Kitchen circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwelectric

Re: Kitchen circuits

Well my good friend Bob I use the following quotes from the 2005 cycle of the code to back my understanding of the ?intent? of the requirements of the countertops.

210.52 (C)(5) Receptacle Outlet Location. Receptacle outlets shall be located above, but not more than 500 mm (20 in.) above, the countertop.

Exception to (5): To comply with the conditions specified in (1) or (2), receptacle outlets shall be permitted to be mounted not more than 300 mm (12 in.) below the countertop.
For some reason or the other the Code Panel put these measurements in this section (210.52) for us to install by.
They could have meant one thing or they could have meant something else but to me they mean that any receptacles installed between these two dimensions are required to be on the small appliance circuit.

I think that there is some confusion as to what is being said in 210.52 (C) (1) Wall Counter Spaces.
Just what is a Wall Counter Spaces?
It is simply one that is attached to a wall or not an island or peninsular counter space.

The requirement found in 210.52 (B)(3)
(3) Kitchen Receptacle Requirements. Receptacles installed in a kitchen to serve countertop surfaces shall be supplied by not fewer than two small-appliance branch circuits, either or both of which shall also be permitted to supply receptacle outlets in the same kitchen and in other rooms specified in 210.52(B)(1).
Tells us to look at 210.52(B)(1)
all countertop outlets covered by 210.52(C),
and here we find
receptacle outlets for counter spaces shall be installed in accordance with 210.52(C)(1) through (C)(5),
where we find the 20 inch and 12 inch rule.

I agree that any receptacle rendered inaccessible does not count as one of the required receptacles but I find no relief form the required circuits of 210.52 (B)(3).

Right or wrong this is where I stand and I will not be wavered. Every person of higher authority that I have asked or heard speak agrees with the above so therefore it is their consensus.
To the best of my knowledge the NEC itself is nothing more than a consensus of those involved in the making of the article and section. Based on this fact when I hear one of the members of the Panel involved with the making of the rule speak I listen and try to learn just as I use the ROP and ROC to base my opinions.

jwelectric

Originally posted by jwelectric:
Let?s say for the sake of argument that I was going to do my whole kitchen as shown on the left of this picture.

Could I then get by without any receptacles?

If I did install receptacles could they all be on a 15 amp circuit?

Would they have to comply with 210.52 (B)&(C)?

:)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by jwelectric:
No, install plug mold to the underside of the top cabinet
From the look of that cabinet, a receptacle outlet installed there would not be accessible whether the doors were open or closed. :p

jwelectric

I should have included that if the bottom of the upper cabinet will not work then no less than 12 inches down. One or the other will be required to fulfill:
210.52 (C) Countertops. In kitchens and dining rooms of dwelling units, receptacle outlets for counter spaces shall be installed in accordance with 210.52(C)(1) through (C)(5).

Status
Not open for further replies.