Let's Twist Again - Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSamson

I went on a service call yesterday. One of the kitchen counter receptacles wasn't working.

In the box upstream, none of the connections had been pre-twisted. The neutrals were completely melted and the pigtail ground to the receptacle had backed itself out. (Sorry for the crappy camera phone photos.)

Full disclosure, I'm a pre-twister. I'm not sure it matters if you pre-twist, but if you don't, then it's probably a good idea to crank that wire nut down until it stops.

One other interesting note. This was a kitchen remodeled completed in the last 2 months. It did not take a lifetime of arcing to melt that wirenut.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I went on a service call yesterday. One of the kitchen counter receptacles wasn't working.

In the box upstream, none of the connections had been pre-twisted. The neutrals were completely melted and the pigtail ground to the receptacle had backed itself out. (Sorry for the crappy camera phone photos.)

Full disclosure, I'm a pre-twister. I'm not sure it matters if you pre-twist, but if you don't, then it's probably a good idea to crank that wire nut down until it stops.
One other interesting note. This was a kitchen remodeled completed in the last 2 months. It did not take a lifetime of arcing to melt that wirenut.

Its a good idea in any case. Pretwisting does not make a good mechanical connection. Thats what the wirenut is for.

480sparky

Its a good idea in any case. Pretwisting does not make a good mechanical connection. Thats what the wirenut is for.

So what good does twisting do when you solder and tape? The solder is not allowed to be the connection [110.14(B)] andf the tape sure ain't gonna cut it.

When I pretwist, that's what makes the electrical and mechanical connection. The wire nut is just for insulation.

220/221

pretwisting, if done properly makes an excellent mechanical connection.

As does a properly installed wirenut.

When I remove a nut that I put on, the copper is twisted together.

Ya gotta put some effort into it fellas :D

Jim W in Tampa

First be sure to thank the first guy for creating the work. Note that they did call that EC back for warranty. Yes if wire nut is put on perfect it needs no twisting,problem is you can't see inside to check. Best results will be pretwist then use wire nut. Non pretwisting is legal but simply not the best. I see blue boxes were used, were they the cheap ones bought at big orange ? When i see them it's a red flag that installer was cheap on material and likely labor too.
Hope you suggested inspecting all of that new work. if 1 was done that way rest likely be same.

480sparky

I will take vanilla please. :grin:

Would you like the little chocolate sprinkles on it?
smiley_icecream.gif

Like other topics of discussion here, some methods just take more care by the installer to perform properly.

Personally, I always twist.

Jim W in Tampa

As opposed to the Carlon boxes purchased at the supply house?
Just asking if they were. If installer used low price boxes its just likely wasnt only place he cut corners. I seldom see these results when wires were twisted. Out come is good we kept another electrician busy. Always enough time to redo.

480sparky

Just asking if they were. If installer used low price boxes its just likely wasnt only place he cut corners. I seldom see these results when wires were twisted. Out come is good we kept another electrician busy. Always enough time to redo.

But what does the box have to do with the make-up? Suppose this was a Raco 4sq box with NM clamps and a mud ring? Make-up probably would have been done the exact same way with the exact same result.

Jim W in Tampa

But what does the box have to do with the make-up? Suppose this was a Raco 4sq box with NM clamps and a mud ring? Make-up probably would have been done the exact same way with the exact same result.

If they spent that much then they probably care about quality. Lets face it the op shows not only lack of pretwist but not even an attempt to tighten the nuts. Probably done by green help or home owner with out any idea what they did.

hershey

I would never consider installing wire nuts without first twisting. Too often I've been on a service call and had to turn off the circuit because the wires weren't installed correctly and was afraid to remove the wirenut from the neutral. As for the blue boxes, those stupid things are actually over 2.00 each. Those aren't the cheap carlon boxes they are the carlon "super boxes" Still proof of a hack.

Status
Not open for further replies.