Legal?

yesterlectric

Occupation
Electrician
I saw in 2023 they had to add a rule that panelboards can not be installed face up because apparently someone did that at a laundromat. There’s no rule against installing them face down though….. We can’t make enough NEC rules to stop stupid.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
If you turn the picture right side up, and, picture it in the side of a hill instead of the ground it gets much more tolerable. :)

Jap>

norcal

480V submersible pump, on the top of the well they installed a 30A 600V NEMA type 1 GE safety switch, this would also be in my opinion a residential install supplies a double wide mfg home, and a AG shop which is where the 480 came from, there is a MIL unit attached to the shop & that was the only place I ever have seen 277V lighting in a residence, gone now. Everyone gets to see strange things, some worse then others.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I saw in 2023 they had to add a rule that panelboards can not be installed face up because apparently someone did that at a laundromat. There’s no rule against installing them face down though….. We can’t make enough NEC rules to stop stupid.
The face up rule was in 2020 and 2023 added a face down rule.
408.43 Panelboard Orientation.
Panelboards shall not be installed in the face-up or face-down position.

yesterlectric

Occupation
Electrician
Imagine telling a customer “hey we can install that panel board suspended with threaded rod face down from the ceiling if you hire me before my state adopts the 2023 NEC!”

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Working space has nothing to do with fuses or other types of OCPD. I require 110.26(A) for all disconnects as those are very likely to have the voltage checked while they are energized.
WA state has an amendment that disconnects without fuses or breakers doesn't need to comply with 110.26. They treat it like a single pole switch. So there are some places that view this as an important factor. I think that 3r isn't enough for a bellow grade install like that without a structure.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
WA state has an amendment that disconnects without fuses or breakers doesn't need to comply with 110.26. They treat it like a single pole switch. So there are some places that view this as an important factor. I think that 3r isn't enough for a bellow grade install like that without a structure.
CMP 11 addressed that issue for AC disconnects in the 2023 code.
440.14 Location.
Disconnecting means shall be located within sight from, and readily accessible from, the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment. The disconnecting means shall be permitted to be installed on or within the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment. Disconnecting means shall meet the working space requirements of 110.26(A). ...