Island Receptacles

mhosier

210.52 (C) (2) (a) now requires "At least one receptacle outlet shall be provided for the first (9 ft2), or fraction thereof, of the countertop or work surface. A receptacle outlet shall be provided for every additional (18 ft2), or fraction thereof, of the countertop or work surface."

The question has come up is a duplex receptacle considered two outlets? Example: Island with a square foot measurement of 30 ft2, if they have a (2) gang box with (2) duplex receptacles, does that cover the intent?

The definition of receptacle states "multiple receptacle is two or more contact devices on the same yolk..."

Just looking for clarification to ensure it is being enforced correctly (do not want to require a three gang box if it is not a code requirement). Thank you in advance.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I believe you need 3 boxes, 1 for the first 9sf, 1 for the next 18sf, and 1 for the remaining 3sf (i.e., a fraction of 18sf). I suppose each box could have a simplex outlet, but that would be a rotten thing to do to the owner.

Here's a question: Does each box need to be within or near the 9 or 18sf area it is intended to serve? In other words, if you put all 3 boxes at one end of the island, possibly 10 feet from the other end, is that compliant?

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
I believe you need 3 boxes, 1 for the first 9sf, 1 for the next 18sf, and 1 for the remaining 3sf (i.e., a fraction of 18sf). I suppose each box could have a simplex outlet, but that would be a rotten thing to do to the owner.

Here's a question: Does each box need to be within or near the 9 or 18sf area it is intended to serve? In other words, if you put all 3 boxes at one end of the island, possibly 10 feet from the other end, is that compliant?
210.52(C)(3). One required within 2’ of one end. Designer’s choice of location after that. Wait to ya’ll see the 2023 requirements.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential

I don’t have NEC book on hand but reading op, it sounds as if code can be interpreted as either 1 receptacle for the first 9 square feet or fraction plus one if the total area reaches 18 square feet first 9 plus 9 square feet. However I assume code meant the first 9 feet plus an additional 18 feet and beyond? My code book is at work so I can’t clarify?

Paul_Briganti

Washington Electrical CEU, LLC
Occupation
Educator / VP Electrical Apprenticeship ABC Western Washington
We have to be careful. The code calls for a receptacle outlet, not a receptacle. The receptacle outlet is the box the receptacle installs in. I concur with Charlie B, you need three boxes. You can put as many receptacles in them as you want...

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
210.52(C)(3). One required within 2’ of one end. Designer’s choice of location after that. Wait to ya’ll see the 2023 requirements.
I only have the 2023 edition. 210.52(C)(3) was completely revised. Since I don't have access to the 2020, I can't see what changed. However, no requirement looks different from what I remembered. It's all about placing receptacles no more than 20" above the counter or on the counter or not more than 12" below the counter.

In the 2023 edition, the 2" requirement appears in 250.52(C)(2)(b). It applies only to peninsulas. It says that one receptacle outlet must be within 2" of the outer edge. No such requirement exists for islands.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Yes, we go from possibly requiring up to 4 or 5 on a large island to none. Go figure.
How did you arrive at that conclusion? 210 52(C)(2)(a) applies to islands as well as peninsulas. This is where the 9sf and 18sf rule appears. It's not new for 2023.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
I don’t have NEC book on hand but reading op, it sounds as if code can be interpreted as either 1 receptacle for the first 9 square feet or fraction plus one if the total area reaches 18 square feet first 9 plus 9 square feet. However I assume code meant the first 9 feet plus an additional 18 feet and beyond? My code book is at work so I can’t clarify?
You need one for the first 9sf. You need a second for the next 18sf, a third for the next 18sf, and so forth. The 18sf includes any fraction thereof. An 8sf island needs only one. A 12sf island needs 2. A 27sf island also only needs 2. A 30sf island needs 3.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Now that I have reread the article, my answer to my own question is yes. It would be compliant, but a really bad design.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
You need one for the first 9sf. You need a second for the next 18sf, a third for the next 18sf, and so forth. The 18sf includes any fraction thereof. An 8sf island needs only one. A 12sf island needs 2. A 27sf island also only needs 2. A 30sf island needs 3.
Does the next “18” feet include the first 9 feet or is this an additional 18’ feet on top of the first 9’ feet and is the fractional area above 18’ considered 1 more receptacle?

mhosier

My call as the inspector was to add the third box for the third receptacle outlet. It was over-ridden by the higher ups (which i do not mind personally) but I wanted to ensure my enterpretation was on the right track.

As I understand it, there is (1) receptacle outlet (box) for the first 9 ft 2, then (1) receptacle outlet for the following 18 ft2, then since they exceeded that there was a requirement for a third.

This island in particular had a waterfall side, then a large overhang for barstool seating, so they had to place all (3) receptacle outlets on one side (which was compliant from my understanding).

Thank you to everyone who responded.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
You need at least one receptacle outlet for the first 9 sq. ft. See Charlie's Rule. The NEC is very specific on this. Island and peninsular countertops pertain to sq. ft. coverage, linear footage is referred to countertops that can measured along a wall line.

Occupation
electrical Code instructor and mentor
210.52 (C) (2) (a) now requires "At least one receptacle outlet shall be provided for the first (9 ft2), or fraction thereof, of the countertop or work surface. A receptacle outlet shall be provided for every additional (18 ft2), or fraction thereof, of the countertop or work surface."

The question has come up is a duplex receptacle considered two outlets? Example: Island with a square foot measurement of 30 ft2, if they have a (2) gang box with (2) duplex receptacles, does that cover the intent?

