit.

Again, Article 100 for definitions. Utilization Equipment. Equipment that utilizes electric energy for electronic ,electromechanical ,chemical, heating, lighting, or similar purposes.

Another definition found in Article 100 is Receptacle Outlet. An outlet where one or more receptacles are installed.

What do all of these have in common? They meet the definition of outlet found in Article 100. A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

It may be a single receptacle or a duplex receptacle, or even multioutlet assembly, known as 'plug-mold' found in Article 380 and 220.14 (H) for specifics as to how to calculate it when it's found in other than dwellings.

If you install a four square box with 2 duplexes in it you have two devices on separate yokes (straps) that equal 180 VA each when installed in other than a dwelling. You would have "two points on the wiring system" at which current is taken and both or each may be fed from a circuit(s).

Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted
TX+MASTER #4544

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Article 100 Definitions. Outlet. A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

It may be a receptacle outlet, appliance outlet, lighting outlets, smoke alarm outlets, and a lot of Required Outlets in Part III beginning at Section 210.50 and including outdoor outlets such as an appliance for an A/C unit. Side note, remember when GFCIs were required for A/Cs back in 2020 NEC, due to nuisance tripping? That's an outlet for an A/C unit.

Again, Article 100 for definitions. Utilization Equipment. Equipment that utilizes electric energy for electronic ,electromechanical ,chemical, heating, lighting, or similar purposes.

Another definition found in Article 100 is Receptacle Outlet. An outlet where one or more receptacles are installed.

What do all of these have in common? They meet the definition of outlet found in Article 100. A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

It may be a single receptacle or a duplex receptacle, or even multioutlet assembly, known as 'plug-mold' found in Article 380 and 220.14 (H) for specifics as to how to calculate it when it's found in other than dwellings.

If you install a four square box with 2 duplexes in it you have two devices on separate yokes (straps) that equal 180 VA each when installed in other than a dwelling. You would have "two points on the wiring system" at which current is taken and both or each may be fed from a circuit(s).

Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted
TX+MASTER #4544
You know he's on a cmp lol

Occupation
You know he's on a cmp lol

Well, you know what, I suppose I'll take that as a compliment but I am not a Code expert.

Mike Holt is THE CODE EXPERT! "Stump it up," Mike! Read his amazing articles in EC&M Magazine and you wont need an instructor.

It's all free from Mike Holt Enterprises.

So now is the time to give thanks to whom I owe it to.

Read on.

I've learned a wealth of Code book stuff from him and so much from his textbooks. And the monthly EC&M Magazine articles that's written in language that you can understand, with outstanding excellent images.

Thanks to Mike who offered so much of his free electrical literature to a struggling young novice instructor many years ago, that gave me a jump start into an exciting career in teaching so many students how to successfully pass the electrical exam.

By the way, I still refer to one his 2005 textbooks, yes I did say 2005 textbook that is slightly wore out and with a lot of my scribbly hand made notes.

I still use it today when I offer private lessons here at my shop in Terrell, Texas. Students chuckle when they see it.

I'm just a nerdy ( not dirty ) old guy who is addicted to the NEC Code. Try it you will like it.

However, I'm not on any Code Making Panel (cmp) and don't have the desire to be. I'll let somebody else do that thankless job of writing and revising all those Code Articles that seem to be at times, "what did that say, what does that mean" oh, no, here we go again.

Thanks, Mike for all you do for us electricians!

I love the Code forum!

Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted.
TX+MASTER#4544

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted
TX+MASTER #4544
I have no idea what you are trying to say, using all of those words!

Occupation
It's a shame the word concise is not in article 100. 😏

No, it isn't in Article 100 of the 2023 NEC.
Maybe it should be so more people would appreciate reading some ones writing skills.

There's still time for you to submit a proposal to NFPA about including it in the next Code revision cycle for 2026 NEC edition.
There may be an application for submitting your proposal found in your Code book.

But it is in the dictionary.

Concise ...."(of speech, writing style, ,or a person) brief but comprehensive in expression."

That was a direct definition from the dictionary. And it was brief.

Thanks for your comment.
Don't stop reading.
TX+MASTER#4544

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Maybe it should be so more people would appreciate reading some ones writing skills.

There's still time for you to submit a proposal to NFPA about including it in the next Code revision cycle for 2026 NEC edition.
There may be an application for submitting your proposal found in your Code book.

Concise ...."(of speech, writing style, ,or a person) brief but comprehensive in expression."

Thanks for your comment.
Don't stop reading.
TX+MASTER#4544
You must've been fun in school

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

TX+MASTER#4544
BTW, you're wrong, the 2026 deadline has come and gone, it was Sept of 23.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Thanks for your comment.
Don't stop reading.
TX+MASTER#4544
The submissions are pretty much all online now at the NFPA website, but as Roger said, way too late to make a public input for the 2026 code. There will be an opportunity to try and influence the 2026 code with a public comment on the actions taken in the first draft, but no new material can be submitted. The window of opportunity is small...July 10th, through August 28th of this year.

kwired

Electron manager
Handbook comments are unenforceable where I'm licensed.
True but they are the author's interpretation of the rules, just like our discussions on this site often are.

So the handbook can't be referenced to for a violation if the law is NFPA 70, but where there is interpretation issues an inspector could certainly take the view of something he happened to read in the handbook, or for that matter any place else.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
True but they are the author's interpretation of the rules, just like our discussions on this site often are.

So the handbook can't be referenced to for a violation if the law is NFPA 70, but where there is interpretation issues an inspector could certainly take the view of something he happened to read in the handbook, or for that matter any place else.
Yes I agree and that's why I have one

mhosier

Good morning gentlemen,

Thank you for the responses! Unfortunately for me, I am in the California Electrical Code, and we are in the 2022 still (based off the 2020 NEC). I have the 2023 NEC but the AHJ has adopted the CEC so I am still stuck calling it as it lies.