LB to meter base

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
This explains it to me.

Around here (Wilmington, NC) the PoCo supplies the CT cabinet but the EC is responsible for bonding the CT cabinet. The AHJs allow a jumper from the neutral inside the CT cabinet or a ground from the 1st means of disconnect to come back to the CT cabinet to provide the EGC for the cabinet (this is using PVC conduit). If ned is used to bringing back the EGC from the 1st means of disconnect then I can see what he's trying to do.
I can see where Ned is accustomed to installing that conductor, but in all probability it is not needed with the 200 amp base as the neutral is most likely already bonded. In either event a chase nipple should be acceptable with bonding at one end of the conduit.

hardworkingstiff

I can see where Ned is accustomed to installing that conductor, but in all probability it is not needed with the 200 amp base as the neutral is most likely already bonded. In either event a chase nipple should be acceptable with bonding at one end of the conduit.

So drop the #4 ground wire, leave the neutral in the meterbase connected to the can, bond the neutral and grounds together in the 1st means of disconnect along with the GEC and have a metal conduit (properly bonded) between the meterbase and the 1st means of disconnect.

The metal conduit is a parallel path for neutral current, and this meets current code?

fondini

Hi all. I have some clearance issues and I am wondering the best way to attach a 2" LB directly to the side of a 200 amp meter can. I'm guessing a chase nipple would not be watertight? Or satisfy bonding requirements? Thanks for any help, Ned.

i would use a meyer hub

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
i would use a meyer hub
That means a short nipple between the hub and the LB, which is what the OP is trying to avoid. He wants them closer.

I agree with the chase nipple, omitting the #4, and bonding the conduit at the other end.

sparks2000

Feeding a garage with on branch circuit?

Feeding a garage with on branch circuit?

I will be feeding this detached garage with just a brach circuit so I know I don't need a disconnect, my question is between the house and garage there is a concrete sidewalk. So with out damaging or ripping out the sidewalk, what are my options, I'm stumped??

That means a short nipple between the hub and the LB, which is what the OP is trying to avoid. He wants them closer.

I agree with the chase nipple, omitting the #4, and bonding the conduit at the other end.

Thank you for all the help guys. Have had my head stuck in code book for the last two hours!
I'll go with this. Since the panel has concentric KOs, I'm reading that I will need a bonding bushing in the panel?
All conduit is emt. Thanks, Ned
And Hardworkingstiff has me pegged!

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
That would be my take. As Larry states, chase nipple, eleiminate the #4 and bond the conduit (in the panel).

I will be feeding this detached garage with just a brach circuit so I know I don't need a disconnect, my question is between the house and garage there is a concrete sidewalk. So with out damaging or ripping out the sidewalk, what are my options, I'm stumped??

You'll have to go under the sidewalk.

realolman

Just dig under it. ... In your own thread.;)

You could probably dig a hole on both sides and drive a piece of pipe thru ... not the one you're gonna put the wires in.

Maybe some sort of long auger in your drill.
just dig under it with a hand held garden spade from both sides.

You might be able to lift the sidewalk slab and put it back.

... you can think of something:)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You could probably dig a hole on both sides and drive a piece of pipe thru ... not the one you're gonna put the wires in.

Maybe some sort of long auger in your drill.
just dig under it with a hand held garden spade from both sides.
I have used long flex-bits for this many times. They bore through the dirt and have a hole for pulling the wire through.

Status
Not open for further replies.