The definition of receptacle states "multiple receptacle is two or more contact devices on the same yolk..."

Just looking for clarification to ensure it is being enforced correctly (do not want to require a three gang box if it is not a code requirement). Thank you in advance.
hello, mhosier,
The section you are describing is from 2020 NEC. It's not in the 2023. I refer all my Code stuff and such to the 2023.

See Article 100 Definitions. Receptacle. Read it and..... "notice the difference between a "duplex" and a "single" receptacle?"
Also, read the Informational Note, too.

While you're there in Article 100 check the definition of Receptacle Outlet. It reads like it's a duplex receptacle...."one or more ......".

Is this a duplex or maybe 2 duplexes in a 4 square box?

Or, does it match the definition found there in 220.14 ( I). A single piece of equipment consisting of a multiple receptacle comprised of four or more receptacles shall be calculated at not less than 90 volt-amperes per receptacles. It doesn't apply to 210.11(C) (1)and (2).

Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted.
TEX+MASTER #4544

PS I would like to open up the new 2023 Section NEC 210.52(C)(2) (3) (1)-(3). I have a problem with it. And it could be a serious problem for those who don't pay close attention to it and are still 'attached' to the 2020 NEC.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
How did you arrive at that conclusion? 210 52(C)(2)(a) applies to islands as well as peninsulas. This is where the 9sf and 18sf rule appears. It's not new for 2023.

The 2023 NEC does not require any receptacles at an island or peninsula counter in a kitchen. It does have some provisions to add some in the future. Underlining and red text is mine for the 2023,

2020 NEC

N 210.52(C)(2) Island and Peninsular Countertops and Work Surfaces.

Receptacle outlets shall be installed in accordance with 210.52(C)(2)(a) and (C)(2)(b).

(a) At least one receptacle outlet shall be provided for the first 0.84 m2 (9 ft2), or fraction thereof, of the countertop or work surface. A receptacle outlet shall be provided for every additional 1.7 m2 (18 ft2), or fraction thereof, of the countertop or work surface.

(b) At least one receptacle outlet shall be located within 600 mm (2 ft) of the outer end of a peninsular countertop or work surface. Additional required receptacle outlets shall be permitted to be located as determined by the installer, designer, or building owner. The location of the receptacle outlets shall be in accordance with 210.52(C)(3).

A peninsular countertop shall be measured from the connected perpendicular wall.

2023 NEC

(2) Island and Peninsular Countertops and Work Surfaces
Receptacle outlets, if installed to serve an island or peninsular countertop or work surface, shall be installed in accordance with 210.52(C)(3). If a receptacle outlet is not provided to serve an island or peninsular countertop or work surface, provisions shall be provided at the island or peninsula for future addition of a receptacle outlet to serve the island or peninsular countertop or work surface.
(3) Receptacle Outlet Location
Receptacle outlets shall be located in one or more of the following:
  1. On or above, but not more than 500 mm (20 in.) above, a countertop or work surface
  2. In a countertop using receptacle outlet assemblies listed for use in countertops
  3. In a work surface using receptacle outlet assemblies listed for use in work surfaces or listed for use in countertops
Receptacle outlets rendered not readily accessible by appliances fastened in place, appliance garages, sinks, or rangetops as covered in 210.52(C)(1), Exception No. 1, or appliances occupying assigned spaces shall not be considered as these required outlets.

Occupation

Correct,

Correct, charlie b:

This is Section 210.52 (C) (2) 2020 NEC. Not in the 2023 NEC.

And here's how he did it:

12 sq ft example
-9 sq ft for the first required receptacle at 9 sq ft per Code
3 sq ft for next additional receptacle
Total 2 receptacles

27 sq ft example
- 9 sq ft for the first receptacle at 9 sq ft per Code
18 sq ft for next additional receptacle
Total 2 receptacles

30 sq ft example
- 9 sq ft for the first receptacle
21 sq ft
-18 sq ft for next additional receptacle
-3 sq ft for next additional receptacle
Total 3 receptacles

Note: Had there been fractions involved, NEC says for every additional 18 sq ft, or fraction thereof you must include it in your calculations, which means you have to include it, thus you would add one more receptacle. We had none in these examples. It's like, "rounding "up".

Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted.
TX+MASTER#4544

Occupation
To all interested posters. mhosier, greentager, jpflex, kec

Here's more about a kitchen island receptacle image in the 2020 NEC Handbook that shows only one receptacle and the island is 54 inches by 20 inches.

Now, the dimensions are based on square inches, 54 x 24 inches, which I believe is typical for most cabinet builders when designing cabinets.

So, we have to convert square inches to square feet in order to conform to the square footage as found there in 210.52 (C) (2).

Here's how to do that.

Convert 1,080 square inches to square feet.

54 inches x 20 inches = 1,080 square inches.

Take the 1,080 square inches x 0.006944 = 7.49 square feet now or 8 square feet.

So the 8 square feet is within the first 9 square feet as per 210.52 (C) (2), a minimum of one.

Thus, only one receptacle is required. As illustrated.

Section 210.52 (C) (3) Receptacle Outlet Location. Receptacle outlets shall be located in one or more of the following, (1) (2) (3).
NEC Code Commentary,2020, states that island countertops do not have a mandatory receptacle outlet placement requirement, and the minimum number of outlet(s) determined in accordance with 210.52 (C) (2)(a) can be located as desired by the owner, installer (electrician),or designer.

TX+MASTER#4544
Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted.